Posts by thewatcher

Emma Raducanu UK, 18, against 19-year-old Leylah Fernandez Canadian for the US Open title.

Wow!!! Emma was ranked 338 in the World and now in the finals in a major open.8|.. The youngest ever player.

It's truly phenomenal. Achievement in sport is, I think, easy to overstate and superlatives are often bandied about when they aren't justified. But in this case it's very hard to overstate just how incredible this person's achievement is. Her attitude is awesome too, she seems quite nonchalant about the whole thing. Just to summarize, first qualifier male or female to ever make the final of a grand slam, she's 18 *and* she hasn't even dropped a set en route. She hasn't even been pushed to a tie break in a set. It's mind boggling.

Her opponent in the final isn't far behind in the phenomenal stakes, and has beaten higher ranked opposition to get to the final, but she didn't have to qualify for the tournament to begin with.

External Content music.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Phil's appearance has made it's way to an article in the guardian focused mainly on his health, including the comment that it has 'raised concerns on social media'. Hope the tour can go ahead but more than that I hope Phil is ok. He's only 70. He looks very uncomfortable all the time but I'm sure they wouldn't be going out if it wasn't feasible or if he didn't want to.

https://www.theguardian.com/mu…n-barely-hold-a-drumstick

Really hoping they don't open with Duke's Intro/Turn It On Again, again.. if only because they did it last time. Would prefer a different opener, for a fresh tour.

Kind of agree with you on this one. It would kick ass if they walked out and played Squonk or something. Also not keen on Turn It on Again for a closer as that's been done before too. Very curious to see in what aspects they branch out given the time gap since the last tour and probability of this being their last. Based on the spoilers so far, the evidence would suggest they won't, at least not much.

If his solo tour is anything to go by, Phil's voice will get stronger as the tour goes on (you just need to watch/listen back to his first Liverpool gig in 2017 compared with, say, Peru in 2019). Undoubtedly he's a bit frailer, but vocal chords are like a muscle and get stronger the more they're used. Yes he's lost some natural range (who hasn't after 30 odd years!) - and you can see how much effort it takes now to get some notes - but he's still got some power when needed.

Hope you are right. I'm slated to see them on December, by which time he will either sound like Pavarotti or Shane McGowan after chain-smoking 40 cigarettes.

Here goes nothing (or, watch a Genesis fan make a total fool of himself!).

Dallas 3-21 Tampa

Pittsburgh 9-3 Buffalo

New York Jets 20-30 Carolina

Jacksonville 17-26 Houston

Arizona 6-12 Tennessee

Philadelphia 15-28 Atlanta

LA Chargers 24-26 Washington

San Fran 12-3 Detroit

Seattle 22-18 Indianapolis

Minnesota 33-12 Cincinnati

Miami 14-21 New England

Cleveland 3-27 Kansas City

Denver 9-12 NY Giants

Green Bay 21-18 New Orleans

Chicago 30-18 LA Rams

Baltimore 16-10 Las Vegas

Yes, some of these scores are probably not mathematically possible but that adds to the mystique. Or something. I've watched a few games (literally 4 or 5 in my life) in the past usually in the run up to the Superbowl and actually enjoyed it at the time. The stop-start nature and tv ads are distracting but it's enjoyable nonetheless. This might spur me to watch a game more regularly. Maybe pick a random one each week.

External Content music.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Watched it, for better or worse. Yes, there are lots of spoilers - as there might be in the post below - but I don't mind.

Gah. I deleted a long post by accident. Don't even know how, I found some magical fuckulator button that deletes shit.

Anyway, the cliff notes are that I got the impression they're doing the full version of TTT, the band sounds great, the back up singers are a very nice addition, the visuals look mind-blowing, Phil's voice got stronger as the documentary went on, the lower scales is most prominent in Mama but I got used to it, maybe Misunderstanding will be included too, and Tony Smith seems ageless.

I'm more excited for the show after watching the doc than I was before.

Aw, nothing wrong with a good sturdy handshake, and a look straight in the eye. To me it shows respect. At least that’s how I was raised.

All I can think of is Macron and Trump with your description!

I could live without those gestures myself. Fist bump is the least offensive to me, although it doesn't come naturally. More and more people I encounter, usually through work, do it. Where I was raised, a half grunt accompanied by the slightest twitch of your head was enough to acknowledge the existence of a fellow human. Sometimes with a select few vowels and consonants from the phrase "how is it going?" rolled into one partially formed word, something like 'sagoan?'. If the person being greeted was doing spectacularly well and in flying form, the reply might be a barely audible 'grand' or 'alright'. If not, a resigned sigh and shake of the head.

I considered invoking Kramer, Marge Simpson or the Bride of Frankenstein but opted for Henry.

You will indeed regret not adding Boston 2. You'd sit there thinking about it happening and feeling excluded. For my part, as ludicrously expensive as this 4-gig extravaganza is, I have no qualms about it as there's no question in my mind that this is finally it and that makes it huge for me. I'm fortunate enough to be able to do this so I'm doing it.

You're dead right (on all counts). I went for it.

So excited!

Now they just need to play a cover of the 'lady in the radiator' song 😃

You'll be up near the back of a rear block audience right, raised, the equivalent of about 2 blocks back from the stage. It won't be too bad but like all venues you'll be at the mercy of anyone in front of you who's very tall, has a huge head, high hair like the Eraserhead guy and a coldstream guard's hat. But if he's not there - not sure he's much of a fan - it should be ok.

Massive kudos for getting an Eraserhead reference into the 'What Genesis shows will you attend' thread!

I'm still on the fence about doing a second night in Boston but thinking if I don't, I will regret it.

Sarah Harding of Girls Aloud died this morning, aged just 39. She'd had breast cancer, which is much more treatable now but a year ago revealed it had spread to other parts of her body.

I'm assuming there probably aren't any Girls Aloud fans here. As far as manufactured pop acts go I really liked them, they had some good catchy songs and put on a good live show. It's very sad news she's died so young.

I read about that, and it's absolutely awful. They had some good songs, and she seemed like a genuine character. Very very sad.