Posts by absinthe_boy

there was a bit more info in the Prog article

Up to March I was still occasionally recording bootlegs at my local music club...both digitally and on cassette....though not trading them any more.

I don't think I've traded a Genesis bootleg cassette since the late 90s. I didn't even bother with the Hogweed CDs. I do recall being quite amused to see a cassette I compiled myself in the early 90s containing about 40 minutes of rarely heard Genesis live tracks (eg The Light) pop up on a torrent site a few years ago.

i still listen to my bootleg cassettes though. And LPs.

While I'd love them to have a "spot" each night where they pull something unusual out of the bag, that just isn't their MO. Fluid setlists aren't Genesis' bag. In the days of worldwide tours that ran for many months they might swap one song out after touring one continent but they've never been the kind of band that slips in something different every night.

I once had an idea that they could do a 2 hour set followed by one side of The Lamb...rotating which side it was every night...but it's not only a lot of music to rehearse it's just not their style.

One can fantasise though.....even if we keep it to shorter songs....Time Table one night, On The Shoreline the next, an abbreviated Knife....even For Absent Friends...The Brazilian....lots of quite interesting stuff there.

But I think ultimately, the guys have spoken....the familiar hits that the majority of the audience expect will be there. They said that in their Radio 2 spot. At this point it isn't a Genesis concert without Invisible Touch any more than Yes could get away without doing Roundabout. The more tantalising thing is Tony and Mike alluding to Nic's drumming feeling like Phil's did in the early days which has lead them to rehearse some material that hasn't been heard in a *long* time. I'm quite confident that at least one song they haven't done since the 70s will emerge.

New here but been a Genesis fan since 1980...following this thread with interest.

The guys themselves have mentioned that there are certain songs that are expected....I would guess that means Invisible Touch, Mama (if Phil can handle the vocals), I Can't Dance etc. I am assuming Domino/Last Domino will be in the list due to the name of the tour.

But interestingly they've also mentioned Nic Collins enjoying some of the earlier songs that the rest of the band haven't played in decades...Tony Banks has specifically said that Nic's drumming being like Phil's was in "the early days" means they're looking at playing such material on tour.

Nic is known to be a fan of Cinema Show and Watcher. I'm wondering if they'll open with an instrumental only version of Watcher.

Additionally those interviews they all gave in 2007/8 for the remix/remasters clearly gave them the opportunity to listen to albums they hadn't listened to in a long time....reminded them of songs they'd long forgotten. I do suspect there will be one or two genuine surprises assuming this tour can take place.