Posts by foxtwin

Rolling Stone updated their top 500 songs list, which they made in 2004, to take a new broader look at pop and include more recent influential pieces. I scrolled through pretty quickly and only found one track by any Genesis-related artists:

Article here: In the Air Tonight is at 219

I was kind of hoping to see something like Land of Confusion or No Son of Mine make the cut, or M&tMs Silent Running, Miracle, or Living Years, or even Sledgehammer or In Your Eyes from Gabriel, but I didn't see them (perhaps I scrolled by too quickly)

They certainly are.

The above and eg HMV listing doesn't suggest 'edit' for anything other than Abacab so it's safe to assume the rest are as normal with segued tracks obviously fading out, with it remaining to be seen if Duchess fades in or starts as the single did, which would be better.

with some calculations, if we take all these as full album versions (except abacab) then runtimes are:

CD1: 1h 17m 11s

CD2: 1h 19m 45s <-- that's really close to the max, full abacab couldn't fit

here's my excel math in the attached image (for funsies):

questions:

is Duke's End actually an edit of Behind the Lines' beginning, bumped next to its counterpart at the end of Duke's End and mixed in transition to TIOA? (i.e. like the live track from the 07 tour?)

Will Cinema Show segue into Afterglow? If not, is there a fade-in to Afterglow? (otherwise you get a bit of In that Quiet Earth when Afterglow's drums start)

Duchess will fade in/out? (lookin' for clean edits here people)

Is Firth of Fifth the whole song or are they recreating the '07 live cut with a segue into IKWIL?

Is Tonight, Tonight, Tonight the whole song or a shorter version (again, like the live '07) and segue's into IT?

Moonlit Knight: at one time they did the beginning of this song and after the "selling England by the pound" lyric, they went into CC -- is that what they're doing here?

... okay if this is a studio version recreation of live versions, then I'm in. I've edited some tracks like that myself but would enjoy a pro version.

I got Columbus - here's how it went

Logged in 30 minutes early

At 10 early it refreshed the page and said wait to be put into the queue

At 0 minutes I was put in the queue with 600+ ahead of me (not bad)

When that ran up I got the map screen of the arena (here's where it got slightly weird)

I picked a section that (when I hovered my mouse over it) said tix were $250

I found two seats near the front that were available (already many unavailable)

Clicked next ... message said those seats were taken!

Found two other seats in a same-priced section (other side of arena)

Clicked next ... same message that I was beaten to those seats

Found two others seats in a same-priced section

Clicked next ... total is $1,200! what?! The price suddenly changed for that section!

Clicked back to find new seats and now many are filling up

Found some "at the very tiny people at the back" section - sigh

Clicked next ... message said "sit tight, we're getting your tickets"

... waiting ... waiting ... then it times out and says "the timeout is give everyone a fair shot" (>:|)

I go back *again* to the arena map and now there's hardly any seats in the price range I want (and none where 2 are together!)

SUDDENLY! A bunch of seats become available! (I guess others got timed out??)

Found two seats *near* the first section I was trying for - GOT EM!

I'm pleased enough with my seats and the price (I expected over $200 - got them for $250 ea.)

but lordy lord I CALL SHENANIGANS on the deceptive pricing, the "available" seats becoming "unavailable" when I clicked to buy them, the unfair timeout (when it was them, not me, who was taking their time), and the sudden re-emergence of seats!

Good luck everyone! I saw seats priced at $800+ and those weren't even on the floor.

OH-IO!

Not for nothing but Silver Rainbow would be a very odd song to end an album on.

That said, it's a very odd song no matter where it falls in the running order. I'm very fond of it.

Agreed and agreed. The song just doesn't make much sense, but it's what I love about it

I think I started a thread like this (maybe?) and I had the same rules but I added one more stipulation: it can only have a complete runtime of 45-50 minutes--that's when it starts to really hurt!

An odd one to do is the "Genesis" album because, there were no B-sides were there? The solution for me would be to simply remove Illegal Alien and include the long versions of Mama and It's Gonna Get Better, then mix it up a little.

Mama (long version)

Home by the Sea

Taking it all Too Hard

That's All

Just a Job to Do

It's Gonna Get Better (long version)

Silver Rainbow

I got two Genesis songs and one PC immediately. The third took some thinking about but after mulling over a few songs , I got Jesus He Knows Me. The ones I got straight away were Dreaming While You Sleep, Domino and of course In The Air Tonight. . I think that will my limit as I m not so familiar with PC songs.

Yeah, those are the 3 from Genesis - honorable mentions would be:

Only Your Love (Ant's song, sung by Phil in a demo)

and

You Might Recall ("all of our lives")

For Phil, In the Air Tonight and All of My Life have been mentioned ... but there are:

3 on "No Jacket Required,"

a b-side,

2 from "But Seriously" (All of My Life already named, so one more),

1 from "Both Sides"

... and probably more that I can't even think of ...

Saw a Barry Williams Show CD single and it had two tracks of the song, the "Unadulterated" version (which I assume is just the single) and also an "Adulterated" version ... anyone know what that's about? Does it have different lyrics or something?

I would like to know your (anyone's) honest thoughts about the songs on the Spot the Pigeon EP:

Match of the Day

Pigeons

Inside and Out

I'll save my opinions for now but suffice it to say, these songs confuse me.

Thank you

the first and last tracks of each of those sides share the same number of words?

the lamb lies down on broadway - 6

the grand parade of lifeless packaging - 6

dodo lurker - 2

another record -2

???