Posts by Chessman

never really liked this one. Don't know why, I know it's a favorite of many fans.

My favorites are the title track, Narnia and How Can I?

Each to their own of course, and it's good that different people like different songs, it just shows how strong the album is, and how diverse. For me, How Can I is not one of my favourites, though I don't mind it. Generally, I've always preferred the funnier and quirkier side of Steve which is why I love Carry On Up The Vicarage. I've always liked Kim as well, though it's not likely he'll be playing that one again!

Not sure where I'd place the album amongst Steve's work, but it would be in my top ten at least. Difficult to choose a favourite track, but it's probably between Carry On Up The Vicarage and Icarus Ascending, though I also love Narnia and Hoping Love Will Last. Funnily enough, the title track doesn't grab me the way it grabs some people, but it's still a good track. One of my favourite album covers of Steve's too. :)

I seem to remember that Cherry Red Records are planning some kind of ultimate edition of that album. Ant Phillips said something along those lines in an interview earlier this year (but don't ask me where to find it). So patience might be the key.

This sounds interesting. I got the vinyl 'rock roots' version back in the seventies but have never bought a cd version of it. Over the years I've toyed with the idea of getting one but never have. Think I'll wait and see what happens regarding this possible release. May be one worth getting.

Again, interesting to read all the diverse comments here. Regarding Led Zep, I always enjoyed them, though not enough to buy all their stuff. When I was in grammar school in the early seventies, which was boys only, we all used to put our favourite band's name on our briefcases or satchels. The four names that appeared more than any other were Led Zep, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd and Slade. (In those days Slade were highly rated and were my favourite band). I enjoyed all those bands to an extent, though they all produced some stuff I wasn't as keen on.

Regarding Pearl Jam. I was never into the grunge type of sound, though I could tolerate a bit of Soundgarden. When it came to Pearl Jam, I just didn't like the vocals, not my type of singer at all. Same with Radiohead, I just don't like the vocals.

A band I always felt I should like, but never did, was Roxy Music. I loved their first single, Virginia Plain, but I was very disappointed in their debut album, though I know many liked it. For me, it was too weird and lacked strong melodies. Later on they turned too bland and radio friendly, to my ears. I also wasn't keen on Ferry's vocals, which came across as quite weak, though admittedly distinctive. Just not for me I'm afraid (I must admit though, in interviews, Ferry comes across as a really nice fellow).

Interesting to read all the different comments and opinions on here. Back in the seventies, The Eagles were one of my favourite non-prog bands. I loved their first four albums, especially On The Border. Then Bernie Leadon left.....

Now don't get me wrong, Joe Walsh was good in his own right, I even bought one of his singles, Life's Been Good, which also had an excellent instrumental on the B-side. For me though, once he joined the Eagles, the early magic quickly disappeared. When the album Hotel California came out, I was so disappointed. Of course, the title track is a classic and New Kid In Town is also very good, but as for the rest of the album, to me it was just filler. I think they tried too hard to ditch their country influences and become more of a standard rock group. For me, it didn't work. The songs were laboured and bland to my ears and they became just another band to me. The same applied to their subsequent releases, none of them ever again held my interest. Of course, they made their money and had all the classic 'rock star' fall outs and flare ups but that didn't help their cause in my eyes.

I remember seeing them, years later, on the telly, giving some concert or other. Of course, the place was sold out but they just weren't the old Eagles anymore, I think they were actually wearing suits! For these old musical cowboys, this was super show biz and, for me, a total sell out.

A shame really. :(

I will add just a couple more things to this discussion. Regarding all the comments about Queen. I was a fan from when they released Seven Seas Of Rhye, which I bought. Thought their first four albums were exellent, with some interesting and, at times, funny lyrics and I personally always like Brian May's guitar tone. Thought their fifth and sixth albums were good too, but from their seventh, Jazz, I felt they went downhill rapidly. Apart from those first six albums, the only other album by them that I really like is Innuendo. Got to say though, although Freddie was a good frontman, I would much rather have Plant or Gillan as front men.

Regarding overplayed songs, I too am totally sick of hearing Bohemian Rhapsody, We Are The Champions and We Will Rock You - all songs I liked when I first bought the albums. I think the worst single they ever did was Another One Bites The Dust, yet that seems to be their most popular with some people. What makes me laugh about some Queen fans is when I say I too was a Queen fan and I ask them what albums they have by Queen. Invariably the majority will say 'I've got the greatest hits' (!) Many of these so called fans look at me blankly when I ask them what they think of songs such as The Prophet's Song, Good Company, Ogre Battle, Lily Of The Valley etc. Not real fans methinks....

Regarding guitarists' tones, although I admired Jan Akkerman's playing ability with Focus, I never liked his tone, it was always too thin and weedy and high for my liking.

As for vocalists, I too don't care for Celine, Mariah or Whitney as others have mentioned here already, though the worst of the three has to be Mariah. I will add to that Tina Turner, although I did like some of her earlier stuff, such as Nutbush City Limits and River Deep - Mountain High. Can't stand her later stuff such as the awful Simply The Best. Can't stand Cher's voice either but, worse than any of those I've mentioned, when it comes to female singers, bottom of the pile for me has to be the atrocious Dolly Parton. Every time I hear that high pitched. helium fuelled whine I cringe!

That will do for now but I'm sure I'll think of others later :P

I'll keep mine very short, I don't actually hate any music, we all have different tastes and that's how it should be. However, for me personally, can't stand rap, hip-hop, gospel or reggae. Regarding artists, I've always felt the most overrated band ever was U2. Never liked Oasis, Nirvana, REM. Not into boy bands or girl bands, though I can see why they appeal to some people and I do have a grudging respect for Take That, simply because they've stood the test of time and can at least have a laugh over things and not take themselves too seriously.

Generally though, I can tolerate most things in music and if I don't like it I won't listen to it again! :)

My current top five would be (in no particular order):

The Flower Kings

Scandal

Transatlantic

The Band Geek (via youtube)

Strange Kind Of Women (via youtube)

8)