Posts by Thelawnmower

Thanks to both The Farmer and Schrottrocker for their very considered and informed thoughts. I suspect I had fallen into the trap of thinking he had introduced more nazi type imagery into this show but it sounds as if he is making his point in the same way he has done for years. I have seen him live and thought his moral compass was generally sound so I am happy to believe this is still the case. I’ve not bothered with this tour partly because it would be hard to top the last one but I did feel bombarded on the night with names and images and didn’t always feel I had the time to digest them and therefore to know what my position was. The rift with Mr and Mrs Gilmour is clearly bitter and it’s impossible to know all the roots of it. I hope he continues to speak out but I also think that he needs to continue to find ways of explaining his beliefs in detail, which would make it harder (not impossible) for him to be misrepresented.

I know, these are powerful images for wealthy English rock stars to waft about without necessarily understanding the profound feelings they evoke. No problem with being a bit edgy and challenging power and corruption but this seems well beyond that

A slightly drunken thought this…. I remember in various articles and biogs that members of Genesis may have played at each other’s weddings, especially Phil’s and Peter’s later marriages.

Do we have any information about who played what?

Thanks in advance-

I’m not at home so cannot check any facts for now

It’s a belter and proof, if needed, that Genesis could write well-formed short songs early on. The opening keyboard is portentous and the lyrics manage to bridge the gap between portraying a scene from everyday New York and the concept of a Lamb lying down for no obvious reason. It enables the story to get underway and is one of the best tunes on a great album. It also rocks, loudly, and has a nice middle section to act as contrast. Liked the version from the last tour but on Seconds Out I felt that the drumming (and I rate Chester very highly as a rule) tended to take some of the punch out of it. It was as if Phil’s tambourine kept the main beat and some fairly muffled drum rolls punctuated the gaps in vocals- whereas on the studio album the drums really drive it. Agree with comments about the bass, a reminder of what an outstanding rhythm section they had.I’ve mentioned it before but the little drum riff just ahead of ‘Nightime’s flyers…’ is very clever and stuck in Phil’s memory enough to adapt it for the Band Aid single.

Wouldn’t that be good? But sadly I think not. I know his band said it was too hard but they’d be easily capable of learning it but I can’t see him devoting such a chunk of set list time to it. I wouldn’t rule out a little bit of Genesis this time round but I still think it’s highly unlikely and not in keeping with his whole approach since the very early tours. But you never know. If he did do a bit of Genesis I’d expect a rearranged version of something fairly acoustic. However, I think he’s got plenty of his own material to chose from so why risk slipping into any of the pitfalls he has been avoiding all these years by not playing anything Genesis. Let’s hope I’m wrong. Just read that back and it sounds as vague as something Peter himself might mumble….

I couldn’t add much more to what has already been said by others, especially Backdrifter’s excellent analysis. It’s outstanding, one of the very best of the three man, or any era. They didn’t do much that equals this afterwards. Such variety in what feels like a very coherent track. The band at one of their many peaks.

I think we’ve had seven notifications of tv or magazine news this year so far (a couple of which are from Backdrifter, who also started the thread). Plus others about hearing Genesis on the radio. They all started some interesting debates. It’s still April so I think that’s pretty good for a band which has stopped working now. (Apart from solo work) I can’t remember the 3SL product as it’s a long time since I watched it so can’t comment until I watch it again.

I think that counts as a medley. Yes the Cinema show into Afterglow was always going to hard to beat as a segue- two of their best and most powerful and emotional pieces that worked so well together. Always the moment that stands out in my mind whenever they did it. I also like the abrupt change in Fading Lights on TLD. Much as I'd have liked to have heard the whole track, as it's one of their best, I thought the idea of singing 'remember' and then suddenly having a blast from the past was clever. Overall I think the medleys were a good way of trying to satisfy everyone, doomed as it was to failure. I do think, especially on the WCD tour, they went too far down the last two albums route, but I can understand why and they were good gigs. There was another medley - which I can't remember just now but I'll think about today, where they stopped and Phil counted in the next bit. I think it was planned that way but it did sound very odd. I'll now torment myself trying to remember it. I was there, so it narrows things down.

Just a reminder that I was there for the one I mentioned. It will certainly thin out the forum if we can only discuss what we have actually seen and anyone under forty can leave any debate about the Mama tour immediately. You are right though, their setlists were very well planned and appreciated. Many of the medleys - especially the ones built around In the Cage, were very smooth and others, presumably by necessity, were more Stop/Start. Either way they went down well but I think it’s a rich source of enjoyable discussion to debate which worked better than others. They deliberately juxtaposed Suppers Ready with Misunderstanding, as I’m sure Backdrifter knows and it was a clever thing to do to highlight the very contrast that makes them the band they are. As for Illegal alien, well it’s a shame that was ever made in the way it was. I think it’s a great song musically, but the lyrics and vocal delivery were at best naive at the time. Such was the culture of the 80s it wasn’t something I thought too deeply about then, fortunately the debate around issues of immigration has matured and I’m sure Genesis would do it differently now.

Hi

thanks

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F1HCvWW4VCE

Sorry don’t really know how to insert links properly. If anyone else can do it please help! I was there (as was Diana) to see this. Great to see the bits and they were very well played but I wanted more or all of Mar and none of the segues really worked. It was exactly as Phil described it and felt like a few things thrown together. But still much better than the Turn it on again medley, which was enjoyable but for a band who can’t fit in enough of their own material probably not best use of time.