Posts by thewatcher

Been thinking about this thread for a while. Most of my favorite bands have male vocalists (Genesis, Suede, Smashing Pumpkins, Foals, The Cure etc) but I love songs with female singers and if I'm honest, if I had to choose one song to listen to, it would probably be one of these rather than a song off an album by one of the bands I've listed. Can't explain that very well. Anyway, here it is and apologies - some obscure artistes here. I don't know the more classic female vocalists as well.

1. Q Lazarus - Goodbye Horses

2. Lana del Rey - Ride

3. Still Corners - Midnight Drive

4. Girls Aloud - Call The Shots

5. Charlie XCX - Nuclear Seasons

6. The Pierces - Creation

7. Lily Wood and The Prick - Prayer In C

8. Lykke Li - Gunshot

9. Austra - Spellwork

10. Ladyhawke - My Delirium

11. Lissie - Loosen The Knot

12. La Roux - Let Me Down Gently

13. Etana - Caltariba System

14. Santigold - Disparate Youth

15. Polica - Dark Star

16. Nerina Pallot - Rousseau

17. Uh Huh Her - I See Red

18. Hole - Use Once and Destroy

19 Sophie B Hawkins - Right Beside You

20. Agnes Obel - Familiar

21. Grimes - Pin

22. Basia Bulat - Long Goodbye

23. Cheryl Cole - Stand Up

24. Dubstar - Stars

25. Robyn - U Should Know Better

26. Meg Myers - Numb

27. Sharon Van Etten - Serpents

28. Beach House - Black Car

29. Zella Day - High

30. Haley Bonar - Better Than Me

31. Brodie Dalle - Meet The Foetus

And for the long rainy weekend after:

La Sera - Begins To Rain

Living Joy - Dreamer

Merrill Bainbridge - Mouth

Cardigans - Erase/Rewind

Yes but what all true fans are dying to hear are the fabled recordings of the band having breakfast before rehearsals started. I'd love to mull over the sound of munching, the rustling of museli being shaken into a bowl, the gloop-gloop of milk being poured, clinking of cutlery, slurping of tea and coffee, Rutherford muttering "pass the juice please" etc. And I have it on good authority these recordings really do exist - even including the scraping of butter onto toast (wholewheat, too). Although the claims that we hear the spreading of marmalade - Seville thick cut for Rutherford, lime and lemon for Banks - are widely disputed.

Surely the band and management can see the value of releasing these valuable records of the build-up to the creative process. Sometimes it seems they're simply not interested in the wishes of fans, don't recognise the importance or commercial potential of such material or place any importance on their own legacy. It makes me so MAD!

😅

Now I want the ten minute long deep house trancey remix of Mike's famous utterance "pass the juice please".

A true trailblazer. She and William Shatner may not have shared the first interracial kiss on TV but it was probably the highest profile one to that point. Seemingly they both insisted it go ahead despite the network's reservations. RIP.

I feel for the 30 year old Genesis fan in the thread 😀.

I'm 41.

Older dudes and dudettes: the younger guys and gals who discover this magical band will never ever get to experience them in their prime. Give them what they come here seeking, please.

I find this thread very, very confusing. I don't know any of the individuals involved personally, nor have I made any effort beyond scouring the old torrents back in the day, and doing a tiny handful of snail mail trades off the old old music boards, to acquire whatever super rare material exists (I wouldn't even know what to look for. Recordings of soundchecks of tracks we don't even know they rehearsed?). So the very existence of such a thing as a superfan that has somehow acquired a trove of riches that highly devoted but somewhat regular fans has barely heard of and will never see or hear, is hard for me to understand. If I was in possession of such material myself, I would spray it from the rooftops into the eyes and ears of anyone who cared enough to be interested (as long as the band was cool with it). The biggest hurdle for me would be converting it into high quality shareable format.

I'm not judging. I just don't understand.

I'm heartened by this story of a 19 year old texan activist who was shamed by the insectoid suspected pedophile Matt Gaetz for being ugly and overweight. She used the high profile insults to raise over 100k for abortion rights 😆.

https://twitter.com/thelilynew…xbNfgS3uJJo5PVuZlnfA&s=19

Edit: update, she has raised 400k now. She also challenged him to stop this Twitter fighting nonsense, and asked when they can settle their differences like adults: an arm-wrestle. She's brilliant.

If Phil could do an album like Johnny Cash's last few efforts, or Neil Diamond's albums with RIck Rubin, I would eat it up, not to mention that songs like that would take us back to his peak, i.e. the first two solo albums.

Warren Zevon's last effort comes to mind as another good comparator, if this hypothetical Phil album were to emerge.

How about this for an idea? A Republican and Democrat must run on the same ticket, guaranteeing that something gets done for the people and not the party.

Not so sure. They have a similar arrangement in Northern Ireland with a first minister and deputy first minister, where the first minister comes from the party with the largest Republican or unionist share of the vote, and the deputy from the largest party of the other stripe (even if that party wasn't the second biggest overall). The idea is to force opponents to work together. Since the start the first minister has been a unionist, but in the last elections a Republican party won the biggest share of the vote, and do you think there's a Republican first Minister now? Not a chance. The largest unionist party refused to form a government. In addition, there have been months and years long stretches where the government ceased functioning because of impasses. I'm not convinced Dems and the GOP would be any better.

I'm also very cynical and believe that, rather than 'party first', US politicians are bought and paid for, and it's actually 'lobbyist first'. I think this is presently true more for repubs than Dems, but look at the situation that's been created. Dems control all three branches of government and are losing on all the major issues their supporters - and the majority of the electorate by most polls - care about. Minority views on abortion, gun control, the climate, healthcare provision etc prevail. And in any debate or argument repubs in future elections can say 'how is it our fault, we weren't even in power '. It's an appalling situation and the Dems need to grow a backbone rapidly. I question whether they have it in them to overcome the poison of vested interests.

Rammstein. I can't get enough of them. I may even have to print out the lyrics so I can read them & then look at the translations.

Have you seen them live? I can't remember if I asked elsewhere as I know you've commented before on being a huge fan. I saw them in Dublin once. Amazing show but HOT 🥵.

I guess they wouldn't have an MP elected as PM, as USA president is not a current senator or congressman, but as for preferring the American system, with a person chosen by the electorate, look how well that has worked out for the US. Trump? Biden, W, to name but three. Among other issues with that system is that you have to be incredibly rich to qualify. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it shouldn't be a qualification, or a bar.

Just to point out the obvious, only one of the 3 you mentioned were really chosen by the electorate, Trump and W lost the popular vote.

On the topic, I wonder who the candidates will be in 2024. Biden will be seriously old for running a campaign. I can see DeSantis or the like coming out on top in the republican primaries. But who on the Dems side? Warren or Buttigieg maybe?