Posts by thewatcher

As the thread popped back up in my feed, I reread this story and had to check out King's synth version of Wild World. All I can say about it is, what is wrong with that man's brain? He stole the music for It's a Sin and awkwardly grafted the words to Wild World on top. It almost disproves the point he was trying to make.

It is his birthday, and this tweet from Robert Plant had me convinced for a long moment he had died:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Happy birthday Phil!

....and?

...and it turns out my process is quite like Peter's these days 😀. I'm thinking of just getting the band's name on me in one of their fonts. If I try to put that figure from NC on my body, i think there's a high probability it will come out atrocious. Like one of those ancient masterpieces that gets destroyed by a well-intentioned but completely inept restoration effort.

Fascinating to know such a session occurred. I'd be very interested to hear it too. Sounds like a glimpse into an alternate universe - what Genesis might have sounded like if Steve and Tony had gone off and formed their own band 😆.

Yes, this was what I was thinking of. Something about the song as I was listening to it this weekend, in light of those comments, made me see it as the straw that broke the camel's back. It's a bit arbitrary of course, it's just one random fan's take. I certainly see the elements that carried forward to tracks in the 80s (and beyond - Alien Afternoon is pretty fantastical!), and they were a band that progressed along a continuum rather than abruptly.

Just listening to disc 2 of the BBC set and I think I can pinpoint Burning Rope as the song that ended the Genesis fantasy aspect this thread references. Phil's comments about the song since. His massive solo success almost immediately after. It sounds like a Fugitive song with Collins (and Rutherford)'s enormous talent pulling it up. I kind of like it and think Collins' judgement is a bit harsh but I think it is the "line in the sand" with a clear before and after in Genesis terms.

The DoaV that follows it on the BBC set... Holy God what a force they were!

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This is a bit of a tough watch but worth it. I'm keenly aware that social media breeds doom merchantry, fear mongering and hysteria (there was a funny post by a tone deaf poster on Twitter in the last few days about something called an Arkstorm about to destroy California; the take down by proper meteorologists and proper science communicators was <chef's kiss>). But I increasingly don't like the data about the climate that's coming out and this fairly straight shooting scientist made the linked 20 minute video about it. I wish she didn't have the hard sell for some nature preservation group at the end but I don't think it detracts from the main message.

Just enjoying the BBC broadcast release. Listening to the first CD gave me a huge new appreciation for Get Em Out By Friday and during that track I thought the lines "it's said now that humans will be shorter in height, they can fit twice as many in the same building site" might be one of the most scathing takedowns of capitalism ever.

Actually this CD sounds amazing and is giving me a huge new appreciation of all things early Genesis. They were amazing. The Musical Box? Twilight Alehouse? Best ever.

External Content youtu.be

Lovely psychedelia.

Well, almost exactly a year later, The Genesis Show is recreating the 1980 Lyceum Ballroom show at the Keswick Theatre in suburban Philadelphia tomorrow night! 😎

Anyone else going?

Whoa. I'm in Boston. If this had been on my radar further in advance I would have gotten creative and made it happen. Sounds great! I can imagine closing my eyes at it and feeling I've traveled back in time to a gig I'd love to have been at. Enjoy!

oh - didn't mean to be offensive! It's perfectly fine you like his output!

I just lost interest after his later albums all sounded more and more the same. I quite like "Golden Heart" and "Sailing..." but after that it became less interesting, especially his last few albums like "Privateering". And the new song sounds pretty boring to me. Would love to hear a proper rock album again.

I'd like that too. He was so good at it, and I liked best of all when he went off piste a little with stuff like Private Investigations, Telegraph Road or Your Latest Trick. I'm not familiar enough with his solo output to know if has any slightly odder stuff like that out there.

To be honest I was more curious about what exactly the "arseholes down at the front" were doing to cause PC to end the show mid-song, but it'd be interesting to know the venue too.

I wonder if it was something along the lines of the shoving he called out on the IT tour video, early on in the show. Would be interested to know more too. Do you have a link by any chance? Or would it be ok to share on here if you did (I don't know the rules)?