Posts by absinthe_boy

One thing Genesis has always been good at is creating "flow" in their setlist (some bands are horrible at it) - though ending with Carpet Crawlers in '07 was a bit weird, despite their emotional attachment to the song. So expect a punch in the face as the opener and closer, whatever these might be. I also can't imagine that they won't include an older song in the encore to close that loop. The again, we'll all know soon! Take care.

I guess we will know in a week and a few hours

Does anyone know why they are emotionally attached to Carpet Crawlers? I've heard Phil and Tony mention it, but I've never known specifically why.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tv…-sparks-concern-fans.html

Article about Phil on BBC Breakfast TV This Morning- Can somebody find the video:

Thanks

Because The Daily Mail is such a trustworthy, respected and respectful newspaper....

While I do agree that in interviews Phil seems frail and his speech is a little slow, he comes alive when he sings. I really don't think he enjoys the publicity side of this any more. he just wants to sing and do the gigs.

And he's made that abundantly clear since first talking about coming out of retirement back in 2016.

The gvt has always made it abundantly clear that some restrictive measures might have to be reintroduced in the autumn/winter over the next couple of years. While maintaining that they want to avoid another lockdown at virtually all costs.

The newspapers are, of course, desperate for clicks and sales and generate panic by spouting any guff they can "think" of. What is entirely feasible is that around mid to late October, we might get an extended school half term if it is felt that schools are driving an increase in infections and if that increase is resulting in significantly higher number of hospitalisations and deaths. The weekly death toll has risen, but may still be what the gvt deems "acceptable" - though I realise it isn't acceptable to the relatives of those who die early from Covid-19. It's also conceivable that there will be an indoor mask mandate, and it still defies belief that there are people who make such a fuss over face coverings. I don't especially like them for a variety of reasons but the science is there, proven for decades, they help prevent spread of respiratory disease. They're safe for the vast majority of people to wear. They're not muzzles or some magical symbol of freedom (or oppression. Gods, if wearing a piece of cloth over your face is the most repression you ever face, then you are doing extremelywell).

I think it highly likely that "vaccine passports" will become some sort of legal requirement to attend large indoor events and clubs. Those restrictions will hopefully be sufficient to prevent a disastrous increase in serious illnesses which will over-run the NHS.

Either way, I see no changes until mid October....not that I have inside info, I'm just listening to what the politicians actually say rather than through the filter of hysterical newspapers. I also pay attention to people like Whitty and Van-Tam.

Being a physician, I believe Phil is pretty significantly medicated. Knowing patients that have chronic back issues some of the medications that are used often cause them to have slurred and slow speech. It’s really difficult for me to see Phil like this. It does make me sad. But I commend him for giving it a go and I hope everything goes well.

He does seem quite slow to articulate in interviews, but comes alive on stage. Some of his singing in the recent documentary, while certainly several tones transposed, was pretty powerful. No, he hasn't got the pipes of a 30 year old or even 50 year old but there's still some strength and power there.

Regarding the set, I do feel they might not fully realise that all their songs are old and dated now. I Can't Dance is now 10 years older than The Musical Box was when they toured We Can't Dance. Those electronic drum sounds on Invisible Touch, if anything, sound more dated than the Mellotron and organ on Nursery Cryme. And Phil's drumming on the albums from NC up to Duke has aged very well, it's back in fashion. It's a shame if they rehearsed more 70s material and decided not to perform it because they didn't feel it sounded "up to date" rather than because they found it too difficult. though in the end it is up to Mike, Tony and Phil....they play stuff they enjoy, I assume. And if they don't enjoy Watcher or Salmacis, they won't play them.

I do wonder if things have shifted compared to 07. I'd say back then the vast majority of fans were more familiar with the 80s hits. Though it is a wonderful thing to be surrounded by 60k people chanting "Me, I'm just a lawnmower" and rocking out to Los Endos. But in the intervening years there actually has been more emphasis on the older material in the media with articles describing them as a 70s prog band. The reissues and documentaries have brought the Gabriel/Hackett eras to more ears than before. I still reckon at least half the audience at most venues will be there to hear Invisible Touch or Mama....but maybe the balance has changed a bit and there will be 40% who would love to hear something pulled deeper from the bag.

I hope they tour on and off for a couple of years like Phil did, and consider some changes to the set. Though whatever they play, assuming it's not a two hour free form improv based on Whodunnit.....I hope it goes down well and I hope they play and sing well.

Anyone finding the tour has made its way into their dreams yet?

Yes!

I had a dream that Genesis did a BBC Radio 2 special where they opened with the instrumental versionof Watcher Of The Skies and then Phil said as this was a one-off special they'd play some songs that won't be heard on tour. After that they played the expected things like Abacab, That's All, Domino....then full Supper's Ready and an acoustic set which included one verse of Let Us Now Make Love...then Invisible Touch and ending with Mama....encore of a 15 minute Duke medley.

Not going to happen but what a dream!"

Also a brief clip of Cinema Show. Given that Phil gave the full song a try during rehearsals last time but couldn’t hit the high notes I’m guessing we may be in for the usual ITC/Cinema Show/Afterglow medley, with some other bit folded in between CS and Afterglow. Also would seem to mean that Supper’s Ready didn’t make the final cut.

I thought Phil wanted to try it but Mike refused as he "can't remember" the guitar tuning for the opening section.

that's bee Mike's reason for not playing some early material since at least the Mama tour. No doubt some truth in it but I know at least two guitarists he could ask....if he wanted.

I don't think there's any evidence that they got as far as finding out if Phil could handle the whole song. Tony wanted it. Phil was up for trying. Mike was not. Mike won.

One thing that disappoints me a little is the keyboards sounds. When Dave Kerzner revealed he had helped to set up Tony's rig, I was hoping Tony would get better sounds than in 2007 (I'm not an "old analog gear" fetishist, modern keyboards and computers are much more convenient and reliable, and can sound better).

From what I've heard, it sounds very much like 14 years ago, no so good, especially this Cinema Show lead synth.

A Korg Oasys can sound good, so it's really a matter of programming. Maybe they didn't have the time to review and redefine everything because of Covid, so Tony had to reuse the programs he had back then.

Tony Banks can probably do anything he desires regarding synth sounds...so one must assume that those are the sounds he wants. Dave has stated elsewhere that he's provided Tony with patches and samples which mimic the old analogue synths but it's up to Tony if he uses them.

I love analogue synths but fully understand a touring musician wanting something far more modern, reliable and updatable. But I don't know why he chooses sounds that are very different to the original in some cases. I agree that Cinema Show really sticks out. In recent interviews it's clear he still remembers how he got those sounds in the early 70s, and he still listens to the songs...so he must know they sound different the way he plays them now. Must be how he wants them to sound.

I'm also curious about what audience assistance we could lend for Watcher of the Skies. To be honest, as an audience member I'm not prepared to help with anything other than just being there, enjoying and applauding.

Everyone could wear bat wings on their heads.

Chances are 70% of the audience wouldn't know the words to sing along. Though I do maintain that the intro and instrumental parts are so powerful, along with modern visuals, that it would make a stunning opening to a Genesis show in 2021.

They'll play something from The Lamb, because they have on every tour since The Lamb....but likely the old favourites....Carpet Crawlers is almost certain. The title track seems to be heavily rumoured though I don't remember if Nic has talked about rehearsing it. Cage medley has to be a possibility though I have a feeling they'll leave that one out this time.

It's Gonna Get Better is another safe bet, possibly after Land Of Confusion. I'm guessing there will be as many happy tunes and as few sad ones as possible. If The Knife was rehearsed they may have gotten to, "Some of you are going to d....wait, let's not do this one. Too soon."

Squonk, Watcher, and most songs from The Lamb are possible with help from the backup singers and audience.

I like thewatcher's idea of Phil doing a Willy Wonka walk-on. At the very least I'd like to see him do a short walk for I Can't Dance.

They assuredly didn't rehearse The Knife. Mike and Tony made that clear in the Prog Magazine interview in March 2020. They both laughed at the idea that The Knife might be "dusted off" for this tour. There's only one conclusion, they discounted the idea before any rehearsals began.

I do like the Willy Wonka entrance idea. Phil might well think it's fun too.

I agree completely, though I must admit some confusion as to how my name got changed from Moonlitknight to SquigelyFox.

I've been having issues with the quote function. I think somehow the forum software still thinks I have a draft message on the go quoting SquigleyFox even though I've tried deleting it multiple times. So apologies for the incorrect attribution.

I blame Brexit. And Trump. And Corbyn. Probably Obama's fault too. And Phil Collins' most recent ex-wife. All their fault. (vague attempt at humour)

More evidence that not getting vaccinated is not simply a matter of individual rights: my girlfriend’s co-worker has refused to get vaccinated. The co-worker just tested positive and is showing symptoms. Now they have to close down the business at least for the rest of the week. My gf is a massage therapist at an upscale spa in a resort town. No customers = no income for this week. Thank you selfish dingbat co-worker.

At my wife's place of work they hired a new PA who started last week. "vaccine sceptic" who hasn't been immunised. Last week Wednesday she felt sufficiently ill to book a PCR covid test, but still went to work on Thursday. She was being trained by someone working in close proximity to her. PCR test came back positive during the work day and of course she left - but took several hours to actually tell the company what her illness was.

Now that has a knock on effect. Everyone in the building now has to be tested. But more importantly, the person training her hadn't seen their elderly parents for over a year. They were waiting to be fully vaccinated themselves before booking travel (they do not drive)...and had booked to see their parents this past weekend. They had to cancel because while they were able to swab for the PCR test on Friday, the results didn't come through until Sunday.

Thankfully negative but again, the utterly stupid and selfish actions of one employee caused unnecessary worry and someone to further delay seeing their parents.

An example at my work, which is a large school. We've been brilliant at using bubbles to contain isolated cases. The only incident where we had any spread was where a senior manager decided to hold a meeting in an office designated for two persons.....with five people, no masks and the windows closed. Said senior manager later tested positive after developing symptoms and four of the five others caught it from them, testing positive the following week. One was hospitalised, and all passed it on to families.

Don't be covidiots.

I know people are worried about the UK dates but ask yourself....is a full theatre/arena show currently legal in Ireland? No. Is such a show currently legal in England and Scotland? Yes.

Provided things don't go very wrong, the mainland UK dates can proceed. Hopefully most of the US dates too, though some states are looking decidedly dodgy.

I think the biggest surprise is gonna be

I just have a feeling it'll be played.

It features a lot in the rumours....and used to be a favourite....it's conceivable...more likely than some titles being mentioned.

If I really had one wish, it would be for Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett and Anthony Phillips to join them on one date for a full on 10 minute smash through The Knife.

It's not going to happen. But that would be my one wish.

I do get the impression that some people confuse "I really want that song to be played" with "They're likely to play that song".

I'd absolutely love them to open with Watcher, even an instrumental version, and close with The Knife. They could play two hours of improvisational jam based around Whoudnnit in between and I'd still have a blast. But I am realistic enough to understand that is *extremely* unlikely. They've stated they are not "dusting off" The Knife, and the indications are that they may have rehearsed Watcher but it didn't make the cut.

Realistically they're going to play Invisible Touch, Mama, Land Of Confusion, That's All. Not only are they the most familiar "hits", all but one has been heard in the teaser videos. They'll likely have a couple of better known hits from WDC too. And Follow You, Follow Me. They'll play the songs Nic has talked about - Apocalypse, Home By The Sea, Abacab.

Knowing Genesis there may be one genuine surprise...though that might be the aforementioned Apocalypse.

I do think we need to look at songs that *they* enjoy playing night after night....not simply our own personal wish lists. I don't know why they poo-pooed the idea of closing with the short version of The Knife, but they did...back in march 2020. Maybe they just don't enjoy it any more? Despite it being loved by most fans of 70s Genesis and a real rocker of a song that the fans of the hits can probably get behind too...and only being a few minutes if they don't. If Mike, Tony and Phil don't specifically enjoy it....they're not going to spend endless hours rehearsing and playing it.

What an odd, oddly hostile post.

I'm hoping the stateside leg goes smoothly. But I can't for a moment imagine what a logistical nightmare it must be to organize events of this scale in different territories with different local rules, fans crossing borders to attend, and worst of all, a dynamic situation where the rules are liable to change at short notice.

This is why Tony Smith is a rich man. It is indeed almost unimaginably difficult, even when there isn't a global plague. Different visa requirements, local union laws, differing regulations regarding safety and so on. All the regular headaches of scheduling travel, booking venues that everyone else is trying to book....Plus all these regulations and laws change over time. The tour manager and their people need to keep on top of all of this, and effectively take the worry away from the musicians.

Regarding "foreigners" travelling to the UK shows, it seems fully vaccinated people from any EU country are now welcome with a couple of PCR related caveats. There are other "green" and "amber" countries too where such travel is permitted. It is hardly the fault of Genesis or Ticketmaster if someone's country of origin has been lax with vaccine rollout, or their countrymen have been hesitant to take them.

Even stranger. The full list of what's in the vaccines is published for all to see. Yet people fold their arms and proclaim "I don't know what's in it! I won't take it! Look how pious and clever I am!".

Take a look at the list of the substances which make up an apple, even one which has not been subjected to pesticides. You'll probably have a heart attack if you look up the constituents of human blood. Just because you don't understand it and didn't pay attention in your biology class, doesn't mean it's dangerous.

At least government really seems to remove the last covidiotic rules soon so maybe a tour could be possible in the nearer future. And more artists like Eric could help going back to normal. Sadly, only few have the balls.

In what way is it idiotic to use well understood, proven methods of slowing the spread of a disease to which we have no natural immunity?

Bear in mind you're talking to a scientist here. Not Karen who "researched" things sitting on the toilet.

Further referring to Mr. Clapton. I have huge respect for his musical talents but some of the views he's expressed down the years are......not good.