Posts by Mozo

Hmm. Comfortably my least favourite track on the album. In fact probably one of my least favourite PG era songs, full stop.

I appreciate it's very popular, and I can't quite put my finger on why it doesn't resonate with me. I think it's probably the actual "Get em out by Friday" sections.

I've heard it said that this was much better when heard live, but I wasn't around for that.

I'll take Timetable over this any day of the week, including friday.

12 for me - I'm always glad to hear it. When it came out I was in 6th form and some of my mates took the mickey because they were accusing Genesis of becoming a soul band.

I find it a bit flimsy in terms of emotional impact, although I love the energy of it.

For me, it pales into insignificance against the magnificent You Might Recall.

Not sure if I've heard that.

I'd be interested to see Amy Shafer give this treatment to any of Watcher, Moonlit Knight, Ordeal, Carpet Crawlers, Lamia, Entangled, Ripples, Blood, Inside & Out, Down & Out, Duchess, M&SJ, Gonna Get Better, Throwing, Fading.

It was on his Seconds Out last year (or year before). It was his funky reworking of IKWIL.

I get his point, it's not like IKWIL has been road tested much.

Not only does his solo over-extend the segment and therefore dilute the impact of the ending, it's doing it by means of a solo that goes against everything that has made him such a singularly good guitarist.

In a nutshell. Maybe he thinks he has to show off for the live audience a bit, but I can't imagine many of Steve's long term fans are impressed by some shredding tacked onto (what should be) the emotional climax of SR.

I was horrified. Almost as horrified as the funky version of IKWIL! ^^

the ridiculous protracted noodling he now does at the end of Supper's Ready is the antithesis of what once distinguished him from other rock guitarists).

I couldn't possibly agree more. He used to be (maybe still is) the ultimate proof that great guitar isn't about notes per minute. And nowhere better than FOF of course, my favourite guitar solo, by anyone, ever.

For reasons I can't explain I got slightly choked up watching that video, especially for Steve's solo. I have heard FOF countless times of course. But watching someone ELSE see it for the first time, and enjoy it, made it hit home even more on this occasion.

This doesn't connect with me, but I've never really connected with any of Steve's solo stuff, other than bits of SM and Voyage.

Technically very impressive I'm sure, but totally lacking in heart in my opinion.

As a general point, I don't really rate any of Steve or Mike's solo work. And very little of Tony's (I like the Fugitive and that's it).

And yet put them together and they made something sublime.

The very first time I heard Foxtrot was a cassette someone had done for me in 1980.

It felt at the time that Horizons was the fairly peaceful introduction to the mayhem that was about to ensue.

I don't know if that was the intention. But to this day it still feels like the introduction to me.

Even though it is peaceful, it has a slightly spooky atmosphere to it - especially where he plays the guitar harmonics (the very beginning and again later).

Maybe it's just me.

Wait, he has never heard The Knife but he has a Spot The Pigeon poster ?

That's funny.

Of course everyone has some albums and songs, considered as "classic ones" that we have not heard yet (personally I know Yes, and their Tormato and 90125 albums, and a few other well-known songs, but I know I still have to listen to Tales From Topographic Ocean, Close To The Edge, etc, because I don't know them. Same for the Beatles or the Stones, I still don't know all of their songs.)

Yeah, I was wondering about that....^^. He also has PG3 poster, so it's not like he doesn't know who he is.

Ok this is less of a "I don't like it" and more of a "I don't really understand the fuss" song. I suppose I could start a whole "I don't really understand the fuss" thread, but I thought I'd stick it here instead :)

In the Cage. There I've said it.

I'm well aware of its place in Genesis live mythology. And I like it well enough, especially the keyboard solo and the "outside the cage" section.

But I reckon it's my 5th favourite track on side 1 of The Lamb! I prefer it to Grand Parade, but that's it.

I know it turned into a bit of a live epic, but even then I always enjoyed the Cinema Show section more.

So there. Cancel my Genesis fan membership if you like ^^

Thanks for that, I like these things.

I think we take a lot for granted, certainly I do. Peter was 20 when this came out, and I presume the others were a very similar age.

How on earth did they get so good so fast? I'm sure they practiced and all that, but this is ridiculous. Plus the writing of course...

I love this album, I actually prefer it to NC. I know it's not technically their first album, but that's how I think of it. And to arrive with this, and songs like the Knife, still blows my mind.

A lovely song. A great example of Tony's keyboard sound of that era, and his trademark chords.

It makes me think of what he was trying to achieve with A Curious Feeling, but didn't quite manage, in my opinion.

Also fits in beautifully on the album at the end of side 1

13 for me

I can't believe XTC haven't had the treatment yet. Much of what XTC did is reasonably unknown unfortunately.

To be honest, 12 random XTC tracks would do a good job, but here's my take.

Harvest Festival (Apple Venus)

Seagulls Screaming Kiss Her Kiss her (Big Express)

No Language in our Lungs (Black Sea)

Roads Girdle the Globe (Drums and Wires)

Pale and Precious (Dukes of Stratosphear)

Melt the Guns (English Settlement)

Ladybird (Mummer)

Bungalow (Nonsuch)

Chalkhills and Children (Oranges and Lemons)

Another Satellite (Skylarking)

This is Pop

Playground (Wasp Star)

I Wonder Why The Wonderfalls (Theme Tune to TV series Wonderfalls, Andy Partridge)

The last one is a cheat because it's a solo Andy Partridge song, which was the theme to the excellent, and short lived tv series Wonderfalls.

If anyone wants any XTC pointers, just let me know. They are a national treasure, and Andy Partridge is up there with the greatest songwriters of all time, in my opinion