Posts by thewatcher

mild heat

You are the most abusive poster on the forum by a distance.

discussion

In which you have absolutely no interest. All you want is this. Which I am indulging you in. And will stop now.

the (very) personal attacks all come from YOU.

😂

Count to 10 dude. Deeeeeeep breaths. Maybe cast a critical eye over your bilious contributions to this thread.

<Collini out>

(A Californication reference)

😆

Indeed.

And the same guy who levels the accusation of "blind love from indiscriminating fans" also has this to say about the band: epoch-making, unsurpassable, unbelievably rich musically. Not sure I've seen any other member be so gushing (with the caveat that after a fine strong IPA I can be plenty over the top in stating my likes and dislikes!).

Of course - because YOUR opinions are what matter.

To you.

I still get notifications from this thread, and as I was listening to The Lamb yesterday, I thought I'd come see what was being said on this fanboi forum ;)

Ah dear. Someone has an itch that needs it's biannual scratch. The fare on offer is insufficient so he expands his abuse to target the entire forum.

Kind of tragic.

It's a slight stretch for the 'new' angle of this thread... I remember hearing Lorde's debut when it came out and liking a couple of tracks. But blimey I like this. I was just poking around old playlists and discovered this down a rabbit hole... I love how it pinpoints the emotional space between teenage spite and adult directionlessness.

External Content music.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Woah. This is one of the more remarkable singer stories I've read. This song is in Silence of the Lambs and is kind of iconic. The singer was an African American taxi driver (in NY maybe?) and Jonathan Demme was her passenger and heard her playing her own demo. He brought her to LA but she couldn't get signed as she wanted to sing/write/play rock music. Her band, also called Q Lazzarus played around London for a few years in the early 90s supposedly to good reviews.

Almost nothing seems to be known about her. Apparently she's a bus driver in Staten Island now.

This is a fun old hit. Surprisingly contains the phrase "I fuck up" unless I'm mishearing it!

I remember the very first MP3 I ever downloaded was the CAS launch at Cape Canaveral in 1997. Was that 10 minutes or so? Took me 30 minutes to download and I then popped it onto a cassette because I had just one PC and it was hooked up to a rather mediocre sound system in my bedroom.

I remember looking for the CAS b sides online. The sound of a dial tone, then the oscillating white noise and various bleeps, blips and bloops while it connected. Then boom! Connected, downloading, and no one could make a phone call for an hour 😆.

External Content youtu.be

Can't see Peter going for it in a gazillion years. And as I am the anti-Nostradamus, watch it happen within 12 months 😃

Seriously though, and I am alone in this, I'd like to see them with Ray Wilson again. A big reason being Tony and Mike seem very healthy and capable of playing at the highest level, there's no really good reason they couldn't make new music again, and Ray has plenty of energy to facilitate them. And no, this won't happen in a gazillion (possibly even a bajillion) years either.

"Abacab" was on at the grocery store the other day, which made me think of this.

As for something getting dropped, the only song I'd wanna see go is the cocktail lounge version of "Lamb." Be a shame if they lost "Duchess," which is the emotional high point of the show to my ears. They could also use it as the opener and drop "Behind the Lines," which opened the 2007 tour anyway. Then drop "Lamb" and put "Lover's Leap" in the acoustic section.

Yes, I'd be very happy with that. I really, really don't want to see Duchess go, and can't imagine they would. What did they swap out for That's All in the US on a prior tour? Mama maybe? I wouldn't like to see that go either, but there's little I'd be sad about missing if Abacab gets played.

My favorite "oh, there's Abacab playing" story (in the US) involved sitting outside a pub/restaurant with an acquaintance, hanging out because our daughters were on a play-date, and Abacab came on. He lit up, recalling it as a song that was big when he was in college, and it turned out he was a pretty big fan of the band! Needless to say we became more friends than acquaintances (chatting about Genesis over a couple of beers; powerful friend-making elements there!).

This is happening more and more in the US, i.e., threatening to fire unvaccinated workers or actually planning to do so. I can see a major shit storm brewing on the horizon; this will not go down smoothly.

You may be right, and at some stage there will be a test case against an employer. As long as it gets appropriately thrown out by the judge, vaccine uptake increases and the pandemic comes under control, I think the shit storm will be limited to a few red-faced bug-eyed conservatives on NewsMax shrieking outrage.

Of course the judiciary is quite heterogeneous with an overall conservative tilt so it might not go down that way, and an employer might inappropriately be told "you can't do that".

On the flip side, watch for a test case of someone bringing a case against an employer for allowing unvaccinated employees. This would be trickier but not impossible, and more feasible the longer the pandemic goes on. See this story for a big-picture view of why going unvaccinated and moreover allowing/facilitating unvaccinatedness in a pandemic is a bad idea: https://twitter.com/summerbren…/1442806675325476867?s=19

593, to be exact. For the record, I am pro science and pro vax. However, I can't very nervous when I see corporations take such draconian measures. I can't imagine these kinds of actions won't end up as class action lawsuits but I"m not a lawyer....

To be clear, I thought the actions I 'read' in the misread version were harsh (setting fire to the workers). I think the actions that i subsequently read when I actually opened my eyes (firing the workers) is perfectly ok.

Not a misheard lyric, but a misread headline.

Glancing at the Guardian (us edition) I saw "United Airlines: carrier sets fire to nearly 600 workers for defying vaccine mandate".

Cripes, that's pretty harsh I thought!