Posts by MoonlitKnight

Just a heads up that the tribute band “Abacab” will be playing at The Milton Theater in Milton, Delaware on May 30th. This will be my first time seeing them live but their uploads on YouTube are very impressive. One upload is an entire Seconds Out concert. In another their setlist spans both the Peter and Phil eras as well solo works by PG and PC. They also have a separate clip of them performing Abacab featuring top flight guitar work at the end. Looking forward to the show!

A superb track list, though I do wish more live performances of songs from the W&W album had been included. My main issue with this album is Dave Henschel’s production. It feels like he sucked a lot of the edginess out of the live performances. The background babbling before the beginning of Squonk is bizarre, and it would help the live feel of the performances if the cuts that begin some of the other sides (i.e. Firth of Fifth and Cinema Show) have audience noise (as in cheering!) before the music begins.

It has some very good tracks that I genuinely enjoy, including all of Side One and It’s Gonna Get Better as the album closer. Overall, however, it feels to me like an album that was driven in part by a desire to continue to build the band’s popular momentum after the success of Phil’s solo albums. To me the fact that it is the only Genesis album that produced no b-sides is telling. It seems like the band did just enough to be able to release an album.

“Safety in Numbers,” by Crack the Sky. They were Baltimore’s proggy champs back in the late 70s-early 80s.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

My favorite album by Tony. My favorite tracks include This Is Love, And the Wheels Keep Turning, and Charm. I also quite like TB’s voice. To me it’s got a sort of Al Stewart vibe to it. To my American ear it’s a very “British” style of singing. From what I’ve read Phil suggested that Tony sing the lead on Silver Rainbow, but Tony declined. Given the sound of Tony’s voice on The Fugitive I think singing lead on Silver Rainbow would have worked well.

I've been listening to my Van Morrison albums in the car. He just is not a 'car' artist. Some of the later albums with tracks that go on forever with his self-indulgent vocalising have not aged well. He is best when he keeps it simple (which tells you that yes, I prefer Moondance to Astral Weeks). His recent anti vaxxer political stance has not helped my opinion of him.

I have the live version of “Caravan” from The Last Waltz on the playlist I listen to while mowing the lawn. It’s freakin’ awesome. And for some reason it just occurred to me I probably should have “I Know What I Like” on that playlist too. I guess it’s so on the nose I forgot about it lol.

And as I think you and I said before, there's that ludicrous opening sound of people chatting - terrible start to a live album. Did the crowd have to duplicate that on the Hackett SO tour?!

What do we think of the Archive 1 Lamb show version? Obviously there's the vocal overdub to bear in mind. It bothers me a little that the 'lamb' of "And the lamb...." lead line is so much shorter than on the album. Anyone know of any other good recordings of it from the Lamb tour?

I wonder what folks think of the rearranged version they played on the 1982 tour as an encore that transitioned directly into Watcher of the Skies? Personally I liked it, but I know the rearranged jazz-rock intro and outro to The Lamb may be off-putting to some.

I think the Seconds Out version suffers from DH's propensity as a producer to take all the sharp edges off. The whole album (Seconds Out) sounds to me like it was recorded in a giant empty room, rather than a full arena.

I've seen their SEBTP and Black Shows a few times before! I'd been hoping they'd eventually do another "Lamb" show... so glad I was able to see it!

Hopefully they aren't really fully retiring The Lamb tour. It's a fantastic show and keeps a good variety going in terms of their rotation of tours. Take the Lamb out of the touring mix and they're basically reduced to SEBTP and Foxtrot, along with the occasional Extravaganza tour. Actually the first time I saw them they were doing the Nursery Cryme Tour at Upper Darby. They were excellent but the show was very short (a little under 90 minutes). I probably would not pay to see that show again.

I love this song. Along with Dodo it was my favorite on Abacab. As others have pointed out, it is absolutely amazing how many different feels and grooves Tony packed into a 6 minute song. I remember the first time I listened to the album and heard Me and Sarah Jane thinking "This is like nothing I've ever heard before." Up until that point the only other Genesis album I owned was ATTWT, which quite honestly I was not terribly fond of. Me and Sarah Jane and Dodo inspired me to dive deeper into the Genesis catalog. 10 months later I was singling along to Supper's Ready at the Merriweather Post show on the Encore Tour.