Posts by Mozo

Even though I saw it live, the TIOA "medley" from the MAMA tour has to be a contender.

I can't remember the exact songs in it but I know Karma Chameleon was in there somewhere. And from what I remember, that didn't go down particularly well.

I appear to be a lone voice with one, but I have always found the love for this song baffling.

To me its shouty Phil at his shoutiest, the keyboard sounds at their worst, and the band generally at their most 80s, and not in a good way.

To be fair, I like the last third a bit more, when Phil has calmed it down a bit.

For me it's one of their worst songs of the 80s, slightly higher than I'd Rather Be You.

I appreciate YOSW isn't massively popular with fans. I mean, I like it, but that's almost irrelevant I think.

Whether IAO is a better song isn't the issue for me. I just don't think it fits on the album. For me the nature of the lyrics just don't fit the atmosphere of the album.

I like the song a lot, but I think it would stick out like a sore thumb.

I bought this when it came out, and I was a bit disappointed with it. I didn't think it contained as much "Genesis-ness" (Genesisosity?) as Curious Feeling.

Some time ago I realised that I actually like it a lot and it is comfortably my favourite TB solo work. And conversely I don't think ACF has aged well at all.

It's got that 80s immediacy which isn't there for ACF. I suppose his voice takes a bit of getting used to, but I think it really suits the songs.

I think my favourite tracks are By You, This is Love, and the At The Edge of Night.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Yes, I can imagine it's disappointing not having the slides, as they're an integral part of the experience.

All in all though, I would urge you not to write them off just yet. Apparently they're doing the Selling England tour next year...

I'm only saying this because I've seen them about 8 times and they've all been great.

EDIT Just reread your previous post, so I now know you've seen them before. So fair enough.

I've listened to quite a few of the 80sography episodes, and there's some pretty good stuff on there.

It does focus on the 80s (obviously) but he gets some pretty good guests, and asks thoughtful questions.

I particularly enjoyed the episodes with Hugh Padgham

I’ve always thought the sound of SO was disappointing, too polished, and frankly a bit bland. But the half speed vinyl version is much better to my ears, beefier and a bit more focus

on guitar. The Lamb sounds better but still lacks the bite of the studio version. I’ll have a listen to those other versions.

Personally I think the sound works for some tracks (CS, DOAV, SR etc) and not for others (Lamb, Squonk, Afterglow).

But then with those latter songs, I always preferred the studio versions anyway. I think those 3 songs are examples of tracks which had a magic element to them on the album, which they didn't manage or choose to recreate live.

So my gripe is probably more about the live feel, than the SO production itself

Yes! The bass is amazing on this track.

It's in my top 10 Genesis tracks, which is high praise indeed. 15/15.

There's so much to say about this track I dont know where to start. But I think the one thing that leaps out is the POWER of this track. You can tell from track 1, this isn't the Genesis of SEBTP. The track immediately taps into the power and other-worldliness of the album. And it's not the weirdness of Unifauns and Chocolate Surprise.

Plus, I've just come back from a brilliant week in NYC, so this is good timing!

Wow, thanks for the update. This one passed me by.

Any new AP content is good, but this could be HUGE. Let's hope he feels like doing a whole album.

Taylor Swift stole my idea! She has a "surprise section" bit in her show apparently where she plays songs she hasn't played before, and doesn't repeat songs that she's played in that section before.

Genesis could have gotten there first if only they'd listened 😆.

Quite. From a fan's perspective, this is brilliant stuff.

However she seems a lot fonder of her whole catalogue, in contrast to some chaps we could mention.

Instant 15. No brainer.

One of their greatest ever tracks, and second greatest opening track after Watcher.

I never saw them play it in full but they played a section of it as the intro to the old medley on the Mama tour, and I can still remember the crowd reaction.

It's got everything, it would be quicker to list its faults, which are...well I don't know, I haven't found any yet. It's a shame it didn't get played for all that long

I suppose if I had to choose a favourite aspect I would say the intro. Exciting, anticipatory, glorious, powerful. Not to mention the beautiful quiet section in the middle.

Sets up the album beautifully too.

In short, I'm a fan.

Hhhm. I've never understood the love for this track. It's always felt like filler to me.

I'm not one to skip tracks while listening to an album, but I can make an exception for this.

All in all I like IT, and LOVED it when it came out, I had been so disappointed by the GENESIS album. So it's not that I hate the whole 80s sound. Just this tracks leaves me cold.

I seem to be in a minority though!