Posts by Mark Bataitis

Imagine that Genesis somehow sort out their vast resources and they succumb to the wishes of their fans and begin to release some complete concerts. On cd and vinyl and cassette! The only stipulation is it must be a concert that they have previously released a fragment of on one of their previous releases. You can pick three. Here are mine...

1. Bingley Hall 10.7.76 from Archive 2.

2. Drury Lane London 5.5.80 from Archive 2

3. Shrine 24.1.75 from Archive 1 with proper 'It' plus encores.

What do you think?

Sounds great to me but unfortunately the above and other gems will remain 'imagined'. The band could have really done their fans a great service by rolling out those archival gigs from Fisher Lane + all those great tour rehearsals and album outtakes, however, they chose redundancy with box sets, greatest hits, etc and consequently, forever, put the 'Archive Club' notion to death.

Those 'tapes', unfortunately, will most likely remain where they are. And as far as rarities out in the collector's pool, those will as well stay put, I think. When I put out all those Lamb recordings and other material some 10-15 years ago, I think put the whammy on the possibility of more eking out. That wasn't my intention as I merely wanted to bring those out into the light of day but unfortunately as a consequence of what I did, everything in that regard froze.

I'm afraid in this case, never WILL BE never. I can't imagine the band having any occasion to release anything from there, quite honestly. I'd love to be wrong but I don't believe I am. The problem is, back when the 'Archive Club' was first proposed on the old Talking Shop forum, it kept getting pushed back due to other things or releases the band was endeavored in. As a result, it just kind of went away. At this juncture, there wouldn't be nearly the interest in those recordings there had been and the band, I am sure, is of the same mind set. Sales wouldn't nearly recoup the productions costs to justify the band doing it and I think they'd agree with me.

All in all, it's moot and pretty much 'dead', I'm sorry to say.

They met in 2004 to discuss the possibility of reforming, 4 were up for it but as usual, Gabriel balked. Hackett always maintained that if PG didn't do it, he would follow suit so that left the 3 of them and they decided to reform in what turned out to be the 'Turn it on Again' tour in 2007.

Gabriel is frustrating in his refusals to join up with them again but it is the past to him and he prefers it stay in the past.

The two are kind of 'apples and oranges', they both bring something good to the table (if you will). Supper was always best done by Gabriel (in my view), my all time favorite live rendering of the song is from Watford '72. The Duke Suite is a great song and caps off the album perfectly.

I stopped many years ago, piles accumulating of bootlegs I didn't (and probably will never) listen to. I'm curious to know how many here still posses the drive to go after them. The old days of 'snail mail', shows for blanks, etc are pretty much long gone. The Yahoo Group "Genesis Trades" must be a veritable ghost town these days, if it even still exists.

Here is one of the tracks I filmed from back in September of last year, enjoy:

External Content vimeo.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.