Posts by thewatcher

This was an early favorite of mine, and the appeal has endured. I love the vibe of orange lights and a smoky atmosphere, hot winds of the south, and the image of a fisherman fishing in a dried up river bed. There's something intangible about the track that rings true for me. A yearning of some sort where the odd lyrics, music and Phil's vocals delivery all line up. I like how some of the instrumentation drops out when Phil sings "I feel like an alien...", and then swells again. It's an effective bit of arrangement. 14/15.

As an aside, I think it would make a great edm track if it were well-remixed.

Ooooookay. 1899 has gotten very interesting in at least two ways. By episode 6 it has this *really* cool thing going where most of the characters speak different languages and have no idea what the other is saying, and when you add those characters into a nightmarish situation it makes it that much more disconcerting.

The second thing is that it is out-Truman-showing the Truman Show in creating walls between the characters and the audience, then breaking them.

I'm often late to popular shows and Succession is no exception. This last week I've been watching season 1 and am absolutely hooked. I've got that "can't wait to see the next one" excitement but bar one evening of two back-to-back episodes I've been very restrained, watching one per evening.

Sounds worth a look. I'm often not just late to the party but miss it altogether - I still haven't seen breaking bad or the wire. But some succession finale (I think) made a splash a few months ago on Twitter and had has me thinking about it for a bit.

🤦‍♂️You had to ask...

Hee hee hee. I'm imagining Tony Banks looking at a shelf of products in his garden shed that he never bothered giving the green light to. Nestled in the middle is a tidy box labeled "Genesis rehearsals 1992" (it's between the boxes labelled "Genesis b-side rehearsals 1986" and "singer auditions 1996"). Every now and he pulls it out, mulls it over and thinks "nah", and puts it back.

I think my impression of the amazing live show comes from the growing up DVD, now that I come to think of it. The parts where he was upside down doing that duet with his daughter, the big zorg (??) ball he was in for growing up, and the big electricity type lighting effect on Signal to Noise.

Would really look forward to a show of his. He seems to be a proper innovator with his live spectacle.

I sprang/sprung for the new one. I sense a rediscovery of the album will accompany it. It has slowly inched it's way up my list of preferences in Genesis albums, probably because it is that bit denser so there's always something new to discover. I've always loved much of sides 1 and 2, especially hairless heart and chamber of 32 doors, and I love the lamia. I felt it was all weighed down a bit too much by fillery bits that just didn't hook me enough to keep the momentum going, and I flat out don't like slippermen, which has an outsized negative effect in the way Epping forest has on SEBTP for me.

Look forward to perusing the book and probably giving the album a spin or three 😃.

seriously. You prefer discussions about all versions in one thread? I mean you might want to exchange views on one of the versions and end up scrolling and searching for the right postings in a general thread for all versions?
    we actually did have a similar discussion in our German forum and that ended quickly because no one wanted to search for a specific version discussion in one general thread.

we have a subforum for I/o and there are - easy to find - individual threads for the releases.

But - if you have a good idea how to do this differently / better, I am happy to learn about that!

I don't feel *that* strongly about it! Not sure what the volume of posts on the German site is like but I would have thought it was manageable enough here to have the discussions in one thread. Personally I don't think I'll be forensically analysing the versions enough to post more than once or twice per track but who knows. You already have experience of managing it elsewhere so I'll leave it at that.

External Content music.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

🥹 Hypnotic and sad from 1 minute in.

Precisely because for over 10 years Los Endos was all the time or In The Cage, those songs were thrown out. But the fact - they could add one or two songs from the 70s - for example Ripples, Eleventh Earl Of Mar or Carpet Crawlers permanently. But really, this setlist from 1992 is good for those who like this era from the 80s a bit more. Therefore, if these 3 albums from rehearsals in 1992 were ever released unofficially, I would be very happy.

I must have missed a step or two here. How did we get to "3 albums from rehearsals"?

Hold on my heart! :P

I've seen on the few sites that report these things that Hold on my Heart is 172bpm. Definitely too fast for effective CPR!

Great thread! I knew about Stayin Alive but I would imagine the patient wouldn't survive CPR to most Genesis tracks.

It's an interesting thing to think about doing chest compressions not in a 4/4 rhythm, but wholly not recommended I'm sure! CPR in 9/8 might lead to some sort of deficit or unusual change in personality (a new interest in trigonometry perhaps?), were the person to survive.

I also have my doubts, but I can understand why he is doing that. He will deal with the music for most of the year, there is no album promotion thing for a while and each track gets the same amount of time to be discussed etc.

I still wonder how he will do this regarding the tour. Will he play tracks that haven't bee released yet or will he stick to the 5 or 6 tracks released until then?

Good question. I assume he'll play what he considers the best tracks that work with the setlist, or are particular highlights. But who knows. It would be odd to leave off some great track to fit the release schedule.

It's not quite random enough to put in the thread of randomness!

Anyway, you likely heard or read at some point that if you're doing cpr, you should do it to the beat of "Stayin Alive", which is about 100bpm, a healthy rate to aim for if you're trying to keep circulation going in someone who's heart has stopped. It got me wondering, which Genesis tune would one use?

My limited research online points to I Can't Dance being a good one, at 104-108bpm (I think I saw both numbers on different sites). Alternatives are Land of Confusion and Jesus He Knows Me. Incidentally, all three titles pertain well also (I think)!

Maybe someone much more into the nuts and bolts of the music can offer other suggestions.