Posts by Thelawnmower

I suppose it all works if he is not intending to release the album until after the tour.

I like the whole full moon thing and the slow release of tracks. As long as he releases the ones he intends to play on tour on the next six months it would work out fine. Plus he can then road test them, tweak the mixes and then finish the album after the tour. However, he does talk about going to great lengths to get the track order right. I had assumed he meant he was realising them in album order but perhaps this is part of the process of sorting the order out. He does move in mysterious ways and at glacial speed so time will eventually tell.

I like it and gave it ten. I loved Smallcreep’s Day, found most of AVS unlistenable and then thought this was a return to form when I bought it as a single. I also liked the B Side. Since then I’ve felt that the Mechanics have become the ultimate day time radio 2 band, alongside the Corrs etc - nothing wrong with that but it’s not quite what I’m after. But I should give the albums a fair spin as I’m probably judging too much by the singles.

Right, just had another listen, the version I heard yesterday was edited and didn’t have the chat either side. Yes I think that bit of hi-hat is emphasised to bring out that trad jazz (Kind of Kenny Ball and his Jazz Men if anyone remembers them) feel. There is also a nod to the tiny cymbal a one man band could hit to emphasise a beat. It all adds to the juxtaposition of the jaunty background, laid back vocal sound, one note refrain and obsessive, odd subject matter. Incidentally, I’ve always thought Phil’s hi-hat technique further stands him apart from a lot of drummers, amongst his other superb talents. He has a way of using the hi hat to really syncopate a beat at times, I think especially in that Foxtrot to Wuthering era. Thinking of the little hi hat fill from The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway just a before ‘nighttime’s flyers..’ which he then adapts on the Band Aid record during the little keyboard solo. Simple, clever stuff.

Thanks Backdrifter, I was posting in a hurry yesterday and didn’t have chance to listen properly but will do later. I’ve always liked the drumming on Pigeons and could also imagine Phil sticking thimbles on to play a washboard on that one, with Rutherford wearing an orange and white striped blazer and playing a banjo. Bit of a hidden gem really, very understated.

Whereas Match of the Day couldn’t be understated enough- but that’s also for another thread….

I like it. I agree that Knocatise is at happy accident. I was disappointed when I found out that the line in Abacab was ‘There’s a hole in there somewhere’ when I’d heard it as ‘there’s a hole in the somewhere’ which seems much more esoteric to me. Anyway, nice track,

Like the comments about the relentless note adding to the obsessive nature of the lyrics, over a jaunty, almost trad jazz rhythm.

In a way, what might have been. A great opening, stunning drums and fantastic vocal. The unusual rhythm drives it along with a certain tension and it whets the appetite for an album which is going to challenge and explore. Sadly that doesn’t happen and it all gets a bit safe. But it proved that they could still produce music that stood out and made you sit up to listen. When The Musical Box performed this live they needed all hands on deck to get near it. Great stuff

For what it’s worth I think a sensible discussion about the pros and cons of the cruise was perfectly reasonable in this thread and was invited by Christian’s (also perfectly reasonable) opener. Inevitably that discussion will widen into other things ecological, or else it wouldn’t be balanced. I wouldn’t take part, as, despite teaching about ecology for a number of years, I don’t feel qualified any more to make any statement about it until I’ve done more research, but I thought some interesting points were made along the way. I also think we need to get back to a situation where people can explore, discuss and have a good old argument about things without descending into disrespect or being stopped in their tracks. That’s the only way reasoned argument will ever displace strife.

He didn't leave on particularly good terms (Phil feeling personally snubbed by the way he quit), then he went on to say bad things about the band to the press and instigate legal proceedings against them... It's not surprising they were a little cool towards him just four years later in 1982 (and beyond!)

I wasn't aware Steve instigated legal proceedings against Genesis? Could you say a bit more or point us to the info please? Thanks

Spoiler alert!!!

Great but of footage, which captures well the atmosphere at the gigs. To complete my last comments, the Liverpool gig was also outstanding and enhanced by Amanda’s appearance, who brought even more energy to events, as well as beautiful vocal work on Heirophant. Also, the shift from starting Los Endos off with drum solo rather than Myopia worked well, in effect giving each member of this talented band a chance to shine individually at some point. Nad has developed into a powerful presence and sang with strength and conviction throughout.
    These tours really have arrived at a sweet spot now and I just hope we can have a good few more.