Posts by paul795

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Came across this wonderful description of early Genesis by Chris Welch, in the book "The English Difference" from 1974. The book is a celebration of all that is unique about "Englishness", but is a bit more thoughtful and critical than that description might suggest.* And probably more thoughtful and critical than it would be if it were published today. (Also striking how much of what supposedly made England unique in 1974 no longer exists) -

"While a rock 'n' roll band might appear to the casual, disinterested observer as a disorganised bunch of incompetents, Genesis are the antithesis of this concept. Four of them are ex-public-school boys, while the fifth, their drummer, Phil Collins, is an East Ender. Here the two class structures meet with mutual benefit.

so, Phil wasn't an East Ender and it was only three, not four ex-public-school boys.
    Steve was a grammar school boy (and born nearer the East end than Phil was).

Anyone remember Nationwide ? UK TV magazine programme that was on after the news in the 70s . I remember a feature about a bi plane pilot . They used the closing section of AIAMN as music accompany film of him flying through the clouds . I always think of that even now when I play it .

Are you thinking of this documentary about a Tiger Moth Air Race which was made by Nationwide reporter Bernie Clarke? It also includes a snippet of Hackett's Spectral Mornings at 40:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd4_96zgEZQ

I received an email saying that the date had changed and that my ticket was valid for the new date so i don't have to do anything. Interestingly it also said, "If you are unable to attend on the new date, we can also issue a full credit voucher to cover the entire cost of your original booking including any fees."

Not even a refund - a credit voucher. What if you don't go to many shows.?

I had tickets for Cambridge, and the email from the venue (I always try to book direct with venues) said:

"All original tickets will remain valid for this rescheduled show. If you would like

to exchange the value of your tickets for a credit with Cambridge Live to use
    on events in the future, or claim a refund for your tickets, please email tickets@cambridgelive.org.uk"

I'd only just rescheduled a holiday for September next year, so I couldn't make the new date for Cambridge. Having now got tickets for the Peterborough gig, I've emailed Cambridge for a refund.

I'll never forget Nationwide ,a nightly UK TV news/magazine show using it to soundtrack some footage of a bi plane someone was flying, it has such a dreamy quality.

Do you mean the opening to this, a documentary by Bernard Clarke (a Nationwide reporter)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd4_96zgEZQ

Hackett's Spectral Mornings features later in the same film, at 40:30.

I started work at BAe Hatfield a couple of months after this was filmed. I met Bernard Clarke when returned a few times in 1980 and 1981 to do a Nationwide series on the development and first flight of the BAe 146, and spent a day in my department.

Quote from Backdrifter

Do you remember the unfunny comedian support act with a ferret glove puppet? All I can recall is the puppet 'saying' "Shut up or I'll nibble your bollocks off." He then briefly came on during SH's set as well.

Yes, I remember him.

I don't recall much of the act, just the puppet. When 'The Young Ones' started a couple of years later, I wondered if he had anything to do with SPG, Vyvyan's hamster.

After all these years, question answered.

I've just seen a Q&A with Steve on Facebook where he was asked the name of the 'rat ventriloquist'. The answer was "The rat’s name was Magritte. The ventriloquist was Andy Cunningham."

Looking at Andy Cunnigham's wiki entry, there was no mention of his supporting Steve, or having anything to do with 'The Young Ones', but it turns out he was the
    creator and main writer of the children's BBC television series, 'Bodger & Badger', which I never saw, but remember my sons talking about.

Was into Supertramp before I really got into Genesis. Heard them first on a late night Radio 1 session (Peel or Harris) when Crime first came out, went out and bought the album as soon as I could after that. Saw them at Oxford New Theatre on the Crime tour , and again at the 1975 Reading Festival. The first album, Crime and Crisis are my favourites, wasn't quite so enamoured with EITQM and Breakfast, but still like to listen to them frequently now, quite evocative of my student years.

In July 1979 the BBC broadcast 'The Great Tiger Moth Air Race' a documentary about a Tiger Moth Rally/Race held in June that year. At that time I wasn't to know that less than three months later I would start work at the Hatfield factory, featured at the start of the race.

I missed the start of the program, but saw most of it and remember being impressed when 'Spectral Mornings'was used a background music for a flying sequence.
    What I did't realise was that 'All in a Mouse's Night' was also used at the very start of the program!

At last, someone has posted a copy of the program on YouTube, albeit in low-res. The sequence featuring 'Spectral Mornings' starts at the 40:30 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?…PZAVF5vRstKFu2CmIrQ3m23CY

http://www.hackettsongs.com/news/newsLive93.html

November 2018: "I'm excited to announce that Craig Blundell will be drumming for us throughout the 2019 Tour! Craig has won countless magazine polls around the world and is in very high demand. He played on 39 different projects in 2018 and is the current touring and recording drummer for Steven Wilson. Voted by modern drummer and rhythm magazine readers as one of the top progressive and forward thinking drummers in the world..."

Can you recall what the queue was like? A long one, what time you arrived, good camaraderie, get much or any sleep? Good going by the way, great seat.

I went with a friend, and I think we got there about 10-11ish the night before, we lived quite close in student accomodation in South Ken. I don't recall how long the queue was behind us, it can't have been too big as I don't recall there being any stewarding. We were on the pavement opposite the entrance to Earl's Court tube, had to deal with a few piss takers, but it was all good natured around us. We took sleeping bags, and needed them to keep warm (must have been May when the tickets went on sale), probably didn't get much sleep.

I tried to get to Drury Lane early for tickets in 1980, but despite arriving at the crack of dawn on a Sunday morning, and feeling like death warmed up (having been sick the evening before) , was turned away after a few hours as we were told there was no hope of us getting anything. After that never queued for anyone.

Car, Scratch and Melt. They all came out during an important phase of my life, so they edge out So and Up.

Oddly enough Security (which at this moment is leading the poll) left me cold, and still does. I don't dislike it but, apart from Shock the Monkey, it just doesn't have anything on it that excites me in the same way that all his other albums do.