Posts by Mozo

I agree with a lot of this actually :D

I was a casual fan of 16 when Abacab came out, but saw that tour at the NEC. And by the time Genesis came out, I had every album and was a full on obsessive.

I really tried to like the album when it came out. I saw the tour of course, which was great.

For me, if we ignore FGTR, it is comfortably their weakest album. For me it has 3 excellent tracks, and I'm sure you can guess which I'm referring to.

The rest, I never have any desire to listen to, which is pretty unprecedented for any other Genesis album.

Side 2 is so underdeveloped I do wonder what they were thinking at the time. I think I'm right in saying there wasn't a lot (if any) of unused material which went onto B-sides etc, which makes total sense.

It seems to support the idea they were either feeling uninspired, lazy, complacent, I don't know. It's like they totally abandoned the concept of quality control.

I appreciate that for a lot of people this was their gateway into the band, and that's great. But it does absolutely nothing for me, other than Mama, HBTS/SHBTS.

I was so relieved when IT came out, as I felt it was a much better album, and still do.

I'm really glad they didn't go with it, I think it's a vaguely unpleasant image. Not terrible, but I much prefer the eventual cover.

And "The Duke"? Sounds like an album about a local pub...

Interesting interview with Tony here on the Prog Cast:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Ooh, thank you for this. I wasn't aware of this podcast. I've just checked it out and there's loads of good stuff on there, including tons of XTC content.

I don't suppose "Harlequin Harlequin" is exactly a typical hook either, so I think that one counts.

For some reason I have a fondness for titles which are exactly as you described. Not the obvious hook, but just a passing word or phrase from the song.

I think "Anyway" is a great example. For me, as it's the title, when the word appears in the lyrics it has extra emphasis.

Agree with the above - MOOT and Undertow aren't among my favourites though I like them a lot and would've been very interested to hear them played by Genesis on stage. The other two absolutely are top 10 ones for me.

Non-album tracks were extremely rare on stage but You Might Recall, Naminanu, Submarine and Neurotic would be on my wish list.

Oh yes, forgot You Might Recall, one of my favourites from that era.

BOTR is absolutely in this discussion. I don't know whether I'm imagining this, but it feels like it has grown in popularity as the years have gone by. It seems to be regarded as a classic now (quite rightly!). In fact, BOTR would be top of my list.

I don't think Mad Man Moon was ever played was it? Shame, as nearly everything else on TOTT was.

I reckon Please Don't Ask could have sounded great too. I've grown to love that song.

And yes, MTM, of course.

Finally, I wasn't there but while we can discuss our favourites and their merits for inclusion, I think it's unforgivable (and inexplicable) that they didn't play Ripples.

To be fair, this isn't a thread about our favourites or merits for inclusion. There's a gazillion of those already.

This is "what did you enjoy the most".

Mama has always been a track I've loved since it was released, but I never thought was as good live, for some reason.

But I really enjoyed it this time around, so I voted for it.

IKWIL because it's, well, IKWIL.

But for me, the obvious high point was Duchess. Seeing it again, after seeing it in 1981, was amazing, and I'm so glad I had avoided any spoilers.

I had been talking to a hardcore fan behind me before the gig. When Duchess started I turned around, and we just smiled at each other, because we both were thinking the same thing. A lovely moment for me.

I bought the vinyl in about 83, and I'm listening to the CD version these days, so I've probably only ever heard the 78 mix.

You sound like a big Moodies fan. Are you aware that Justin was on the latest episode of the Rockonteurs?

I guess this all comes down to personal taste but I'm one of the very few who prefers his first two solo albums, especially the 2nd. He was really into Springsteen at that time is it's not too surprising that this influence bleeds through a bit, not to mention Roy Bitan being on the 2nd album. I also love Humdrum quite a bit off of the first one in addition to the other favorites mentioned. I never could get into his "world music" direction even though this was probably the pinnacle of his commercial success.

I'm with you. As undoubtedly impressive 3, 4 and So are, I don't listen to them as much as 1 or 2.

It's not too dissimilar to my love for Kate Bush. Again, as impressive as Hounds of Love is, I listen to the early albums more.

Funnily enough, my favourite PG album is Us, but that's partly because it has very significant emotional significance for me.

MoTd is quite often played by Ken Bruce or Jeremy Vine...reckon their producer must like it!

I find this bizarre and hilarious at the same time! Of ALL the tracks to play...!

Don't get me wrong, I like it. But I assumed it hadn't been played on radio since 1977.

Haven't got round to listening to any of them yet, (not big on podcasts TBH) but am intending to get round to listening to Steven Wilson and Tim Bowness's "Album Years", The Album Years • A podcast on Anchor

Good choice. I've listened to all of these. There's nothing groundbreaking on it, it's just 2 music nerds, nerding on about classic albums. Right up my street.

And I would say it helps to dispel the minor myth that Steven Wilson is a bit humourless.