Posts by Thelawnmower

I feel I’ve started something that’s going bad ways! I have lots of questions, why did Backdrifter have this information so readily to hand? How will I cope when I inevitably research Alan’s canon of work? Is there any risk that the spike in online interest will be noticed by his agent and cause him to go back into the studio? These are serious matters….

I think the look on his face at the end reveals Tony felt much the same as Backdrifter. He almost is the anti-Titchmarch.

For overseas friends- the presenter is Alan Titchmarch - a relentlessly chirpy tv gardener turned presenter of largely worthless light entertainment programmes and near the top of my list of people not to get stuck in a lift with.

Thanks for all the work that must be going into this.

As for likes/hearts. I'm probably being a curmudgeon, but I've never sent an emoji to anyone. I used to 'like' a lot of posts and if I've understood correctly that's the main way people amass points. I doubt I'll be sending pink hearts to anyone anytime soon, so I hope that's not the end of likes. A cheery thumbs up seems much more appropriate than a heart, but maybe I'm just too old.......

I think of Wind and Wuthering and the departure of Hackett as the turning point; prior to that a certain proggy/romantic/pastoral/long form music/less straightforward lyricism dominated, with shorter passages and songs which showcased a more streamlined style. (The Lamb being the odd one out in terms of romanticism and long form). After that, in various patterns, it was more the other way around, with perhaps Duke being the one which harked back a little more than than the others. But elements of both are present from beginning to end. I see Fading Lights as fitting easily into almost anywhere in the Genesis canon as an example. As Al Murray says, Genesis were the progressive band who dared to progress. I prefer the earlier albums but that is probably because they were the soundtrack to my teens and I'm glad they didn't end up parodying themselves into the 80s and 90s. I can find something to really get my teeth into in any of their albums.

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Steve performing this with Nad on the Blues Cruise in 2019. It had always been a regular feature with Gary singing and drumming but Steve hasn’t performed it in recent tours to my knowledge. Actually Nad does a very good job here but the recording is muddy so a bit hard to tell. Certainly Phil’s original had a purity that is hard to equal, never mind beat. And, despite everyone’s praise for it and Daryl’s high ranking, Genesis never performed it live, although it was a strong contender for 2007,

presumably losing out to Ripples. Maybe that tells us it’s a hard one to do live. The above video does bring out the easily overlooked baseline though.

One of the very best by Genesis and as Backdrifter put it, in his superb summary, deserves a wider audience. A bit like George surging forwards as the Beatles came to an end, this marks a high point for Steve before he struck out on his own properly. It’s hard to think of many other songs that balance so well melancholy and charm. The little break around 1.50 between the first verse and chorus is exquisite. Tragically we are still lamenting the lack of peace between Arabs and Jews so it has extra poignancy at the moment, definitely too much for me. There may not be much optimism in the lyrics and the music is undoubtedly melancholy for the most but, as I’ve said, there is a charm and a glimpse of lightness here and there to hang on to. That is what I think repays repeated listening.

Steve has performed some superb versions of this with Gary O’Toole singing and when I met Steve after Gary had left I asked would he still perform it. He said they had rehearsed it with Nad (they may have performed it with him on a cruise - I’ll check) and that he sang it a lot like Phil so I hope to see that at some point. But the album version takes a lot of beating for a vocal performance. Easily a 15

I’ve been I impressed with everyone’s thoughts and answers, fascinating. It seems a few prefer Mike’s earlier material although that’s not trie for everyone and it’s making me think I should explore the Mechanics a bit more. I’m glad to see some responses for Ray as well. It’s also refreshing to see quite a few like Steve’s middle period and not surprising to see few entries for the last few albums. I wonder if, like me, you’d have to play them to remind yourself which track was which, which is a shame. My New Year’s Resolution is to give them a good few spins and more of the attention I gave his earlier stuff, albeit at a very different time of life.