Posts by Mozo

Really, 38 years ago today! You have summed it up for me exactly including the Kate Bush thing. You were at both too then.

I went with friends from Cheltenham in a little red metro type car. I hadn't got to know them all that long. And lost contact fairly quick as I was had moved to Coventry . No social media . Can't even remember their names. Would love to contact them again but not much chance. I remember someone I was with throwing an apple core at Talk Talk and hitting the drum. Not that I approve but it seemed to cheer a lot of people up. I also remember near the end my mate saying " all we need now is Steve Hackett" and then as if by magic he appeared. " A great show full of mistakes but that seemed make it better for some reason. It was very warm feeling in very cold weather! Might have been better without the support bands because quite frankly no one was interested.

It's nice to talk to someone who was at both - the atmosphere at KB was amazing, wasn't it.

Not sure what Talk Talk had done to deserve getting bottled off - they weren't too pleased =O^^

I don't always like it when people say "you had to be there", but, you know, you had to be there....

Not trying to be clever. It's just difficult to communicate how electric the atmosphere was - people were losing their minds en masse.

After a very long day of being very wet (I've never been wetter) the anticipation was growing and growing, and obviously nobody knew whether it would live up to the expectation.

Peter was carried onstage in a coffin - when he emerged, and launched into Back in NYC, the whole stadium went BESERK!!!

Despite the mistakes, the weather, the cold, it absolutely lived up to the expectation. And when Steve appeared for the encore, people lost their minds all over again!

For some reason, the reunion doesn't seem to get discussed as much as I would expect, given how huge it was. I know it had only been a few years since Peter had left the band, but in 1982 it seemed like it had been a lifetime!

While this doesn't exactly qualify as news, today is the anniversary of the reunion at Milton Keynes in 1982.

It was 12 hours of bus rides, queuing, rain, waiting, rain, standing, rain, neverending support bands, drizzle, waiting, more rain and then finally a magical 2 hours that I will never forget.

The atmosphere when the band hit the stage, and then for the whole show, and something else. For me, it was only matched by the atmosphere at the Kate Bush show a few years ago.

To this day I have to pinch myself when I think I did see (almost) the classic lineup playing Back in NYC, FOF, Musical Box, Supper's Ready etc etc.

Anyone else with memories of a great occasion?

Your second point is also true - as PC said at the launch event for the 2007 tour, "We're not doing it for the money. None of us are worrying about where the next million or two are coming from."

I

Slightly off topic I know, but isn't it funny that so many of these tours which aren't "for the money" have such staggering tickets prices.

They might not need the money, and they might not be doing it for the money, but the ticket prices on the latest tour are staggering so SOMEBODY has said "we can charge an absolute fortune for these".

I haven't heard the band say this on this occasion, but the common excuse is "we don't have anything to do with ticket prices", which is a lame excuse IMO

I feel feel a bit cheated here, as I bought The Lamb and Abacab on the same day in December 1981 ( and I can;t select that). This was preparation for the first time I saw them at the NEC that month.

Looking back, Abacab and The Lamb is a bizarre first album combination!

I had heard the The Lamb already as someone had done a tape for me, but imagine trying to make sense of the Lamb on cassette, with absolutely no context or help.

brilliant. It’s so obvious now you’ve pointed it out! Thank you.

in other news, Blood on the Rooftops eh? What a track. Tony’s keyboards give me goosebumps every time.

I reckon about 06.30, very briefly, a tweaked version of part of the keyboard line immediately after each "chorus". I think it's shortly after the DWTMK snippet. Check it out and if I'm right, post away!

I'm really sorry, but I still can't hear it! Its so frustrating, I'm sure I will kick myself when I realise where it is!

I get that, although it was the first new album they released after I became a fan a year or so before and that hasn't ever engendered any affection for it. (W&W wasn't new but was the most recent album when I became a fan, and it too hasn't worn well in my affections). Maybe in that sense it mirrors your experience in that Duke was their first new release for you and it was disappointing.

Funny you should say that. The first album I bought as a full on fan was GENESIS. For me this album is tied with FGTR as their worst ever album. So I think we can see a theme developing...

This probably fits better into a "things you still don't notice after all these years" thread, but where exactly is the reference to Blood on the Rooftops on the Seconds Out version of IKWIL?

Once I know I can legitimately post it in this thread!

The first single I ever owned was Blockbuster by The Sweet when I was 7 or 8. I don't suppose I actually went out to buy it myself, but it my single.

All my mates were big Bolan fans, but I always liked the Sweet better, and still do.

The very first PROPER pop album I bought was Abba Arrival. Again, Arrival is an album I still play and love to this day, even though I had a good 20 year break from Abba from the late 70s, when I started obsessing over Genesis!

Blockbuster and Arrival. All in All I don't think that's bad.

If I remember rightly, when I saw Phil at the Manchester Apollo on that tour the album wasn't even out.

Even months later it seemed inconceivable to have seen Phil in such a small venue.

At the show, I remember being particularly impressed with Inside Out and OYKAIK, which was more powerful live I think.

Tonight, Tonight, Tonight was my favorite of Genesis and my favorite of this album. Incredible sound, incredible chorus and incredible instrumental sound during the middle of the song. A masterpiece.

I remember listening to the album for the very first time and TTT, and Domino stood out straightaway.

IT is not even in my top 10 Genesis albums, but at the time I remember being relieved, as I thought it was big improvement on the previous album, which was only half and album in my opinion.

Stagnation, Knife, Looking for Someone.

I prefer this album to Nursery Cryme. NC may be closer to the classic Genesis sound/lineup, but I think Trespass is underrated.

My least favourite is probably White Mountain, which is a bit corny, but it's still a good track. Considering how young he was Peter found his voice really early on.

I actually heard Seconds Out before this so when the instrumental break at the end of Stagnation came on there was such a thrill of recognition, obviously from the live version IKWIL. Embarrassingly I didn't spot the lift from Visions of Angels on IKWIL until years later, when someone pointed it out on the old Paperlate mailing list. No idea how I could have missed it!

I've said elsewhere I find NC somewhat cold, which is probably why I like this one better.