Posts by dodo

How difficult is it to find parking near The Baby Grand in Wilmington? Is it pricey or more reasonable?

If you are lucky you can find a spot on Market Street close to the venue. Parking is metered, but free after 6:30pm. When I go to see a show at The Grand I usually park at the DoubleTree hotel's garage at N.King & 7th streets. I think it was $11 the last time I parked there for a show.

For possible interest of forum members in the US Mid-Atlantic region: The Rock Orchestra (TRO) is staging two live performances of the Duke and Abacab albums this coming May:

This lineup is the same group of musicians who performed The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway in 2019, which you can watch in its entirety on YouTube: https://youtu.be/E5nZheA_Rfo

I'm reprising my role as Tony Banks for these shows, and am super psyched to get to play all the songs from two of my favorite Genesis albums!

I should mention that TRO is not a full-time Genesis tribute; we're more like a collective of musicians in the Delaware area who tackle 3 new tribute projects each year. The founding members plan each season and recruit different lineups of local musicians for each project. The musicians for this show are all huge Genesis fans & are looking forward to performing this amazing music!

I like "Man of our Times" as well. I also hear "places and traces of home" from "Back in New York City" with the main riff being based on a wide arpeggiated pattern.

The opening track from Keith Emerson's Christmas Album, first released in 1988, and a perennial favorite for me:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Another would be a thing I've pondered since I was about 12, and which I've mentioned elsewhere on this board (but I can't remember where), which is about the indistinct bit of vocal far back in the mix in Lilywhite Lilith, just after the line "by whatever's coming here".

I was curious about this, too! On the 5.1 mix this faint vocal is a bit clearer if you can isolate the track it's on. Sounds to me like "two golden globes hover above the ground".

Excellent choices. On a different day I might have NC or SEBTP as the 3rd choice but Lamb and Abacab are fixed as my top 2.

Thanks! I know for many fans "Abacab" is their least-favorite. In my case it was the "new" album when I discovered the band, and as is often the case one's first exposure to a band remains strong many years later. The songs are really quite strong as well. "Me & Sarah Jane", "Keep It Dark", "Dodo/Lurker" is still my favorite 3-in-a-row from any Genesis album, a sequence I'll often cue-up in my car on short trips around town.

"The Lamb" came much later in my Genesis explorations. It was a "slow grower" for me, but it grew strong & steadily. A few years ago I had the chance to learn and perform the entire album, and that only strengthened my appreciation for every song!

Some sequence of SEBTP, Foxtrot, WW, TatT, "shapes" would be my "next tier" of most-listened to Genesis albums.

I’d been looking forward to hearing Duchess but as you know they played Misunderstanding instead in Chicago which was a bit disappointing. When I finally heard it in Philly I have to admit I teared up. So wonderful, with fantastic visuals to boot.

YES! An immediate fist pump as soon as I heard the unmistakable drum-machine intro!! "Duchess" is one of my favorite Genesis songs, and I had read about it possibly being replaced by "Misunderstanding", so I was ecstatic they played it in Philly!

A late report here... my wife & I enjoyed the Dec 2nd show. I've been a fan of the band since Abacab, but never got to see them back in the 80s, nor on the 2007 tour, so I was very happy to finally have a chance to see them on this final tour. Excellent show, I'm so glad we went! It was rather sad to see how limited Phil's motion is, but he is still an amazing performer and the audience showed he & the band tons of love!

Our seats were "nosebleeds", 2nd-to-last row near the back/left of the arena. We got to our seats a full hour before showtime. I had just finished reading through the tour program when an attendant handed us new tickets to lower level seats with a side-stage view - row 15 behind Tony! As a keyboardist it was great to have a closer view to his rig and watch him play from a closer vantage point.

Abacab is one of the first Genesis songs to grab my attention. I was 13 when it came out, just starting to develop my taste in music. I enjoyed hearing Genesis on the radio (Abacab, Turn It On Again, also Phil's "Missed Again") & seeing this video on MTV. I remember being rather puzzled at the lyrics.

My initial take picked up on mysterious/surreptitious activity, but figured it may be more of a spy story and not a love affair. Looking under pillows, cracks in mirrors, behind the door, etc... looking for "bugs" or hidden cameras? Reflection of someone else's name = assumed alias? Waking up covered in cellophane and trying to find a hole (to breathe?) sounded like the protagonist had been kidnapped, "wrapped up" by an enemy, and now struggling to escape from a deadly trap. This interpretation may have been influenced by hearing "Just a Job To Do" from the next album, or even "The Cage" (which I only knew from 3SL for many years)!

I read an interview years later where Phil said he often just "scats" whatever words or phrases pop into his mind when working on new songs. I wonder if that applies to any of the lyrics on Abacab?

I also assumed that the "Enossification" covered the vocal treatments you mentioned.

Another sound mystery for me comes in The Waiting Room... there's a bit of computer-blippy kinds of sounds that fade in & out that are clearly *not* ProSoloist. I've wondered if Eno may have contributed that bit & whether it might be from the ARP 2600?