Posts by dudeski

I went back and watched Nic’s interviews on YouTube from March and April of this year. In those interviews he says that there were three songs that were particularly hard for him to learn and that after learning them none of them made the setlist. He does say he had the songs learned (I stand corrected—in an earlier post I suggested perhaps he hadn’t managed to get those songs down). The 3 songs he mentions specifically as being difficult to learn were Apocalypse in 9/8 (he said he found it impossible to count to so he had to memorize the drum section); Los Endos; and Second Home By the Sea. Whether that means those are the three “hardest” songs that didn’t make the setlist—hard to say for sure. He also said the band was completely ready to tour before the first delay due to Covid. The concert—musically and visually—was totally prepared. That would lead me to believe that no changes have been made to the setlist since then.

I think the lighting designer Woodroffe said in his BBC interview (the one where Gabriel called him) that they have recorded a full run during rehearsals. Simply because they didn’t know whether or not this show could ever be staged in front of an audience.

so, I also don’t expect they changed anything since last autumn.

Had mixed feelings about the 2007 setlist but this is just my thing. I so wanted Blood on the rooftops to be played and was tired of No son of mine and plenty of IT tracks. In the end they did a big tour in stadiums etc so that had to be played.
    but still I have this feeling they missed a chance to do special stuff. Don’t think they will now

I have never collected bootlegs or torrents and was always a bit reserved about audience recordings as they simply might spoil or even destroy the experience. So I never heard that 1982 gig. Getting older, I am more and more thinking I should.

Don't agree to your assessment. HIMBG is not at all following the same formula like Face Value - for some fans it's even ranked higher than FV. It also has no real fillers. One might argue that could be Do you know, do you care, but also this track is very unique in Phil's music history.

Also, especially Inside out and We said hello goodbye have aged well.

Well, it's obviously a matter of taste then.

Regarding But seriously. It's a fine album and the production is good. But it should have some sort of "thicker" sound.

The best album to start with?

For Collins era Genesis fans, it surely is Still or Bankstatement

For Proglovers: A Curious Feeling.

Strictly Inc works for both, but the sound might not be everybody's taste. It contains one of Tony's finest moments, the epic An Isand In The Darkness

That’s tough to listen to, but I guess expected as he had been singing his heart out for an entire decade at that point. I’ve always thought Apocalypse sounded like an incredibly demanding vocal piece, even on the album, Peter sounds like he’s straining. Singing like a banshee like that for years on end will inevitably do permanent damage. Same thing happened to Robert Plant.

ouch ...

besides, Phil never took lessons or did anything to train his singing ability, that also wasn't good.

If I remember correctly it was dropped after Australia / NZ. There are two possible reasons for this. One is the challenging singing that MoonlitKnight mentioned, the other is an interview bit Phil did back then basically saying that the drumming was quite challenging and he fucked it up on one or two nights and decided to change it. I am still trying to find the correct quote (if there is one), cause this is all based on stuff I read in forums etc.

Interesting - two Rush tracks in this list! It surprises me they were that popular. Curious how this would look today ...

Could be something for the absolute peak thread as well.
    I like this version a lot, especially the double drums and Mike’s guitar. I doubt Mike can still play Abacab this way and of course there won’t be double drums (if they do it). Will be interesting to see how Nic will handle this. And maybe Daryl on guitar?

some sounds familar, some sounds different. Overall, it's stunning what Steve plays (fast playing) and his vocals are really great on some of the tracks. So in a nutshell, while it is of course a Hackett album with some typical Hackett stuff, he also explores new ground and the sound is also quite powerful on several tracks.

I will need more time to evaluate the album, but it was indeed a pleasant surprise.

thanks for this brief insight, sounds rather promising. Then again, being a musician who has released 25+ albums, you cannot expect a revolution. But you can expect a good album.