Posts by thewatcher

Two somewhat political news items I came across today.

Julian Assange. I knew the story in broad strokes and felt the way he was treated was scandalous, with being holed up in the Equadorian embassy. But I didn't know he was currently being held in one of the UK's most maximum security prisons, with 23 hours solitary confinement per day. And he's being held in those conditions on a misdemeanor! In the bloody UK! It's an awful attack on free speech and journalism. And what maybe surprised me most of all, is that apparently one of the only mainstream reporters (if you want to call him that) consistently highlighting his case for being unjust and calling for his release is Tucker Carlson. I generally loathe him, and hence can't verify this claim apart from one illuminating interview he did with Roger Waters (yes, the Wall dude) that I watched. It's worth a look.

And COVID. I was more than a little disturbed to learn today that the whole lab creation conspiracy might not be a conspiracy. I always thought it was possible a natural virus escaped from a lab - why not? - but not that it was engineered. It transpires a zoologist in NY called Daszak applied for funding from DARPA to create a coronavirus that would be used to infect bats in south east Asia, with the goal of stimulating an immune response so that the bats could fight off all the potentially pandemic-causing coronaviruses they carry naturally. (The justification for asking DARPA for $16 million was that the geopolitics of SE Asia are such that American soldiers are likely to be deployed there at different times 🙄). They turned him down saying the proposal was too dangerous. It didn't stop him getting funding and carrying out the work with collaborators including the virology lab in Wuhan. This project included submitting interim work to secure continued support - which was reviewed and signed off on by Dr Fauci! The proposal to DARPA which has been leaked by a whistleblower and is the source for these claims, includes a technical description of the plan featuring what has been called a "recipe" for SARS-CoV-2. I don't take any of this as a smoking gun but it looks really bad.

https://twitter.com/R_H_Ebrigh…/1439970800115675136?s=19

External Content music.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And since good things (like bad things) happen in threes, here is the 1990s version of Hairless Heart.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

...and a sister track to the above one. This sound reminds me of side 2 of the Lamb somehow. A frosty, melodic sound full of potential.

External Content youtu.be

This is really stupid but it made me laugh hard. Rowan Atkinson is hysterical.

Give me the chills every time, though I haven't heard it in years. Lovely to rediscover.

I haven't heard the piece you uploaded yet, but it might be easiest to just listen to all of Genesis' albums through to whenever you heard the song you remember. From your description I'd think something like Entangled.

Edit: ok, I listened and first of all, you are an amazing pianist! Second, it doesn't sound like any Genesis song to me, closest things might be firth of fifth or time table?

I have a very strong feeling that they are going to change the setlist slightly for the US leg. Given their talk about having Abacab 'in the wings', rehearsed and with a light production and everything to go with it, plus the fact that - as another poster pointed out and I can totally corroborate - it is still heard fairly regularly on the radio here. I think they will drop something for Abacab. For that reason, to the best of my ability, I'm actually going to avoid spoilers once the stateside leg commences. Fingers crossed 😃

GG again including Genesis in his show today, this time the Seconds Out version of Carpet Crawlers which he said he listened to incessantly when growing up, describing it as practically a "lullaby".

That's really interesting. Pre-CD and mp3, I made a cassette of only that version of CC repeating over and over and used to fall asleep to it!

This is also interesting. Would like to know if SH pioneered the fretboard tapping technique.

Ok I'll change my Tampa score seeing as they're facing different opposition.

Tampa Bay 27 - 30 LA Rams.

I assume I'll get a billion points and be crowned god-emperor of the universe if Tampa actually beat Las Vegas by the score I predicted, despite not playing them?

Brilliant interview, thanks for sharing. He comes across as such an affable, genuine guy.

I agree with everything he said about his time with Genesis and the potential they had. Such a shame they wound it up then. "We really were starting to become a band".

Los Angeles Chargers 15-24 Kansas City

Washington 14-32 Buffalo

New Orleans 21-24 New England

Tampa Bay 27-30 Las Vegas Raiders

Seattle 32-29 Minnesota

Green Bay 21-30 San Francisco

Hi Watcher. To put is simply and bluntly, those are 2 different bands to me. Having said that, there are songs here and there that I like in their '80s material but it tends to be 1-2 songs per record as opposed to entire '70s albums. There's just no comparison to me. When I listen to IT, I hear a soundtrack to Miami Vice; that cheesy synth pop/electronic drum stuff that was all over the airwaves at that time. We can be diametrically opposed in our viewpoints, that's fine, but I did want to candidly answer your question.

Yes, I understand your preferences. I was asking about your cognitive dissonance comment in relation to someone else's preferences. It stood out simply because I happen to rate Foxtrot and IT pretty closely. I like them about the same - yet I feel no hint of internal struggle about that. I guess I'm contesting your point that a person can't genuinely like both without invoking some inconsistency in that person's tastes.

To stick with the topic, I rank Foxtrot below NC and the Lamb from the PG era, and I personally enjoy Trespass more too. That puts it down in 4th place among the Gabriel era albums for me, though SEBTP could be above it some days. I rank IT below Trick, Abacab and Duke certainly. That would put it 4th in the PC albums. Though wind, self-titled and WCD could each be above it on certain days. Now, do I put the PC albums that are above IT (Trick/Abacab/Duke) above Foxtrot? Definitely. 100%. Any time. That leaves Foxtrot and IT bobbing about together roughly somewhere in the middle, 7th to 10th or so, below Trespass/NC/lamb/trick/Abacab/Duke. Oh and they're also below CAS. I love that album.

I'm not trying to diss Foxtrot or IT, I like both albums very much. Long TTT is probably a top 10 Genesis song for me. I just prefer the other albums listed which kind of makes these two albums default down to comparable positions on my preference list.

"My hunger is great. Only the harmony and unity of Genesis' audience - fans of the old material and those of the new era - will sate my appetite. Only their tears can slake my endless thirst. Skeletus! Prepare the Tweets of Discord. We deploy at moonrise. The silence of the night will be shattered by their bickering forever."

😆 can't but laugh at this thread and poor Backdrifter 's plight. There won't be a safe pixel on the board for the next few weeks. Wouldn't be surprised if a pundit on Match of the Day gives away something major.

To the topic at hand - I saw Drennan on the CAS tour and thought he did a brilliant job. His FoF was less showy than Daryl's. The drummer, Nir Z I think, was great too.

In my mind, there's a bit of cognitive dissonance if you equally enjoy Foxtrot and Invisible Touch, for example. But hey, that could be my problem lol. Peace.

As someone who enjoys those albums roughly equally (neither would be in my top tier of favorite Genesis albums), I am genuinely curious why you think this. I enjoy Watcher and Can Utility about as much as Tonight Tonight Tonight and the Brazilian. Not too gone on IT title track or In Too Deep, and I find Time Table is a bit shallow and twee.

Big part of the reason I love Genesis - the depth across their catalogue. And yes, very much peace.

As for the setlist, I don't think it's about 'new' fans or 'old'. I would expect new fans to be totally agnostic about the material era. They'll have decided by themselves if they prefer the old music, or the really old music, or the ancient music. I'll say no more as we're not in the spoilers thread.