Posts by absinthe_boy

There's another relatively recent interview with Nic. Not much new info but I will spoiler this just in case.

The one person that needs to be on a riser, Phil, isn't on one. Very difficult to see him at some venues when people are stood up on the floor. Jon Anderson uses one standing up.

Another recent (itchy bearded) Nic interview on YT discussing the gigs and preparation.

Perhaps he will be on a riser at some venues? I guess we all have to wait and see how they modify the show going forward.

When I bought WCD, all I had to go on was the track listing on the back until I got it home. It briefly crossed my mind that Jesus He Knows Me might be a religious song, but I already knew a fair bit about the guys and thought that was unlikely....so I settled on the likelihood of it being less than serious.

It's Genesis slightly off-colour humour at it's best. Harold The Barrell for the 90s. One of the better amusing songs in their canon and certainly one of the better videos.

Probably not on the set for the upcoming tour but to me it's one of the best light hearted songs they ever did.

I know quite a few musicians, from part timers who play small gigs to a couple of A-listers. In the last two weeks they've all started taking bookings for indoor and outdoor events beginning in July. Music venues of all sizes in England are gearing up in anticipation of reopening.

The caveat is that if opening stuff up over the summer causes serious increases in infection rates or deaths and hospitalisations, there will be rethinks on Autumn and winter events.

We're at a point where something like 60% of the UK will have immunity very soon due to vaccines and people recovered from infection. By September we will easily have hit that 75% needed for "herd immunity" though there remains concern over new variants (escaped mutants as the scientists actually call them!) and in all likelihood we won't be able to welcome many visitors from abroad. I don't know how many ticket holders are from outside the UK, I'd assume most are UK residents so the current concerts in the UK are fairly likely to go ahead.

talking more about it been a dig at religion of sorts

Love the song myself

It was made very clear at the time that the song was a dig at the corrupt TV evangelists that the band had seen on television in the states. As Phil stated some of them were genuine and some were crooks. Hence the extended spiel live, about God telling the televangelist he should raise millions of dollars so he could buy cars and gas for them. Hence line about his ever-loving wife beside him who "don't know about my girlfriend, or the man I met last night". It's a dig at corruption in some religious leaders and televangelists.

I could probably address your implication that religious people are more offended by indulgence in booze, foul language and women, who I'm sure would be thrilled to be lumped in this generalization, than those who are not religious, for the utter fallacy it is....Except, I don't want to and I don't think I should, it's neither here, nor there. I don't know whether Chester is religious or less, I don't know how deep his faith is, again, it's neither here, nor there. Phil, whom I trust nobody on this forum knows well or at all, had a rough period and less than stellar behaviors and suddenly we find out he always had a temper, we want to make sure he isn't a racist and that his behavior is kosher enough not to offend religious sensitivity, whatever that is. Yes, I do believe it's a stretch and we should perhaps not read too much into it. As for the guys not hanging around with Chester as much as they did with Daryl, couldn't it be just a matter of chemistry? Steve was in the band for 7 years and to this day, you can tell he didn't fit in as well as Phil. I don't see why that should be taken as a sign of imperfection on either side.

It is well documented that Chester became a born again Christian in 1980. Chester himself, and others who know him, have said that due to his religious convictions he does not enjoy the booze, substance use, horseplay and foul language that sometimes goes with the rock music scene.

THerefore is it a stretch to say that, after 30 years working together, when Phil was going through a tough time (unbeknown to Chester) and displaying behaviour that makes Chester uncomfortable.....that he felt....uncomfortable?

Really I can't put it more simply.

It is not a criticism of either man.

I don't know, personally I find that really, really, REALLY a stretch and as I said before, I find this debate is veering off course.

I don't see why it is a stretch when it is well documented that Chester became a "born again Christian" in 1980 and due to his beliefs he doesn't indulge in the booze, women or "foul language" that tend to pervade the music scene. What he seems to be saying in the Rolling Stone interview is that Phil's behaviour on that last tour they did was unusual, in part caused by Phil's abuse of alcohol around the time, and it made Chester feel uncomfortable.

There's nothing sinister there. I do feel sad that Chester probably played drums in more Genesis shows than any other drummer, and really hasn't always been recognised by the guys. They don't fool around and have fun with him like they do Daryl. But ultimately all it proves is that all of the guys are human, none is perfect.

I'd love to see professionally filmed rehearsals. I'd prefer to go to a concert of course.

Not sure about the prospects for 2021. They won't have much data on how long immunity lasts beyond 6 months at that point. When you consider the number of people attending a whole tour and the rules and circumstances in different jurisdictions it could become very complicated.

Here is a situation where lay-people have misunderstood headlines.

There is absolutely no reason to believe immunity won't last. The immune response to the novel coronavirus, as observed thus far, acts just like other coronaviruses about which we know including the SARS-1 from 17 years ago. Patients who gained immunity from that virus either by vaccine or surviving the virus still show great immunity 17 years on.

When a scientist examines samples from people who had covid 6 months ago and finds great immunity, as a scientist all they can say is "we can report immunity after six months".

There's a lot of misunderstanding about antibodies declining too. That's perfectly normal and to be expected. THe human immune response has (at least) two stages/lines of defence. In the months after an infection or vaccine, the body creates antibodies which swim around the body in the blood cells waiting for a new encounter with the virus. After some months the concentration of antibodies reduces and the T-cells retain something one might say is akin to a "memory" within the bone marrow...the body remembers how to make more antibodies should it need to months or years even decades later.

The scientists studying this virus and our immune response cannot say for sure "immunity will last for years" because the first cases were not much more than a year ago. 16 years ago they said the same about SARS-1.

No scientist worth his or her certificates is going to actually say that, because that's not how scientists communicate their findings. But a paper is published "SARS-COVID-2 immunity lasts at least six months" and some news outlets try to spread panic, spinning that to "Covid immunity may only last 6 months, top boffins say! Panic! Disaster! Buy more bog rolls!"

BTW...the above info was paraphrased from the chap who discovered the covid antibodies and from a good friend of mine involved in medical research over 25 years.

Count me as another eccentric. Except I am not sufficiently rich to be eccentric so I'm merely nuts. Men don't keep in touch with anyone outside immediate family? What planet are you from, and do you visit earth often? I put far more effort into maintaining friendships than I do with my family....who in most cases I tend to feel I'm stuck with. I put effort into maintaining friendships with people I hope to keep in my life. In some cases that has meant 45 year friendships in a life, thus far, of 48 years. And let me tell you, it's great for networking too.

Chester specifically said he found the last PC tour unpleasant because Phil was not his usual jolly self and was rude. Knowing Chester's deep religious beliefs it is not a stretch to say that he was probably more upset than some would have been. Especially after 30 years working well with Phil. Chester wasn't aware of Phil's personal problems or the extent of his drinking, so found it all rather confusing and difficult.

I doubt Phil is any more racist than the average person, and possibly less. I've heard he's prone to using the F-word a lot when he's drunk or just during bad periods of his life. Chester is very religions in the Christian sense and that probably doesn't sit well with him. But I get the impression after everything that if Phil called Chester and apologised, all would be OK.

What is interesting is how Chester was clearly never viewed as a member of Genesis by the other guys....which is part of the reason he wasn't asked to do studio work for CAS. In my view that's a big mistake artistically, the album would have been much better with a drummer involved in the writing process. But it also backs up Chester's feeling that he was always a bit of an outsider.

Poor guy drummed on tour for them for 15 years solid and came back for their big "comeback" tour, always put in excellent performances...and was perhaps never truly appreciated by the band members themselves.

Agree on Steve being a class act. He's the only Genesis (ex) member I've met so I cannot directly compare. To be fair they all come across as decent-ish people. But Steve is a lovely bloke and I'm not at all surprised that he and Ant Phillips have become best mates.

In a way it is a shame that Genesis is a band which doesn't do fluid set lists. There are all sorts of pros and cons, but if they are of the opinion that most fans are there for the familiar 80s and early 90s hits, with maybe 20-25 minutes of "old stuff"....rotating a few songs would be a workable way to get more older material done live one last time. Then the whole lot could be released on a live album/DVD/BD featuring everything. I don't have a ticket for a show but I wouldn't be disappointed missing FoF if I got Dance on a Volcano or the whole of Cinema Show instead...for example.

I once had this admittedly rather hair-brained idea that they could do a different side of The Lamb every night.

But that's not how Genesis have ever really done things. They might remove one song they feel isn't working after the initial UK/IRL concerts.

Thinking of medleys and how I generally don't like them, one exception is the "lamb stew" type. They could do a "Lamb casserole" stitching together some musical and lyrical highlights of The Lamb in a 15 minute chunk. Fly On A Windshield would sound awesome in an arena. Let of steam doing a bit of Evil Jam....bookended with the title track and Carpet Crawlers for familiarity. The other exception is Duke Ellington's famous medley which he performed in the 50s and 60s.

BTW I do agree with the band's assessment that much of the audience expects to hear the hits. Despite personally knowing what it feels like to be surrounded by 60,000 people chanting "me, I'm just a lawnmower" I think that for every fan such as myself who might wet themselves with joy if they launched into Hogweed or Stagnation, there'd be three others who would zone out. The Musical Box can fill the Royal Albert Hall for one night...Steve Hackett can do theatre tours based on old Genesis material and the better tribute bands can fill places like Shepherds Bush Empire for a couple of nights but not large arenas day after day.

Regarding PG calling....it's certainly interesting.

Obviously there's a part of me that hopes Peter was phoning to ask "Have you figured out the optimum lighting colour temperature for my flower mask?" but there any number of reasons why he might call. Perhaps Peter was merely doing the band the courtesy of asking how their rehearsals were going? Peter and Patrick worked together in the past on Peter's arena tours, so perhaps they're looking at lighting for a future Peter Gabriel venture?