Posts by thewatcher

😆😆

That is astonishingly cringe worthy. Fair play to him for going out there and trying, I certainly couldn't. But it's terrible. The visual effects on Only Seventeen are hysterical though, and worth the price of admission.

Also, thanks for sharing. I can't believe they played live, maybe there were bigger hopes for that project?

My own tuppence worth... There's an Irish news website, the journal.ie that used to have a thumbs up and thumbs down feature. I thought it was great, and a given comment on an article might be net-positive or net-negative, which would give a good sense of what the crowd thought so to speak. The up vote/downvote was anonymous so there was no pressure at all, so it felt like each comments' judgement was truly merit-based. They got rid of it, and the comments section has since been infested by right wing bots (not because the option to down vote went away). I really disliked when they got rid of it though. Therefore I think on a platform like Twitter, a downvote option would probably be useful.

However, for a forum like this I don't think it would be. I think it would disincentivize people to venture forth an opinion if they thought it would be unpopular. It keeps things positive and constructive to have an option to give someone a thumbs up or a smile if you agree/like, or to engage with them in discussion if you don't. I think a band forum is different than Trump spewing some vile shit on Twitter or truth social or whatever, which should absolutely be open to being simply downvoted.

Sorry, that may have been slightly more than tuppence.

The thumbs up and the laughing one I get. The trophy for thanks, the weeping one and the confused one I don't really see much point as those emotions will probably lead to more quotation and discussion than just a reaction button. At least that's what I think. Their presence doesn't bother me in the least. The pink heart days will be looked back upon as a wild and chaotic time on the forum 🩷 😁.

It's heartening to see the overwhelmingly positive response to i/o.

I do generally like what I've heard though. I hadn't picked up on the overrating.

I thought the Blur one probably deserves a higher ranking, it's a terrific set of songs.

I'll give boygenius more air time. I guess I'm basing my comment on the handful of reviews that made it seem like this was music so incredibly good it was redefining what music is. Really hyperbolic, gushing stuff, and then the couple of songs I heard were fine but nothing special. Sounded like a watery version of Haim. I like Lucy Dacus' solo stuff though and will revisit the band.

I don't think the ''fantasy'' atmosphere was solely restricted to the lyrics, instruments and the way there were used, played a big role to. The Mellotron was a casualty of the decade in the 70s but so were acoustic instruments. I'll probably stand corrected but, off the top of my head, 12 strings guitar disappeared after W&W, acoustic guitars after Duke to resurface briefly on CAS and even the Piano was replaced by its electric version.

Now that you mention it, there is a lack of acoustic instruments and the associated organic feel that goes with their use in the 80s output. Sign of the times I guess. The acoustic set in the CAS shows was a highlight, I think. I would have liked a little more of that along the way.

Came across this brief (or brief bit of an) Ultimate Guitar article featuring Steve. As soon as I saw the title about death metal and thrash metal, I wondered how quickly it would take him to mention his pioneering use of tapping. Directly from the article:

'He replied: "Because I came up with tapping so early on...' 😂

https://www.ultimate-guitar.co…ath_metal_of_the_80s.html

Oh dear. Seems EVH credits Led Zeppelin with his discovery of tapping, at least according to the article below. Has he actually been quoted crediting our Steve with it, or is this another "true sons of the Beatles" type situation?

https://www.musicradar.com/new…-figured-out-how-to-do-it

Not into compilations in any way, shape or form. But earlier in my career as a fan I did get the '81-'83 one, so I have a fondness for it plus it had live Firth of Fifth and Paperlate, tracks that weren't that familiar to the 90s teenager browsing shelves in the local record store.

By the time R-kive came out, I was pretty confused as to why they were releasing it.

It's exquisite. I made myself learn most of the opening bit on acoustic guitar but could never get all the way through. I love the unusual atmosphere it creates and the vocal delivery by Phil is great - the song is perfectly suited to his still undeveloped abilities at that point, so delicate and haunting. It has great dynamics too, when the drums kick in. An easy 15.

Those of you into Genesis' more romantic, dramatic moments might like this...

External Content music.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.