Posts by Wayne

The idea of reverting to stadiums might be a good one but then availability and number required would become a factor to cater for everyone with an existing ticket without having to scrap the whole tour and start again.

I think changing to Football Stadiums would be far easier than booking 12 arenas again, you probably could get away with five or Six. Only issue is the stage set which no doubt is already into the finalised stage in storage by now!, that would need a complete redesign and add to the costs already incurred ?. They may well already have an outside stage designed just in case they decided to go Stateside and play outdoor events?. An interesting topic though.

Wembley two dates

Manchester one date

Scotland stadium - ibrox , Celtic Park or Murryfield

Cardiff - Millennium Stadium

Dublin - Croke Park

Birmingham - Villa Park

That’s 300,000 people accommodated, I don’t know how many tickets they have sold?.

I feel a bit of a fraud to myself paying to see an ill man perform but if he’s up for it then so am I!, you’ve got to think about the logic of adding more and more shows though. I guess bands take out insurance beforehand in case things cannot happen?. but all power to him if he feels up to it then go for it. A lot of fans are probably of an elderly age now themselves but also a lot of fans will be new to the band and are more than likely overjoyed they are getting the opportunity to see true legends live for one last time. And I for one am grateful.

I guess regarding adding shows on top is due to demand to give more people the chance of seeing them but an open air slot would do that. I feel there will be open air dates added maybe a Glastonbury headline slot?.

To be honest I think a more sensible solution to this but ultimately not acceptable to all I guess would be to plan on altering these shows to outside venues, you could then limit the amount of people inside for example - football grounds to lower numbers then would normally be the case. For example say old Trafford in Manchester holds 80,000 seated?, then you could allow the 40,000 who booked for the Arena shows x 2 to attend an outdoor show with more space and room for them. With the added bonus of the virus transmission not been as easy outside?. It would have benefits for the group and especially Phil not having to do 20 shows which could be more tiring given his poor health. I know it isn’t perfect but looking at this could be an option. I do believe they are planning on doing a trial of opening outdoor sporting venues later this year. You could fit the 40,000 for the two Manchester dates in Old Trafford and only need the one show and have plenty of room for social distancing . Also put seats instead of standing on the pitch.

You could then distribute the tickets based on purchase price paid initially, if you paid premium price you could sit in front of the stage and further back if you paid less. I know this is probably not agreeable to some given acoustics and the sound not being as good, but it’s a compromise I would accept!.

If there is a vaccine by April you can bet your bottom dollar it won’t be available for everyone, only those at increased risk, Keyworkers, the elderly and compromised physically will be first to get it and rightly so. Although none of us has any idea of what could be around the corner with this

, I doubt this tour will happen in April. Don’t get me wrong I’d love it to but how many people will be uncertain about attending any of these massive shows if there is coronavirus more widely circulating than current times. Although I’m not a betting man I think they have took the first dates available and should have looked at least July or August 2021 onwards. Hopefully we don’t have a bad winter or second wave but if we do I think April will be a no go area for concerts of this scale?.

I’ve just

I agree April is very optimistic. Does anyone know anything about the Newcastle gigs and old tickets not being valid? Have had a garbled message from my son who arranged the tickets and I’m not sure I’ve understood him correctly and I can’t speak to him yet as he’s in work

I’ve just had an email saying that Tickets are valid for the two I’m going to at Manchester & Leeds so I would presume that you would have the same choices, unless they are changing capacity at Newcastle which I doubt?. I’m sure you will be fine.

Even the Prime Minister has just said that he doesn’t think the UK will be over this completely till the middle of next year !. I can see everyone having to wear masks at these shows anyway, it’s going to be fun at the bar when people start taking their masks off to have a glass of wine and a pint of beer!!. Who ever thought of April just doesn’t seem to get it for me.

Can just see Phil saying Manchester Arena how you all doing tonight? - 20,000 muffled replies in return due to the masks!. Going to look great on the concert Blu-ray All the masks looking back at him!!.

for me any concert over 1,000 people in a 3,000 seat venue till a vaccine is available is very foolhardy !.

I am in a similar position. I’ve Got tickets for both Manchester and Leeds first shows, why they just don’t announce it and be done with it?, Steve’s announced his are now pushed back as has all the other artists I’ve booked for. In fact, I haven’t got a single concert still showing as going ahead apart

from the Genesis shows. It’s a long wait though a year and a half !. It’s sad but no concert will be safe until a vaccine is found. They opened all the pubs here as you know and some have had to shut due to patrons having it so what chance have 20,000 arena concerts?.

foxfeeder, sadly on the subject of SACD I think we are in agreement. A real shame as a format it had great potential.

TGA

it may well be not as popular as regular cd or Blu-ray but SACD still is used by Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab and Analogue Productions for most of their releases. Neither of these use blu ray audio as far as I’m aware?.

I have heard all of the SACDs out of this box set and they are superb and then some but haven’t got them myself.

If anyone has the box sets in triplicate and want to sell them on I’d gladly give the initial purchase price !!. As has been mentioned earlier it’s been such a long time since these box sets were out why not take a chance and re issue them ?. A lot of artists have re issued box sets three or four times. I have just bought the Bill Withers box set which like these Genesis sets went up price wise, it’s great to see things that were expensive on the used market being released again (same goes for the Tears for Fears box sets that were recently re issued).

Are these hybrid discs high res on the stereo section? , I note you mention that you can play them on a standard CD player which can not accommodate high resolution and are limited to 44?. I’m only interested in High Resolution formats in stereo similar to the SACD medium?. Which is a very high level of sound quality in comparison to the standard audio compact disc, obviously Blu-ray audio would be acceptable as that would include 24/96 stereo along with 5.1 24/96 for those who prefer it.

My current speakers are Meridian 3200 actives which go up to 24/96 resolution and upsample everything else apparently. But Meridian ain’t really into the SACD format so I have to use an alternative headphone amp to listen to those.

The above post was most welcome and appreciated ?. I do feel that there is a market for the SACDs being released again , would be tremendous if the full discography could be bundled together in a box set. SACD is still a prized format for audio enthusiasts. I consider myself to be into audio but 5.1 has never really been my bag (due to limitations of space in my small flat), if I had 6 speakers I would be falling over them!. I hope someone who has any scope for re evaluating these will take a look at it again. As you know these box sets are going for close to £1000 for the three studio editions on the used market which I cannot afford or hope to. If an sacd hybrid box set came out of all albums for say £200 - £250 they could take my money and I’d be a very happy fan!.

I think there is demand for a lot of releases which don’t seem to be given any thought at the moment, there is money to be made and they can gladly have mine if they decide to re issue, re appraise any of the material. I don’t get why why haven’t had any high resolution basic stereo releases. Obviously the box sets were 5.1 24/96 but what about folks like me who only have traditional stereo set ups. I really feel this all could be looked at again. The TSL is a good idea by the way although I do have all the originals on vinyl including the live albums.

I would love further releases like the MFSL of ATOTT why stop at one!. A lot of groups And artists seem to have extended runs of these MFSL re issues for example Elvis Costello who’s had nearly all of his discography done!.

Maybe Genesis should employ someone to re evaluate the material which is there like the Prince Estate have done to brilliant effect.

I would love Super Deluxe Editions of Duke with extras such as Studio run throughs and the duke suite actually spliced together to form one continuous piece!!. Also potentially bundled with a remastered Live at Lyceum for example - now I’m dreaming I know !!.

I’ve still got the following artists with no change yet

Level 42

Nick Mason

Steve Hackett And Genesis
    doubt any of them will happen 2020.

why they don’t just re arrange them now it makes more sense?. And I cannot understand why I’m getting email after email saying this show is due in October and November from all the ticket agencies?.

I can’t see these shows happening this year, I would like to think they would but I’m thinking more and more there is no chance at all. I have booked to see another group in September At the Barbican for a 5 Night run and they have just emailed to say they are postponed for 12 months. I can either have a refund of the money or wait for 16 months!. Also Nick Masons Saucerful of Secrets (which I would have seen a couple of months ago), has been put back to October but I think that’s totally unrealistic as the concert scene seems to be progressing at this time.

My understanding is that the way people listen to music has changed. Sales of CDs have been steadily dropping due to streaming. People are definitely discovering classic rock groups, but I am not sure that will translate to sales of these kinds of sets.

I myself take the opposite view, people really love collecting deluxe box sets like this. There is a market for them now more than ever. Take a look at the artists Who are re issuing old material of years gone past, padding the boxes out with insignificant filler such as tour laminates etc, which people look at once (I know I do), Blu-ray and 24/96 stuff is very popular as are 5.1 mixes which I have a few of but don’t have the room or speakers to listen to!!. I know it’s a different type of music but Tears for Fears re released two box sets (which demand high prices on eBay) a couple of months ago. Again, both of which were top sellers on the net. These are now both sold out within a few days of the pre order. Both are demanding high prices once again on eBay. I wish I was involved in this type of thing I’d be trying to get them out again, I don’t remember seeing much publicity For the three Genesis sets first time around?.

I’m sure there would be a market for these, how many fans have the group gained since these box sets were originally released ?. Although no one can ever say a number, i’m guessing adults or young adults who were children or teenagers when these box sets came out would dearly love to own them. Classic rock groups gain many 1,000s of new fans every year - there will definitely be a market for these. I’d take the three sets without thinking if they became available to pre order on re issue. 12 years down the line these deserve a second run, I don’t think it would be a detrimental direction for those who have the rights to take.

Maybe we could get a petition going to get them to revisit those 12 mins of sheer bliss for those of us who have only heard it live on YouTube !!. I was in the garden listening to it the other night and my neighbours next door said is that Phil Collins , it ain’t bad that is it lad!! Obviously they played snippets on the Manchester Gig at old Trafford but I feel the instrumental alone isn’t a patch on the full thing with Duchess - I agree for me it is probably their best musical moment - and Mr Banks is rightly proud of it and the album as a whole, he seems to have endless regrets about a lot of the other stuff on other album before it !. I wonder what happened to the drum machine?, didn’t have a name for it?.