Posts by Wayne

I’ve still got the following artists with no change yet

Level 42

Nick Mason

Steve Hackett And Genesis
    doubt any of them will happen 2020.

why they don’t just re arrange them now it makes more sense?. And I cannot understand why I’m getting email after email saying this show is due in October and November from all the ticket agencies?.

I can’t see these shows happening this year, I would like to think they would but I’m thinking more and more there is no chance at all. I have booked to see another group in September At the Barbican for a 5 Night run and they have just emailed to say they are postponed for 12 months. I can either have a refund of the money or wait for 16 months!. Also Nick Masons Saucerful of Secrets (which I would have seen a couple of months ago), has been put back to October but I think that’s totally unrealistic as the concert scene seems to be progressing at this time.

It just cannot be correct in the current circumstances, why don’t the masses protesting just think for a minute about the wider implications of those actions!. Such massive protests give the virus the chance (a massive opportunity as I see it) to come back with a vengeance. Im all for people being peaceful and using their democratic right to show solidarity but it’s just wrong at this time. Apparently reporters who cover such events have never seen crowds so packed together and huge.

What about those at risk here!, don’t they deserve to be considered by the protestors!, what about the NHS in a few weeks potentially?. The government will blame today as a catalyst of any future heartaches and pain.

If coronavirus had intelligence it wouldn’t believe its luck!.

I ask myself this question?,

if George Floyd had of been murdered two months ago at the first height of this epidemic here in the Uk - what would have happened then?, would 50,000 people have broke the lockdown and protested then?. What would the authorities have done in response if they did?.

it was wrong terribly wrong what happened to that poor man and showed just how low some humans can get, but isn’t protesting at this time wrong to?.

Well today I must say I’m a little concerned, watching Sky News and seeing probably 50,000 people protesting in London today (maybe more) isn’t right in the current circumstances. No matter how much we feel revulsion and anger over the murder of George Floyd (and I do feel anger, although I’m white I have black mother and half of my heritage is from West Africa on my mums side). They shouldn’t have protested In such ridiculous quantities and so close together. Do they think they are immune to the virus or something!!. It’s still there and for sure some of those will get it in that crowd, travel back to where ever they come from and give it to others and we will be back to square one again . Nobody has listened at all to the governments requests. I’m fuming !. Ok protest , show your anger and empathy with black citizens Worldwide but gathering in massive crowds like that is just asking for trouble.

You can’t really consider coronavirus without the political aspect with respect, they both are intertwined. I personally feel we here in the UK should have got on top of this from the beginning and those in charge of us (Politicians) weren’t decisive enough in the beginning. Personally I feel they have let things slide with cutbacks for years and years, refusing money for this cutting a little back here and a little there. This has been predicted for years and I believe that they should have been more prepared than was the case. They should have stockpiled PPE and built up a supply over years, ok it may have gone out of date but at least it would have been there available and ready?. All the indecision has made this a lot worse than it should have been. Look at Germany, testing done in massive amounts, no where near as many people losing their lives to it. They seem to know what they are doing, why can’t we be the same?.

Will we learn the hard lessons if this ever improves?, I doubt if I really do!. Will the government stockpile equipment and ventilation equipment for the next pandemic or will they think lightening doesn’t strike twice it can’t happen again so quickly?. I appreciate that once this took hold it’s hard to get to grips with and I don’t envy anyone in power from having sleepless nights. But I feel they had thought possibly that it’s not going to happen as bad over here?. The reality is it’s worse here than nearly everywhere else in Europe. And you’ve got to ask yourself why exactly is it?. I remember a few weeks ago on the tv they where saying “Italy has it bad due to an ageing population”, well it’s been as bad and worse here. Our demographic of populace cannot be that much different from other European nations and we are still showing R of 0.6-0.9 after 10 weeks of lock down?.

Well after great fanfare we can now have 6 people in our gardens!, it’s times like this when I wished I had a garden to sit in!!. I honestly don’t understand why they haven’t said nominate one family member Or loved one who doesn’t live with you who can come into your flat etc, one only and the same one no compromises!. I live alone my partner lives alone 100 miles away, we both only have small numbers of relatives and have religiously followed everything to the letter and will of course continue to do so. He hasn’t done anything for people such as us and it doesn’t seem it’s on the horizons or remotely anywhere near being announced!. I was feeling pleasantly optimistic before this afternoons press conference and now I feel as if there will be no change to the current situation for months. If I didn’t live alone it would be easier, I only have internet on my phone and they ain’t doing installs due to the pandemic so no FaceTime for me just 3G communication and chats on the telephone.

It would seem listening to the Radio here in the Uk, that people are now prepared to do exactly what they feel like or are intending to break the regulations. I like probably all of us are getting sick of the isolation but, I’m sticking to it for the sake of keeping people not as physically able as myself safe. I haven’t seen my partner of 15 years for nearly three months now (we both live in separate towns and we ain’t allowed to enter one another place of residence). But due to Dominic Cummins action it seems other people are now using it as an excuse to have people in their homes, parties in their gardens and basically just carry on as we did prior to lockdown. Although I actually was repulsed and felt sorry for him the other day (when the press were all over him like leaches, and seemed to be really putting the pressure on) I feel like he could of at least said sorry I was wrong. And stated it from the heart!, but he hasn’t, It makes me wonder what hold or knowledge has he got about Boris Johnson?. It just doesn’t add up to me how he is still in post?. Amazing how the actions of one man can push others to use it as an excuse to break rules which are there for everyone’s well being?.

My understanding is that the way people listen to music has changed. Sales of CDs have been steadily dropping due to streaming. People are definitely discovering classic rock groups, but I am not sure that will translate to sales of these kinds of sets.

I myself take the opposite view, people really love collecting deluxe box sets like this. There is a market for them now more than ever. Take a look at the artists Who are re issuing old material of years gone past, padding the boxes out with insignificant filler such as tour laminates etc, which people look at once (I know I do), Blu-ray and 24/96 stuff is very popular as are 5.1 mixes which I have a few of but don’t have the room or speakers to listen to!!. I know it’s a different type of music but Tears for Fears re released two box sets (which demand high prices on eBay) a couple of months ago. Again, both of which were top sellers on the net. These are now both sold out within a few days of the pre order. Both are demanding high prices once again on eBay. I wish I was involved in this type of thing I’d be trying to get them out again, I don’t remember seeing much publicity For the three Genesis sets first time around?.

I’m sure there would be a market for these, how many fans have the group gained since these box sets were originally released ?. Although no one can ever say a number, i’m guessing adults or young adults who were children or teenagers when these box sets came out would dearly love to own them. Classic rock groups gain many 1,000s of new fans every year - there will definitely be a market for these. I’d take the three sets without thinking if they became available to pre order on re issue. 12 years down the line these deserve a second run, I don’t think it would be a detrimental direction for those who have the rights to take.

Maybe we could get a petition going to get them to revisit those 12 mins of sheer bliss for those of us who have only heard it live on YouTube !!. I was in the garden listening to it the other night and my neighbours next door said is that Phil Collins , it ain’t bad that is it lad!! Obviously they played snippets on the Manchester Gig at old Trafford but I feel the instrumental alone isn’t a patch on the full thing with Duchess - I agree for me it is probably their best musical moment - and Mr Banks is rightly proud of it and the album as a whole, he seems to have endless regrets about a lot of the other stuff on other album before it !. I wonder what happened to the drum machine?, didn’t have a name for it?.

The first time I heard it was just before the album's release at an earlier gig on the tour, the first of the three London Hammersmith Odeon shows. It was the only time I ever heard completely new Genesis material at one of their gigs. I was most struck by the opening section of Duchess, I thought it was unlike anything they'd done before. The throbbing and chittering of the drum machine, the warm keyboard textures and the ethereal guitar echoing around the hall, and the pulsing low deep green lighting all made a huge impression on me and it remains one of my indelible gig 'moments'. I eagerly listened out for it when hearing the album for the first time a few days later. It's still one of my top 10 Genesis songs, and that bit is one of my favourite segments of any of their songs.

that’s really interesting as that is the Section I really like about the suite of songs, that change involving the drum Machine!. I bet it made your hair stand on end when Duchess started off in the live setting in such a small intimate venue. I’ve often thought about the reasons behind the planning of such a small venue tour, as I remember it Genesis were still a massive group in 1980, and I bet ticket demand far outweighed supply!. I watched the Granada programme last night of the Liverpool gig, and the chap with the denim jacket who had been offered £50 for a £5 ticket really brought back memories of myself as a teenager!. It really goes to show that music can leave important memories and imprints on your life.

My first two gigs I remember like yesterday first was Pink Floyd the Wall at Earls Court taken by friends and his dad think that was 1981, next was Neil Young Trans Tour at the Wembley Arena . Funnily enough as I get older gigs I have been to years later have completely gone amiss!!. Still have a pic of me hitchhiking to the Monsters Of Rock at Castle Donnington to see AC/DC around that time must have been 1982 but my memory fades!!.

Saw Peter Gabriel at the Amnesty International Concert at the Old Wembley Stadium that was a great day out .

On the Duke tour in 1980 they did all the ones you listed, with TIOA sandwiched in the middle, as a continuous suite. You can find it at 36:55 on this video of the famous 7 May 1980 London Lyceum gig (which has a 14yo me in the audience, listen out for my cheering), though I recommend you sit back and treat yourself to the entire show.

I’m hoping that they could do that section once again similar to “three sides live” on the next tour but I doubt we will be lucky enough to see It. I just wish I could have put myself In your position. Sadly I was only 14 when they did that tour and I wasn’t allowed to go , same as Zeppelin at Knebworth the year before which I couldn’t go and see due to my age and lack of knowing anyone older who could take me!!.

Regarding the Duke album it would have been great if they could have put all sections on Side 1 instead of spread out at the beginning and end of it.

I really love the continuous Behind The Lines/Duchess/Guide Vocal on both album and on what live footage I’ve seen on YouTube. Can I ask did the guys ever record it with Dukes Travels/end as one continuous performance whether in the studio or live? Would love to hear a “Suppers Ready” type full length as I believe was originally planned!.

If the band took one look at the ridiculous prices people are asking for these sets on eBay maybe then they would re issue them?. £500 for 6 SACDs and dvds. People are just demanding to much and after quick profits?. I don’t know if any of Genesis record company ever come on here to gauge feeling or if any members have contact with people who make the release decisions?. Blu-rays Audio and video of all these with the same content would be excellent . I particularly enjoy the re issue interview sections which surely were filmed in HD?.

Does anyone know why these box sets haven’t been re issued?, surely there must be a good demand for them. It would be great if anyone could have a word with those who consider re releasing. I’ve wanted them for years but ain’t wanting to pay £300 for the first box especially!.

I personally feel that the set list will mirror what was on the last tour give or take a couple of songs. I don’t expect to see any of the Gabriel era songs apart from those included in the Old Medley and Carpet Crawlers. What would be tremendous for me personally would be for the set to mirror the Three Sides Live album. My own personal favourites I would include “misunderstanding” and “One for the vine” and drop “I Can’t Dance, No Son of Mine and Throwing it all away. I know most here will say that isn’t going to happen but for me it would be great. I do appreciate that folks who haven’t seen them before would expect to see the songs I have mentioned included and feel they would be shortchanged if they weren’t included. Who would be in a group having such a catalogue. As a bands repertoire increases there are always going to be winners and losers. When you go and see a group more than once on any tour there are very rarely any differences in running order or experimentation. I’ve seen Muse loads of times and the shows are more or less identical every time.

I agree with what has been said above, I personally think that it is far to early to come out of any lockdown, 500 people losing their lives every day and they are thinking of coming out of it!. No not for me I’ll be keeping myself to myself for as long as it takes till there are far, far less deaths. It’s just not worth it I wouldn’t forgive myself if I gave it to my relatives some of whom are in vulnerable groups. I can see this ending in far more tears for far more families, we just haven’t got to grips with it over here in the UK the politicians ain’t exactly convincing anyone I know.