Posts by Rael

nope. Both were played in North America and so

In London

You cant say a definitive "Nope" Christian. I saw them 5 times on that tour and on no occasion did they play both those songs on the same night and that includes twice at Earls Court. It might be that they did play both and dropped something else on occasions during the European tour and I have no idea what they did in North America.

Because of that, drummers now need a metronome track to start exactly at the right tempo.

If you talk about drum machines (Mama, Invisible Touch), ok, but again that doesn't mean that what he has to play is that easy... "Mama" drum part is not "just diddling about over the top"...

Drum machines are the ground for some songs, but you still have to build the house on it.

I must admit I was being deliberately provocative when I said he was diddling. Yes of course rather than hating drum machines Phil embraced their potential and used them to great effect on many Genesis songs. Re-enforcing his talent as a great drummer and composer. As a result many Genesis songs will use a pre-recorded track or sample. I just get the impression, whereas previously they may have been used to start a song and then they actually played the rest. Its now pervasive throughout the entire piece. Okay that may be a new approach and they may have used a "click" in 2007 and possibly 1992. Timing needs to be perfect in order to sync to complex video for one thing.

Many years ago I used to work with a guy who was a roadie on the Lamb tour. He told me that they tried to use automation to project the slides but because of timing issues it had to be done by hand. There is certainly no click track on Seconds out and 3 sides live and they sound all the better for it.

Does anyone know if all the shows are being officially recorded like they were during the 2007 tour?

I think it goes without saying that there will be a live recording available. Cd and/or DVD. Although they already have a recording of the rehearsals. I'm certainly not going to buy it. I'm sure I will really enjoy the live show. The atmosphere and the sense of occasion. But watching the documentary I'm not impressed. Phil has to sing the songs in a different way now and, although he is in tune, I dont like it. Plus no major band goes on tour these days without sequencing. That might be okay for the Spice Girls but It sounds too robotic. Nic is just diddling about over the top of sequenced beats most of the time!

The documentary has appeared on YouTube

warning - massive spoilers!

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I would advise everybody against watching this. Too many spoilers!! I stopped half way through. I don't mind seeing the stage set up and a few of the songs but felt it was getting too much. Better to wait 'til you have seen the show for real. Also Phil sounds like he has badly fitting false teeth. That cant be right? He must have implants, he is rich enough LOL. It will sound just great on the night but don't think I will be buying the inevitable DVD.

I’m confused. Not to start another debate over this stuff but in reality doesn’t that decision (mask/vaccine requirements) reside with the government? Does me mean he will only play in cities where there are no such requirements?

I guess that's why he is only playing in the South Eastern states. I saw a piece on the BBC the other day where they said that big Republican Trump supporting states like Florida/Texas and deeply religious states in the south are not taking much notice of Covid. I guess the management went to other venues and stated that Clapton wont play if restrictions would be implemented and they said "bye bye then"!

them they would ship the gear again ;)

I believe it's only up to the regulations that will be different in Ireland compared to the UK

I'm thinking you have misunderstood my post Christian?

If Dublin is cancelled the tour start is then Belfast which is both in Ireland and the UK. Although they are making their own Covid regulations there they are broadly in line with England as is the Vaccination rate. I dont think Mr manager will like the idea of shipping to Belfast and back where the whole cost will then placed on one show rather spread across 3. Belfast plus 2 x Dublin. So they will start in Birmingham.

some news sites have stated that the tour begins in Birmingham ... and also the press kit obviously says "Celebrating the return of Genesis and their 2021 / 2022 arena tour..." which could mean two things:

Dublin will be postponed or cancelled

more shows in 2022 are likely, then Dublin will be postponed.

I could see that actually. Shipping all the gear to Ireland just for one show might not be economically viable. They could decide to start in Birmingham and the add Ireland to a Mainland European tour next year.

I would rather say that 17th September is a Friday and that's the reason ;)

Yeah, you always release on a Friday. But it could have been the 10th September. Its difficult to read exactly what they are thinking with regards to Dublin from that date.

Anyway, seems its definitely happening if they are going for the full milking of another hits release.

Looking at the O2 Website you need to be fully vaxed to get in. Thats not specific to Genesis. Plenty of events on prior to them and I guess that could change nearer the time.

By its very nature this entire tour is a demonstration of their not doing live shows as they used to, so it's completely feasible for them to do those songs without the walk or PC on drums. I wouldn't rule them out.

No, you are correct and I'm not ruling anything out. This whole thread is just pure conjecture until we get to see the show so I'm just putting my thoughts out there as Moonlitknight had asked. But I cant see Phil singing I cant dance when he cant hardly walk. But then again they have never taken themselves that seriously so Phil might make a play on that.

I’m sitting here trying to figure out how much “gap time” the band will have available given the fact that a) Rutherford has said the aim is for a 2 hour setlist, and b) the band sees certain songs as falling into the “must play” category. In that category I identified the following songs: Land of Confusion; No Son of Mine; TTT circa 2007/Invisible Touch (assuming Phil’s voice can handle the vocals in TTT); Throwing it All Away; Follow You, Follow Me; Domino I and II; HBTS/SHBTS; Carpet Crawlers (it’s fairly easy on Phil’s voice and he loves that song); I Can’t Dance ; Los Endos (I’m praying it’s in the set but they’ve never played it on stage with just one drummer). If you throw song intros and banter in as close as I can figure that leaves 40-45 minutes or so for other material. Based on the promo vids and other sources it seems that Behind the Lines and perhaps Squonk may be in the offing. Abacab has been suggested as well (I guess based on some comments made by Nic Collins, though doing the instrumental outro with a single drummer would potentially rob the song of much of its power live). Assuming those were all played in their entirety (a big assumption I know) that would leave about 20 minutes or so. If we subtract time for the break between the main setlist and the encore(s) that would seem to leave 15-16 minutes. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a) whether this list as I’ve given seems likely and if not where I may be off base; and b) what might fill that 15-16 minute gap.

I cant see them doing I can't dance because they cant do the walk together. Follow you, follow me was used to give Chester a break and a chance for Phil to play on his own, so I cant see that one either. Unless of course Phil is gonna attempt to play drums then that would be a relatively easy one to play.

TMB is superb! They are doing an unusual setlist this time around. The first half of the concert will be stuff from 1976-78. The second half will be Gabriel-era material (they usually do strictly Gabriel-era tours)..

I saw TMB in London a couple of years ago doing a set similar to what you have described. I think the vocalist struggles a bit with the Phil Collins era songs as they seemed to do mostly instrumental stuff from 1976-78. Then the usual things from the Peter Gabriel time. My friends girlfriend thought it was the worst gig she had ever been to as she only really knows the hits! I enjoyed it though. Well worth going if you are a fan.

I am actually “afraid” they might do this keg of the tour, but EU citizens won’t come due to restrictions in connection with the delta variant (quarantine regulations etc). Or in other words, it could happen that travel won’t be that easy then but the shows will go ahead as planned. Not the likeliest of all predictions, but if that happens, I really would be quite disappointed. I know a lot of fans from Germany who want to see a UK show.

I think it could be the likeliest of predictions. Whilst I'm no fan of Boris Johnson I believe him that we will open up completely in July in the UK. I don't think this is the correct thing to do. We should still have testing or proof of vaccination for large events. But in the governments mind they are only worried about how many people are showing up at the hospital. They don't want scenes like we see in India of people dying outside the hospital waiting to get in. Not good for re-election So I believe this tour will take place. As for people coming from the EU I expect it will depend on infection rates in each country. You have 1500 cases a day in Germany right now so they are managing to keep it quite low at the moment.

The banned treatment of ivermectin is one such treatment that was shown to save lives and for super cheap. A treatment like that could probably have ended the pandemic months ago, or at least gotten society back to normal.

Loads of information is being suppressed. I have never seen such blatant censorship of information. Regular people's negative reactions to the vaccine have been deleted from social media. Reporters are being told not to report certain information and are starting to come out. Social media platforms are suppressing vaccine hesitancy posts. We have whistleblowers coming out from different places letting us know about these things. I could go on and on...

My "possibly led to more deaths" comment is said because I believe it did lead to more deaths, but given the fluid nature of how we report stats anymore during this pandemic we can't even really be sure of anything statistically. But the idea that the politicalization of the issue could have possibly led to less deaths as I think you are implying is unlikely no matter what you believe.

In the Uk our national health service discovered that Dexamethasone, a cheap drug costing a few dollars a box, has been effective in treating cases of Covid and is now used all over the world. Why would they possibly not use ivermectin if it worked? The NHS reported that its anti-viral and anti- inflammatory properties were insufficiently robust to warrant any further study.

Officially announced by the Irish Government that pilot events will take place over June/July but all outdoor. From Aug 2nd only 100s allowed inside indoor venues

https://www.thejournal.ie/spec…-in-june-5450914-May2021/

Looking like the Dublin shows will be cancelled

I never really understood these pilot events we had in the UK. Was it just a work opportunity scheme for scientists? People had a negative covid test before the event and then packed in like in the old days and guess what, nobody got covid. Surely rather than opening up entirely on June 21st ( now likely to be delayed anyway). We should be saying that indoor events with more than 500 people should have to provide a negative test or proof of vaccination. Nobody wants to have to provide a certificate to go down the pub but should be easy enough to do with large events. Otherwise what is the point of these pilot events?

I think that looks more like percussion stuff behind the backing singers. Maybe to be used when not singing on various songs. I cant see how that could all be brought forward easily either.

Could be wrong but I really cant see Phil playing on this tour.

I know there was a photo released of early rehearsals in just in a room with a small drum kit next to Phil. But I've always thought that was probably just for Phil to demonstrate parts for Nick. You cant learn everything Phil plays from listening or watching DVD's. Believe me I've tried!