Posts by Squonk

Good to see Motherlode getting some love :)

For a dreamy ten-year-old listening when it came out as I was, outstanding song for me, that bit between 3:36 and 3:42 just has to be turned up loud and then the finale bursts into life, if there's a song poll on here for ATTWT then Motherlode would be my first choice (and FYFM the very last - I have always thought it a bit of a fish out of water on the album).

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

So which is number 10, numbers 9 - 1 etc?

I'll do this but I hadn't considered them in any order per se.

1. Ripples (surely the best Genesis song ever?) ooh controversial

2. Deep In The Motherlode

3. Looking For Someone

4. Entangled

5. Undertow

6. Mad Man Moon

7, Land Of Confusion

8. Paperlate

9. Alone Tonight

10. Your Own Special Way

It's easy to see I'm still crazy after all these years about ATOTT and ATTWT and Merryman can consider 'imself lucky - I could easily have thrown Please Don't Ask into the ten!

And Paperlate??!!! As you said to each his own,

I'm steppin' in 'ere to defend meself - PAPERLATE is brilliant!! Bought it as a single originally (4-track EP was it?) and the song has that trumpet chorus (I love a bit o' brass, me) and also I think it's just a bit different and one of a few reasons why I love Paperlate!

But "Alone Tonight"? Really? :huh::huh::huh:

It's like a goddamn power ballad! That subtle dreamy vocal and then the drums smashing into the chorus... actually the chorus line would make the track fit on And Then There Were Three I feel - whatever, surely Alone Tonight must be one of the best songs on Duke? Really? Each to their own... 8o

One of my own mixes.

Dirt Road - This Old Ghost / You Must Be Out Of Your Mind - Magnetic Fields / The Backyard - Miracle Legion / Rain - Patty Griffin / Fall On Me - REM / Bleeders - The Wallflowers / Resurrection Fern - Iron And Wine / Don't Let Love Tear Apart (What Lust Has Brought Together) - Chris Gaffney and the Cold Hard Facts / Grace Cathedral Hill - The Decemberists / Hymn For Her - The Magic Numbers / The Cherry Tree - 10,000 Maniacs / Houses On The Hill - Whiskeytown / What Holly Sees - Madder Rose / Splendid Isolation - Wareen Zevon / Red - Treble Charger / Song For A Blue Guitar - Red House Painters / Torch Singer - Buffalo Tom / Tyre Tracks - The Unbelievable Truth / In Care Of 8675309 - Lambchop / Sometimes I Still Feel The Bruise - Mountain Goats / Crocodile Cryer - Martin Stephenson and the Daintees / In Love With A View - Mojave 3

A Trick Of The Tail, And Then There Were Three and Duke. I was twelve when the latter came out and the songs are just perfect, not a duff track on it or on A Trick Of The Tail. With And Then There Are Three I have always thought that the inclusion of Follow You Follow Me impaired it somewhat, bit of a fish out of water maybe. Still, this and despite my username is most certainly my favourite Genesis period.

In a local Aldi recently a guy was quietly singing along to "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" - it reminded me of Man Of Our Times though, that "tonight, tonight" part, anyway it prompted me to compile thirty favourite songs, shove them onto a stick (as one does these days) and enjoy.

1. Looking For Someone

2. The Musical Box

3. Horizons

4. I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)

5. The Carpet Crawlers

6. Your Own Special Way

7. Entangled

8. Squonk

9, Ripples

10. Mad Man Moon

11. Down And Out

12. Undertow

13. Deep In The Motherlode

14. Many Too Many

15. Alone Tonight

16. Please Don't Ask

17. Turn It On Again

18. Paperlate

19. You Might Recall

20. Misunderstanding

21. Mama

22. That's All

23. Throwing It All Away

24. Land Of Confusion

25. In Too Deep

26. Invisible Touch

27. No Son Of Mine

28. Jesus He Knows Me

29. Hold On My Heart

30. Not About Us

Okay, so from those my top ten would be...

Alone Tonight, Paperlate, Ripples, Deep In The Motherlode, Looking For Someone, Mad Man Moon, Undertow, Your Own Special Way, Land Of Confusion and Entangled.