Posts by thewatcher

Unfortunately it was the era bottling off bands and the promoters must have known it. The reception was inevitable I'm afriad.

Was there actually an 'era' where bottles were thrown at bands? Why was this behavior ever tolerated to such an extent?

I wasn't there and I was 1 year old in 1982. But support bands are a common, easy to understand thing. What kind of brain dead fool throws solid objects at someone trying to do their job. I can't share the view that this behavior was inevitable, with the caveats I mentioned.

If I had been in Genesis I would have gone on stage and told the crowd that if one more object was thrown at my support act, I would not be taking the stage myself. Bullying enrages me.

🤣

I hope we can all see the folly of attempting to wish anyone - let alone everyone - a Happy Valentine's Day on the Genesis board.

Fwiw: the joke might have been optimized by having bags of several different types of flour.

A user of the Facebook Group called "Genesis the last domino? Tour 2021 & 2022" wrote yesterday: "The Amsterdam shows are uncertain to go on at the moment because these are party useated events. A pressconference next Tuesday (tomorrow? :/ next week? :/ - this is my question ;))will give more information.

I'm not up to speed on developments in the Netherlands or these concert issues. But am I to infer that there are some different restrictions related to the pandemic depending on seated vs standing? As in, the virus knows if you are sitting down or standing up?! What a smart bug 😃

This too, for certain. It even had a title - I/O. Naming it added to the feeling it was imminent. I wonder, if he actually does a new album will it still be called that?!

If I recall correctly - and I may not - there was talk that the album had largely been recorded and would be released within 12 months of Up or something. Clearly remember it being called I/O too. I was very excited at the time, because when Up came out I loved it. I still do but obviously going on 20 years the fervour toward a new album has long cooled.

Interesting discussion about fans and artists. I feel more of a sadness when artists I'm a fan of stop apparently prematurely or for some reason I perceive to be "not good enough". We are prone to taking things personally even when we are talking about two total strangers! I guess the artistic output and ones love of it creates some simulacrum of a one-way relationship, but it's in no way personal.

I have a very soft spot for this tour, as even though I didn't go to a show for being too young, I love WCD and felt to some extent like I was "there" in that I was a massive fan of the band and all their music by the time the tour video came out. I watched my vhs of that tour until it was badly worn. Loved the visuals and selections. I also read that the IT tour video was at the end of a long tour leading to the band seeming tired, while the WCD one was much earlier in the tour and they seemed fresher.

But oh the folly of cutting TTT in half!

Also in hindsight, they were really so young despite having been around seemingly forever. It's a pity they went away.

I wonder if in 20 or 30 years time TV these days will be unwatchable.

I doubt the picture quality will be deemed unwatchable. But there's a chance the idea of watching something in 2D will be seen as quaint. Virtual reality and augmented reality forms of entertainment will surely creep in more and more until an old fashioned tv - 8K or 16K or whatever you want - will be for grandad. Will that be in 20 or 30 years? Idk.

I personally wish we could skip to the holodeck idea from star trek. The early forms of this immersive 3D type entertainment will suck and be really expensive.

I love how the melody shifts across the repeated couplets in the outro, so the emphasis shifts as the lines repeat. It feels as though the lyrics are going at one tempo and the melody at a different one. Like an aural zoetrope if you will.

External Content music.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Really doubt there's anything to this tbh.

Or in other words: there's nothing to this.

I have never, ever, ever in my entire life yelped in fright at any movie or tv scene. I've jumped, I've felt very tense (exorcist, paranormal activity etc) but I've never made an audible sound of terror at something I've seen on screen.

I just did watching a show called Archive 81 on Netflix. Episode 3. Fucking terrifying.

First 2 videos are not my cup of tea, I'm afraid.

However, I do like the third video you sent called Hymn:!....8):thumbup:

You should definitely check out God Moving Over the Face of the Waters then. Another track from the same album. It plays over the final scene of the movie Heat.

Actually his music got used a lot in movies and TV. One of my favorite scenes ever was in The X Files when Mulder 'finds' his sister in an ethereal scene of lost children and angels playing or something. My Weakness from Play is playing over it to great emotional effect.

I have followed Moby since the 90ies. He was part of the soundtrack of my time as a student. I partly lost interest. After Wait For Me, his albums were quite boring.

Nevertheless, I'm still quite stunned what he did on Reprise. Although he took away a lot of that feeling from the past, his new versions are really touching, especially The Lonely Night

Yes, he definitely made good stuff up to Wait For Me, and that album was quite good as I recall. I also loved the disco one he put out, may have been called Last Night. That got a LOT of play on nights out around that time!

18 and Hotel and unlike yourself love both

I should clarify, I actually quite like a lot of the songs on those albums. But the overall sound was lacking a little edginess and I think since they came out when he was a megastar, it led to the impression that he was a middle of the road kind of guy. I don't think he is given his other output.

My favorite release was the Play B Sides. I remember particularly loving a tune called Running. And Flying Foxes too.