Posts by thewatcher

We'll do our best, mate. 👍

I don't usually do 'soppy' but for these final gigs I'm going to feel that everyone who isn't physically there is there in spirit.

Love this thought. While I haven't been a fan as long as many on here, I'm 40 and have been a hardcore fan since I was 10. <scribbles on back of envelope> that's 75% of my life! I'm grateful for the show I got to see, and while I can't be at these very last ones, I will certainly be there in spirit. Over the next few days, I'll be thinking a lot about this band that's been such a huge part of my life.

For those who will be there, I can't imagine what it will be like to roar them off the stage for the last time. Very emotional no doubt. A great time to all and hope the band enjoys it too.

The seemingly endless rotation of tracks from Beach House's latest album continues. The latest one is Illusion of Forever which has been going for two days now.

This track is heavy on poignancy, in keeping with the significance of this weekend as regards other music related events.

Focus - Hamburger Concerto

By the way, can someone please explain to me - how DO you post album cover images? I've tried multiple times and images are either blocked through copyright, or just don't show up at all. How are you guys posting album covers?

I post from my phone so I can only speak to my way of doing it. I download the album cover, then just below the window where you type your post, there is a smiley face for emoticons, next to it there's a paper clip, and next to that a gear icon for settings. I click the paper clip, then select 'upload', then choose the file. Given the sizing options I pick full size.

I'm going to interrupt this thread because Henry Hamilton-Smythe 's comment reminded me of something funny. I used to order vinyl by mail from the UK pre-internet, and once ordered an album by Genesis called "same" as that how it was listed in this fairly rudimentary paper catalog I had. I was so excited for this totally unheard of album to arrive and beyond intrigued as to what it might be (it was Genesis).

D'oh. Also, I've no idea what the answer is but the 7 minute thing sounds right except I'm sure FGTR doesn't have a 7 minute track on it?

Just curious - a small detail I noticed in most (if not all) videos, is that he doesn't sing "sleep" in "and the sleep, and the odds" at around 3:22 min. Just curious, anybody knows why?

I got the impression it was a stamina/breathing issue. But on the other hand they had Jesus to the point it had visuals and could have been included, and that's super fast. So maybe just the way he prefers to do it these days 🤷‍♂️. Sounds fantastic either way

I just finished Stephen King's latest book, Billy Summers.

It's about an ex-army hitman taking on the old "one last job". He's got a fairly strict moral code and only targets bad guys. He's a very interesting character; he's very intelligent, but pretends to be dumb with his employers (not spoiling anything here) as a way of shielding himself. The story that plays out in concert with his backstory is remarkable.

It's sublime. Such rich characters, deep rivulets of narrative throughout, perfectly observed nuggets about daily life, and a rawness and poignancy that's extremely difficult to achieve. The structure is cool too, it's kind of languid and intentionally predictable for the first half (but great for all that), then it takes a very unexpected turn and has a much, much different second half. Barely anything supernatural. It's all very real. I read it in no time.

I know his "place" in literature is controversial (or something). I can't imagine a more inane argument. The dude's a legend and one of the best writers ever.

On the topic of music and books linking together - Objects in the Rearview Mirror by meat loaf was stuck in my head for much of this book.

Ugh. Seeing the headlines today makes me think increasingly that NATO needs to get more directly involved. Yes, at the risk of the conflict spreading. Which would NOT be nato's fault. Inaction = appeasement = facilitating atrocities. The economic sanctions aren't cutting it.

the whole show was a stunning experience. I have never seen them better. Emotionally, it das hard to take, but that aside, Genesis have put up a great show and Phil sings far better than on his solo tour

Very glad you had a great experience. I had the same impression when I saw them, I was kind of taken aback at the raw energy and intensity in the music. And the videos in no way do justice to the shows.

Brentford 1-0 Burnley

Man Utd 2-1 Tottenham

Chelsea 3-0 Newcastle

Leeds 2-0 Norwich

West Ham 1-1 Aston Villa

Arsenal 2-1 Leicester

Blackpool 1-0 Swansea

Peterborough 0-1 Stoke

Edit: if this thread were part of a Genesis song, I think we'd be the guitary bit of In The Cage, just after "raindrops keep falling on my head they keep falling on my head".