Posts by FeelItComing

Neil sadly has two sons with cerebral palsy. What are the odds?

I was a massive fan of his when I was at university, which always seems to be the age when people discover overwrought singer songwriters. He did one of the best shows I have ever seen back in 1985, but the more left field & inconsistent he got, the less I liked his work. The last album I bought was Living With War. I find there are only so many ten minute guitar jams I can take.

My favourite Neil Young songs are:

My My, Hey Hey (Out Of The Blue)

Powderfinger

Heart Of Gold

Cortez The Killer

Like A Hurricane

Harvest

After The Gold Rush

El Dorado

Rockin' In The Free World

Thrasher

Three of those are from Rust Never Sleeps which I think is his best album.

I suppose I have been influenced by my husband's tastes. When we first met I didn't have any time for Rush but I've heard enough of them now to enjoy them. The same goes for Aerosmith, another favourite band of his. But I couldn't really say there was any act I 'despised' & came to love, although I never liked the Bee Gees until I heard Stayin' Alive.

The Beatles, reacquainting myself with Live At The BBC & the Anthologies

Harry Styles (His album is really good, seriously)

Robert Plant

Led Zeppelin

Fleetwood Mac

These days it's really the other way around; he includes a few solo numbers amongst all the Genesis classics.

I'm a huge fan of the Genesis material but wish Steve would revert to solo-only shows after quite a few years of the 'Revisited' gigs.

I can understand how people who have seen Steve a few times would like him to do only solo stuff. However, when I saw him for the first time last year, if he hadn't done any Genesis songs it would have been dreadful. Who else will I ever see do Genesis songs? (It won't be The Musical Box because we had front row seats & they cancelled their tour).

How do you guys find the time to listen to so much music? I play albums in the car (right now, the Beatles' Anthology 1). The rest of the time I play my iPod. One of the songs I heard yesterday was Long, Long Way To Go, one of my favourite NJR songs. Does that count?!

Count me in as a big fan of that song too. If you're upset/angry about something, "I Don't Care Anymore" and "Do You Know, Do You Care" are GREAT therapy.

I also prefer "Hello I Must Be Going" to "Face Value", but only by a whisker - they're pretty much co-favorites. I even like the off-the-wall songs like "Thru These Walls" and one of the most unusual-sounding pop songs ever, "Like China". How did Daryl come up with that dissonant guitar riff and bizarre solo - I love both! 8)

I have been talking about the therapy value of those two songs for years, and that's why I prefer them to most of the later ballads. Same for Thru These Walls. Like China is just funny. I love Phil when he sings in an English accent.

Why do you find it inaccessible? It contains Games Without Frontiers & Biko! Phil's on it! There is not a bad track. Shock The Monkey on the other hand I don't like much either.

I did say 'in my view'. I completely agree with your comments about Thru These Walls. Regarding Both Sides, I know that I should like it more than I do because I know how personal it is. I do agree that it doesn't try to be accessible. I just can't make myself prefer it to the first few albums. I wasn't aware you knew Phil. Respect!