Posts by thewatcher

Let's not get confused about the tour. Whilst we all know about the nightmare in the US, after announcing one night in UK arenas, second nights were added in Birmingham and Cardiff. Not all the dates sold well, and Earls Court was very poorly organised, but it was far from the disaster it's too-often made out to be.

I'm not confused. I remember the original stage design they were planning which was much bigger than what they ended up with (I recall multiple sliding video panels, while they ended up with a couple of tall paper streamers). I don't think they got as far as booking stadia and then downgrading, but they weren't intending a tour of the scale they ended up with. Not a disaster (apart from the US) but definitely smaller scale than they envisioned.

Wow. Where has the time gone?

I remember being so excited. It was the first release after I had become a massive fan. The media buildup was steady and seemed fairly well orchestrated. But then it was a dark album that came out in a warm sunny august, and all news everywhere was swamped with princess Di dying and Elton John putting out candle in the wind. The usual music rags also did their MAGA-esque populist pile on saying the album was shit purely because it was Genesis and Genesis weren't cool, Spice Girls were the flavor du jour if I recall. (Sure, argue the album was shite on merit if you want but there wasn't a hint of that in the puerile shit I read at the time, it was brainless follow-the-crowd hostility).

Anyway, I remember it did well in the UK. I personally loved it, and still do. Congo landed with a bit of a clunk however and unfortunately the album faded from sight pretty quickly. Then the tour sold very poorly and had to be majorly downgraded (from jumbo to big). I thought they had done enough to go for a second album as they were effectively starting with a new crew, and was very excited to continue following them but alas it was not to be.

I love the title track, Congo, Dividing line, there must be some other way, and uncertain weather. Fond of not about us and alien afternoon. It's dense so it holds up well to being rediscovered as there's often some bit I'd forgotten I liked. The b sides were a mixed bag but quite a few enjoyable ones in there like sign your life away and run out of time.

Omfg I have it. The best cheesiest version of an exceptionally cheesy song.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Love, love stuff like this. Thanks for sharing. It sounds good although Tony's keyboard solo is like the background music from a deep level in Sonic The Hedgehog from 1993 or so. I'll lament once again that it's a pity they didn't throw in songs like this here and there with their setlists for a bit of variety.

I thought of another pretty ripe one.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Oops. I missed the first week. Well, I can comfort myself that I would have probably scored 0 points anyway 😀. I'm in for week two, and looking forward to the challenge of starting with a self inflicted deficit.

And want to echo big thanks to genesis1964 for running it.

Edit: Ah, there's a Monday game.

Man Utd 0-4 Liverpool

😆 yes I suspected there'd have been reference to it earlier in the thread and hadn't checked. In truth, while I really enjoy any Seinfeld I come across, I'm not a big aficionado - too much to watch and too little time - and actually came across the step 9 thing because of James spader. Needless to say I thought it was hysterical and popped right on over here!

I also love the part in the ice cream shop or cafe where George confronts him, and having heard Spader's character out is about to leave with another customer already starting to order. George stops, obviously replaying the dialogue in his head and realizes he in fact still hasn't received an apology that is to his satisfaction. The facial expressions and little hand gestures he uses to communicate this faux-struggle as if he wishes he could let it go but there's simply no way he possibly can is a very funny little moment.

This is the kind of cheese I like. Big, dopey eurodisco with no shame at all 😃

Can't believe Chris De Burgh hasn't got a mention yet. I don't mind some of his stuff myself but Lady in Red is very very cheesy and he's done even worse since!

You beat me to it. The crown prince of aged stilton. I often appreciate a good bit of cheese, but not him. Ugh.

As far as Genesis goes I’d have to give the cheese to I Can’t Dance. Jesus He Knows Me is a close second.

I Can't Dance is a little cheesy I think but JHKM? Surely not. That's one of their best, straight up, uncheesy rock songs for me.

Good calls all. Have to say I considered mentioning meat loaf myself earlier, despite being a massive fan, there's undeniably an element of cheesiness. But I would naturally argue that it's mostly absent once you delve in. I don't think overwrought or bombastic by themselves make something cheesy but there you have it. A lot of it is just rock and roll on a wide scale with a lot of moments of beauty peppered throughout. Total eclipse on the other hand...

Anyway, another chunk of aural brie came to mind: Islands In The Stream by Dolly Parton/Kenny Rogers. Although maybe that one is more schmaltzy than cheesy?

It's looking increasingly like Trump might be in seriously deep shit and I for one could not be happier. It's fascinating watching these moronic lackeys like Boebert and Elise Stefanik try to defend the indefensible. I can only imagine the personal financial gain that's in it for them?

This is one of the things i enjoyed about this exercise, as well as some crossover and some I nearly included but didn't there's some I don't know so I now have some stuff to investigate.

I swithered over Call The Shots, one of the best pop songs of the 00s, and including something by the smart, talented and frankly gorgeous Charli XCX (have you seen the film of her making an album during lockdown?). I also had to leave out Robyn. Great call on Santigold.

Yes, there are only so many days in a month! I had to leave off Lush, Siouxie and the Banshees and 2:54. Haven't seen the Charlie XCX film but will definitely check it out.

Another phenomenon I notice is that it's not just individual songs I prefer to those of my so-called favorite bands, but a few albums by these artists would be in my top 10 if I made such a list. Off the top of my head I can think of Celebrity Skin by Hole, Diploid Love by Brody Dalle, Once, Twice Melody by Beach House and Body Parts by Robyn, yet for some reason I don't consider them to be above the male-fronted bands I listed earlier. I guess what I'm saying is my favorite band, album and song -lists are not congruent with each other. Maybe that's a normal thing, I don't know.

First though, while I kind of get what's meant by a "cheesey song" and I'm not feigning ignorance, I'm interested to hear people's definitions of what it means.

Hmm. I guess a song that's really naff but possibly with some element of knowing or self-awareness by the artist. Not that I know how that would come across in the song necessarily! In truth, I suppose I have a little cheese radar in my ear and it pings whenever I hear something I consider cheesy, and that's the key attribute of a cheesy song (which is an unhelpful, circular description...). I don't know if it's the same for everyone.