Posts by thewatcher

Foals - Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost.

Not too familiar with this band but I like what I'm listening to. It's melodic and propulsive. They seem to be willing to experiment so it's not your bog-standard indie rock affair. Thumbs up from me.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

On Ant's compilation (ARCHIVE COLLECTION), F Sharp is credited to him and Mike. Ant has never been officially credited on TMB itself.

Thanks for the info. Seems odd to me. Maybe they offered and he declined? It seems like the basis for at least the start of the song.

Earlier I was vacuuming, a chore I really detest. It set me thinking: if while the vacuum cleaner was on, and you plugged the unadorned end of the hose over one of your eyes, do you think it would suck your eye out? I mean, obviously it wouldn't totally detach the eye, but maybe it'd dangle out? Perhaps look like the end of Total Recall?

Obviously I didn't try it, nor will I ever but I just wondered if anyone ever has or would be willing to give it a go and report back here. Cheers!

😆

I think it would all depend on the seal. If you got a perfect one and you could somehow keep your eyelid wide open then I think the eyeball would be gone.

I love Chinese food although I don't partake that often these days. If I was getting something to go with a nice meat dish, my personal choice would be a spicy vegetable side with cashews and some sort of green vegetable. And then egg fried rice or egg noodles, but never rice noodles. You'd have to know the egg fried rice isn't going to be too dry or too greasy.

I lived in China for a year. <Anecdote warning> The food was phenomenal. My absolute favorite stuff was street meats, there were stalls with little bits of beef or lamb stuck on little skewers, seasoned and cooked over a little barbecue in the cart. Usually adjacent there would be a guy selling some sort of heavenly bread, and if you put the two together it was to die for. In restaurants I always sought out a dish I don't see in western Chinese restaurants (or at least very rarely), it was egg and tomato fried together, usually with some scallion thrown in and probably tons of MSG. And my all time favorite thing was strictly not Chinese at all but they do it incredibly well: the Mongolian hot pot. Huge round table, massive vat of boiling broth in the middle, usually a spicy half and a regular half, and massive plates of raw ingredients for everyone to cook by themselves in the broth. It got more and more flavorsome as the meal went on because of all the different things being cooked in it. Usually lots of pijiu (beer) involved. Very social, tremendous fun and unbelievably delicious.

I also had the experience of ordering from an attempted English translation of a menu in a particularly out of the way place way west of Beijing. It had on it "lamb balls". Hmm, well that sounds quite tasty I thought, imagining some succulent tender meatballs with herbs and some nice dipping sauce. Nope. One plate, two testicles sitting nakedly on it. Not an herb or sauce in site. I examined them from every angle, but the answer to my question "what the fuck am I supposed to do with these?" never revealed itself. I did try a nibble.... But there's not much meat on those guys! It's entirely possible that the waiter still dines out on his story of the gullible westerner, but equally probable that it's a delicatessen I have no wish to revisit.

I also remember an earlier experience at a very local buffet where I literally couldn't recognize a thing. I was pretty hungry and thought I'd chance what looked like corn or something, but turned out to be deep fried bee larvae. Desperate at one point I seized on something that looked like raw onion. It was jellyfish, and yes I very nearly threw up.

I realize I'm very late to the party here, but did Philips write that F sharp bit? Why wasn't he credited for TMB if so? Or was he, and I just missed that completely?

And you've got to have at least one 'hate' team.

Yes, quite - and Chelsea are that team for a lot of people. I can't claim a great legitimate reason for being a fan, other than for me as a kid in school in the 90s, Man U were the team that filled the role Chelsea did for you. All the awful jocks at school slavishly obsessed with them. So they are my hate team. Chelsea caught my eye because blue is definitely not red, and I liked Zola. I was most obsessed during Jose's golden first spell (what a team).

While I don't hate them, I could never love Newcastle for having Lee Bowyer and Kieron Dyer on the pitch together 🤢. And Millwall... Rightly or wrongly I find synonymous with violence.

I was slightly surprised (& momentarily worried given his age & health!) to see Phil featuring in the Sky TV News headlines just now, but happily it’s positive: https://news.sky.com/story/the…ral-resurrection-12321389

Love the backhanded compliment in the statement: “The authors said Collins had done himself a favour by failing to reinvent himself.^^

The paper is 53 pages long 😲! They draw comparisons in their conclusion between the career trajectory of PC and John Travolta as well as... uh, Donald Trump.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3836529

This is Moby's alter ego. I always found Moby a kind of unusual artist. He has this very musically unexciting middle of the road popular aspect that he's known for, and he comes across personally as a boring hermit with fantastical ideas about how exciting his life is.

But he also made legitimately brilliant dance music in the 90s and puts out tons of ambient music. He has a panic disorder and one of his ambient releases was aimed at alleviating this in the listener, and it worked (for me) brilliantly. I forget which one it was, but this is one of his ambient, dark, long-form releases that I find therapeutic.

I love the track "Great Lake".

Apologies for the long post in a thread where we are supposed to just say what we are listening to.

As a Liverpool fan, I am very happy for Chelsea. Also very happy that Brentford (Phil's local team) are now in the Premier League.

Very gracious, thanks. I think most neutrals would agree the result on the night was fair. By all accounts, Brentford's ascent is extremely well deserved and they will be very welcomed

Well... Chelsea are the champions. I'm delighted. Yes I find the wealth and oligarch owner and super league stuff awful but your team is your team.

Also: the way city played typifies everything about why I dislike Giardiola's style. Tippy tappy tippy tappy, no balls and no penetration. Kante was out of this world. When he cleanly dispossessed DeBruyne and left him flat on the ground was beautiful.

Feel bad for Lampard.

Edit: 20 minutes in, my 8 year old daughter who knows (or I thought knew) next to nothing about soccer announced, verbatim, "the light blue team is better at keeping the ball but the dark blue team is making better chances to score". I think Sky or CBS could hire her!

The new Moby album. What a beautiful way to revisit the stuff you did in younger years.

I enjoyed it on the whole, though I'm not sure how many of the versions are better than the originals. Natural Blues has good energy, and I quite liked the Go that's on it. I would have liked more than just Go and God Moving Over The Face Of The Waters from his pre-Play era

Red rain

Mercy street

We do what we're told

I remember studying psychology and reading about the experiments Milgram's 37 refers to and it really resonated with me. To boot, I think I was reading Firestarter around the same time which features government experimenting on people.

I like So a lot. In addition to the above tracks, Don't Give Up is terrific. Fun trivia, it's Matthew Perry's (Chandler in Friends) favorite song. Don't ask me where I picked up that nugget.

WET!! Very very wet. Looks like we've got nothing but wall to wall rain to look forward to here. We're looking at a low of 9 degrees Celsius tomorrow, that's about 49 degrees Fahrenheit, and a high of 10C or about 50F. And it's going to be cloudy and wet. At least the lily's I planted are going to be well watered. And the impatients and our few herbs. I like fresh rosemary. I also like listening to rainfall on the roof and the windows.

Everyone, have a great day!

It is, but very in keeping with his work. Which I never liked, but there's a place for it. RIP and all that.

"...and just as I was about to bring the guitar crashing down upon the center of the bed my father woke up screaming "STOP!! Hold it boy! Wait a minute! What the hell do you think you're doing??!! That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument!" And I said "GOD DAMMIT DADDY!! You know I love you. But you've got a hell of a lot to learn about ROCK. AND. ROLL!!"

I can't but laugh at how theatrical and audacious some of his stuff was (like the above monologue from Bat out of Hell 2). Definitely an acquired taste and not for everyone. His solo material is weak but I like meat loaf and just discovered Pandora's Box when he died. All female singers, pretty good.

I like this one. The hazy psychedelic landscape reflects the music on the album really well.

I also like this one. Why is one of the fingers black? What does the writing on the index finger mean? And the dice looks all wrong. It also sets the tone for the album.