Posts by Wayne

The first time I heard it was just before the album's release at an earlier gig on the tour, the first of the three London Hammersmith Odeon shows. It was the only time I ever heard completely new Genesis material at one of their gigs. I was most struck by the opening section of Duchess, I thought it was unlike anything they'd done before. The throbbing and chittering of the drum machine, the warm keyboard textures and the ethereal guitar echoing around the hall, and the pulsing low deep green lighting all made a huge impression on me and it remains one of my indelible gig 'moments'. I eagerly listened out for it when hearing the album for the first time a few days later. It's still one of my top 10 Genesis songs, and that bit is one of my favourite segments of any of their songs.

that’s really interesting as that is the Section I really like about the suite of songs, that change involving the drum Machine!. I bet it made your hair stand on end when Duchess started off in the live setting in such a small intimate venue. I’ve often thought about the reasons behind the planning of such a small venue tour, as I remember it Genesis were still a massive group in 1980, and I bet ticket demand far outweighed supply!. I watched the Granada programme last night of the Liverpool gig, and the chap with the denim jacket who had been offered £50 for a £5 ticket really brought back memories of myself as a teenager!. It really goes to show that music can leave important memories and imprints on your life.

My first two gigs I remember like yesterday first was Pink Floyd the Wall at Earls Court taken by friends and his dad think that was 1981, next was Neil Young Trans Tour at the Wembley Arena . Funnily enough as I get older gigs I have been to years later have completely gone amiss!!. Still have a pic of me hitchhiking to the Monsters Of Rock at Castle Donnington to see AC/DC around that time must have been 1982 but my memory fades!!.

Saw Peter Gabriel at the Amnesty International Concert at the Old Wembley Stadium that was a great day out .

On the Duke tour in 1980 they did all the ones you listed, with TIOA sandwiched in the middle, as a continuous suite. You can find it at 36:55 on this video of the famous 7 May 1980 London Lyceum gig (which has a 14yo me in the audience, listen out for my cheering), though I recommend you sit back and treat yourself to the entire show.

I’m hoping that they could do that section once again similar to “three sides live” on the next tour but I doubt we will be lucky enough to see It. I just wish I could have put myself In your position. Sadly I was only 14 when they did that tour and I wasn’t allowed to go , same as Zeppelin at Knebworth the year before which I couldn’t go and see due to my age and lack of knowing anyone older who could take me!!.

Regarding the Duke album it would have been great if they could have put all sections on Side 1 instead of spread out at the beginning and end of it.

I really love the continuous Behind The Lines/Duchess/Guide Vocal on both album and on what live footage I’ve seen on YouTube. Can I ask did the guys ever record it with Dukes Travels/end as one continuous performance whether in the studio or live? Would love to hear a “Suppers Ready” type full length as I believe was originally planned!.

If the band took one look at the ridiculous prices people are asking for these sets on eBay maybe then they would re issue them?. £500 for 6 SACDs and dvds. People are just demanding to much and after quick profits?. I don’t know if any of Genesis record company ever come on here to gauge feeling or if any members have contact with people who make the release decisions?. Blu-rays Audio and video of all these with the same content would be excellent . I particularly enjoy the re issue interview sections which surely were filmed in HD?.

Does anyone know why these box sets haven’t been re issued?, surely there must be a good demand for them. It would be great if anyone could have a word with those who consider re releasing. I’ve wanted them for years but ain’t wanting to pay £300 for the first box especially!.

I personally feel that the set list will mirror what was on the last tour give or take a couple of songs. I don’t expect to see any of the Gabriel era songs apart from those included in the Old Medley and Carpet Crawlers. What would be tremendous for me personally would be for the set to mirror the Three Sides Live album. My own personal favourites I would include “misunderstanding” and “One for the vine” and drop “I Can’t Dance, No Son of Mine and Throwing it all away. I know most here will say that isn’t going to happen but for me it would be great. I do appreciate that folks who haven’t seen them before would expect to see the songs I have mentioned included and feel they would be shortchanged if they weren’t included. Who would be in a group having such a catalogue. As a bands repertoire increases there are always going to be winners and losers. When you go and see a group more than once on any tour there are very rarely any differences in running order or experimentation. I’ve seen Muse loads of times and the shows are more or less identical every time.

I have been watching the re runs of the concerts every Saturday evening at the same time as my girlfriend who lives 100 miles away and can’t travel at this time. I haven’t seen any of these concerts before so it been really exciting for the both of us, to have a mini quiz via texting and guess the songs by the first few bars!. The “Brazilian” had us both stumped till I checked the LP cover after the show finished. It really makes a nice change seeing these. The only issue I have found is the terrible picture quality on YouTube !, The first concert “Three Sides Live” was very clear but Mama Tour and Wembley both were very grainy and pixellating. It’s a shame that they couldn’t put great quality video on during this premier event?. 360 resolution on a 55” screen isn’t a good look. Hopefully this weeks show will be better. anyone know why they are such poor picture quality?. Surely time for a tidy up and remastering?, Great concerts though.

I don’t know if he still owns it l, (or ever did) but I was watching a programme called Aerial America on Smithsonian Channel two nights ago and it flew over a home in Florida apparently owned by Phil it said he paid a female pop star $35 million for it forgot who she was. I think I’ll have to take singing lessons and drumming lessons (Oh and acting lessons as well) seems to pay well!!.

As for Tony and The Lamb, I think he gets very attached to how things were at the time and doesn't seem to move on from that. Both he and Peter were the main lyricists in Genesis back then and he begrudged Peter taking on the sole writing for The Lamb.

I agree, that’s what I was thinking when I watched it. I do think that the album may not have been lyrically as interesting if you got a few members contributing words for it. I think the scenes that Peter set out with those words are touching on genius as I see it. The fact that he was apparently sat in another room writing those words whilst the others were getting on with the music itself is also amazing. Considering what he was having to go through in his own personal life at that time makes me think it was amazing that he could write anything constructive and imaginative at all. A credit to him that he managed it. Tony Banks though equally has a dominant influence on the album with his keyboard work which I think he can be justifiably proud of, even though he doesn’t seem to look back on the whole experience with much enthusiasm.

I’ve just had the opportunity to watch the dvd section of the 1970-75 Lamb disc, amazing how much Tony Banks seems to not rate the album that highly?, I wonder if he has changed his opinion of it since then?. Most fans would rate it as their best work I would guess?. A great watch. I do hope they one day re issue these boxes, seems to me a no brainer and would be a good seller now the equipment to play it on has decreased in price, I remember SACD was quite a niche product and expensive when it came out, which for the most part it still is with regard to audiophile labels.

I listened to the comparison (highlighted earlier in the thread) of various versions and that Reel to Reel tape certainly is an interesting listen, the bass guitar sounds really up front to my ears and it would be great to listen to it all rather than snippets?. It seems a shame that something as interesting as that isn’t available in full for us all to enjoy!. Just my take on it. I mean how long would it take to copy a reel tape to flac and upload it ?, not that long I would guess.

I wonder how many other folks have had such things on reel tape over the years and ain’t had a clue what they had and copied over it with the weekly top 20!.

Well I guess Genesis could do the same thing as Bon Jovi did?. If indeed they postpone to 2021?. It would be nice for the fans to have the option if they can’t make any altered dates.

I’m sure there are a lot of fans here in the UK whom are financially at a low ebb due to current problems and could well do with an extra £400 for food etc. I would anticipate that many Genesis fans are currently in a different financial predicament than they would have been when buying these tickets.

Thanks to StillCan’tDance and bromleybruce for their encouragement and offer of help. Having a complicated lockdown just now with some health issues with older relatives but once I get time I will have a crack at the downloads. As for the box sets they are really nice to have and sound great and I wonder if there’s any way, as a collective, this forum can make contact with the band’s management and see if an small scale reissue could happen? They don’t seem to like issuing new products or live material but surely making official product available would be to everyone’s benefit? At least they could cost it out?

count me in for all boxes please if anyone has any possibility of making this happen it would be excellent news.

Could one of you folks who owns these sacd/dvd boxes remind me what they cost when they came out retail?. I do realise that the price they go for now makes your eyes water!!. I wouldn’t pay the price they ask on the auction site as I’ve never really been into CDs as much as vinyl records, I bought every vinyl record from And then there were three on release or not far from it. Funny how I remember seeing such titles in Woolworths at the time. I really wonder why they haven’t thought about re issuing them again?.

I agree the remixes that I have heard so far on SACD (that I sadly don’t own myself), are great “Trespass” and “Selling England” are amazing to listen to on that medium. But over £300 on the used market for my favourite box 70/75 is out of reach.

I agree that it is extremely harsh and uncaring to alter terms like this especially at this time, it shows to me that they are just interested in making money and aren’t at all bothered about the fans. Indeed they are even suggesting fans sell tickets themselves if they cannot attend a show to get their purchase price back!, (People buying tickets close to concert dates expect to pay far less that face value). It reminds me of when I last saw Genesis at Old Trafford Stadium, people outside were actually giving spare tickets away and as fans already had tickets there were no takers!. If these dates are rescheduled, and people who have booked for weekend performances suddenly are faced with having to attend on a weeknight, I can see many unhappy people as a result!.

If this tour is put back the agency may well have to deal with thousands of people returning tickets they can't use anymore.

isn’t it now the case that ticketmaster don’t have to refund unless the gigs are cancelled as mentioned above?, my partner read somewhere that they recently changed their terms and conditions?. So returning tickets isn’t an option if you for example can’t attend on so and so a date due to a prior work commitment for example. I may be wrong in that. I guess it could all be a technical matter of when Ticketmaster changed their terms and conditions?, if you bought tickets for such and such a show and the terms of purchase changed after you bought those tickets then maybe they have to honour the original purchase terms. I don’t know maybe someone else more experienced can comment?. I have around 10 concerts lined up over the coming months and fingers crossed they don’t reschedule or push back and I end up with two shows on the same night!. Saying that I’m supposed to be seeing Jeff Beck next Month and it’s still showing as tickets are on sale so it’s all up in the air!.

The only issue I see with moving the dates is that they could cross over with dates of other shows you may have booked , Then where would you stand getting your money back?. Ticketmaster would no doubt say it’s not our fault you have two concerts on the same date etc etc. Off the top of my head I guess that £60,000,000 of tickets have been sold for these concerts in the Uk and it’s a lot to refund if they get cancelled!. I know I’m into it for around £700 or so for two concerts for two people.

I agree with EricM above TM must be sat On millions of £/S so cancelling shows would be a hassle I’m sure they wouldn’t wish to go through administratively - but then again sitting on so much money must surely earn a little interest as has been said above. I guess I’m fortunate though as I’m sure there must be a lot of fans whom are travelling from international destinations to see these shows and have more to consider like fights hotels etc etc. I obviously hope that these do happen as planned during the original pencilled in dates but I’m probably a little to optimistic for my own good!.