Posts by MoonlitKnight

We can all argue until we're blue in the face with respect to what they could have played. The reality is that they were dealing with a major limiting factor (Phil) so they picked the songs (even ratcheted down 1-2 steps) that Phil could somewhat handle. That has to have been the main factor that determined the content of the setlist. Plus, this is the "trio" version of the band so I would have been a little shocked to hear Harold the Barrel lol. That being said, minor tweaks could have been made the setlist a bit more rounded in terms of their history (this is the last hurrah after all). Yes, I think it's a shame that none of Supper's Ready was included - that is their calling card. Could they have done the instrumental section (only) from the end of Willow Farm to the beginning of As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs? Yes, probably, though Phil would have been twiddling his thumbs for 10+ minutes. One thing I really wish they would have done is the intro/outro of Watcher of the Skies as they did in '76 (never liked the '82 version as it's in "E" - way too low compared to the original F# key) as an opener, as opposed to the omnipresent Behind the Lines. Also, 1 song from Trick. Again, it is what it is but I think they could have done a tiny little bit better, even acknowledging the tight parameters within which they were operating.

Isn’t debating “until we are blue in the face” about such things one of the most enjoyable aspects on this board?

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Agree with Mark. I can still listen to it 45 years later and hear subtleties that I missed. I've played that entire album live and it is a beast (I've dissected every 4/8-string bass parts, 12-string parts and Taurus parts). It is so incredibly dense and emotional.... It was tough for them to play live (I saw the '77 tour) for a number of reasons including the lack of an acoustic piano, the huge number of overdubs (OFTV in particular), etc. But I remember listening to that record and thinking that it stacked up favorably against any Gabriel-era album.

If not for “Your Own Special Way” it would rank right up there with SEBTP and ATOTT for me. It’s easy to see why Tony loves it so much (though it is interesting to me that Mike ranks it below ATOTT).

For my money, the only song from IT that doesn't suffer from key changes is Land of Con

I'm not surprised. I recall having a recording from radio of them doing those sections after In the Cage on the IT tour and Phil struggled with the vocals (in 9/8 as I recall), which I suspect is why when I saw them we got In that Cage->Quiet Earth ->Afterglow.

I'm not sure how far they'd have to drop the key, but it'd be significant.

Phil definitely struggled during the IT Tour with A in 9/8 (at least after the first few shows). There’s a short clip on YouTube of rehearsals for the IT Tour. After Supper’s Ready Phil tells the rest of the band “It’s a bit tougher without any balls.” He knew even at that point it was going to be a struggle for him night after night. Having said that it would have been great if they could have played A in 9/8 on this tour sans vocals. As weird as that may sound there is another clip on YouTube from 1977 of that section without any vocals (the assumption is it was a rehearsal) and it sounded very powerful. They could have played that and then dropped down a bit so Phil could sing the last few majestic minutes of SR, with the help of the back-up singers. Nic did mention in an interview prior to the tour that there were some challenges with playing some of the early stuff they rehearsed before the current tour (if my memory is correct he mentioned SR and Watcher).

Yes as I said earlier, in every live version they replaced it with a guitar slide so it likely is a Steve with some guitar effect. Hmm, the marching sound in Epping Forest is a guitar too? Weird, I wonder how Steve did this.

If you listen to some of the better shows from the 1977 tour during the A in 9/8 section of Supper’s Ready Hackett is able to make this marching feet/army sound. It’s mind-blowing.

Thoughts now having seen them at last.

The setlist is pretty well rounded. Fading Lights was probably the one where people went to the toilet/bar the most. And the final stretch of IT/ICD/CC is bit flat. Most people around me didn't know CC. In the US, if they added Abacab on after CC it would have been amazing.

I guess we were singing along to Carpet Crawlers with such a loud voice (as were a few people around us) that we were unaware of the reaction from the rest of the audience. My view is that the pop mid 80s-to-early 90s era crowd got a nice run of songs toward the end of the set of songs from IT and WCD. It’s nice that the band acknowledged those of us who appreciate the early material. I cried during the entire length of DWTMK/CC at the show we attended. I doubt the IT/WCD folks were brought to tears by ICD

It seems like there’s a trend developing with these reviews by journalists and reports by members of this board: empty seats. The arena was packed when I saw them in DC nearly a month ago. Is the problem now caused by over-saturation in certain markets, the latest Covid spike, or a combination thereof? It blows my mind that people are able to buy tickets resale for $10.

Agree completely Simon about your comment regarding Phil's voice. I know there's a lot of love for the '80s stuff on this board but to me, Phil's voice was at its best between 1976-78. I really started to dislike his voice with Duke when it turned to this screechy, screaming howl all the time, including in songs like Afterglow (live 1980-post). That "pure" voice he had on Trick & Wind is hard to beat in my book. As far as It's Yourself goes, that trippy part sure reminds me of the end of Dancing Out from SEBTP. I think the working title of the latter was "Disney" which seems fitting here too. In fact, that song (and others on ATOTT) seem like a much more natural progression from SEBTP rather than LLDOB which was a real departure for them (stating the obvious I know). I love the instrumental section of Robbery (I played that beast numerous times live on bass and it is a bitch) but the verses and chorus are "underwhelming". I wonder what the album might have sounded with It's Yourself instead (probably too slow, hence the decision to include an up tempo song like RAB). Take care, Andre.

I love the song but must admit I’m one of those who particularly enjoyed Phil’s voice in the early 80s. I appreciated those rough edges to his voice. To me the acid test has always been the last half of Supper’s Ready. In 1976 Phil’s voice was fairly weak during the 666 section; in 1977 it got better (depending upon the night); in 1982 almost every night he was spot on with that section; by 1986 he struggled, especially after the first few shows of the IT Tour (thus the change to Afterglow). Just my opinion :)

Let me preface my comments by saying that I have the ultimate respect for what The Musical Box does. There is no band like them, period. I actually view them more as a Broadway show (think Beatlemania) as opposed to a "tribute" band since they literally, down the nth degree, recreate certain Genesis tour shows (with the exception of the Extravaganza). However, after watching videos of this latest show, I'm beginning to wonder whether they're sort of reached their end? It's one thing to do a Lamb show, for example, when you're 30 years old. In that instance, you're actually fairly close to how old Genesis actually were at the time (they were 24-25 years old). However, TMB members must now be 50+, I would think, given that they started nearly 30 years ago. It looks a little strange, now, to see a heavier, older (50 year old) man traipsing around in a leather jacket on stage. We're all older (I'm almost 10 years older than them) so this isn't aimed at them from that perspective. I'm just wondering whether paying tribute to the music, without trying to recreate the world of a 23-25 year old, might not be better suited to their current reality? Another option, which would definitely be worth pursuing, is to get younger musicians to keep doing these faithful recreations. That certainly would fit with the spirit of Beatlemania which had several touring band members. Just some random thoughts.

No doubt physically the changes are becoming more obvious, though it appeared to me that maybe the lead singer had lost some weight since the previous time I saw them. Still, the Keswick was rocking at the show we attended Thanksgiving weekend. The audience was totally into it, including shouts of “We love you!” directed at the band between songs. And they are still consummate musicians. To be honest I’ve seen them so many times that I was thinking this last show might be my last one. Now I’m definitely all in on seeing them do The Lamb tour next year.

No problem delving back into the thread, no need to apologise. At first I wondered if the warm textures at either end of Duchess were mellotron but I now don't think they are and believe the mellotron's final appearance in a new album was indeed ATTWT.

Yes, from what I’ve read the last use of the mellotron on an album was Many Too Many on ATTWT.

I'm sorry Genesis78 but this made me laugh. For anyone who's seen Genesis in the 1970s, you know that the entire arena was engulfed in pot. It's funny to see how things have changed with shows more generally since then. Now, you actually notice it because it's so rare. Back then, you either partook (cough, cough) or you needed a bloody oxygen mask lol.

I thought precisely the same thing. It was that way up to the early 80s at Genesis concerts. What a drag it is getting old :)

Sorry for not responding sooner. All you need is a torrent app like Torrex Pro or Vuze. I use both but prefer the former. Download the app, then (once you are a member of the site) you download the torrent link. App should automatically open and pick up the link. It will ask you where you want to save it to and the download process starts. Just remember that you are seeding/sharing as well, so leave the app open after you have downloaded as this will help others too.

Thanks!

O was speaking to someone in ticketing recently, and they mentioned that empty seats recently fan be chalked up to vaccine/ illness issues. They are getting calls about refunds because of vaccine requirements plus people looking for refunds when people are not feeling welland awaiting covid tests.

a you went brand new arena, that I guess was supposed to be awesome with acoustics. How did it sound.

I dunno. If this was about Covid and vaccines why wouldn’t a substantial number of empty seats be a common sight at all the shows on the tour? Given the fact they canceled the show in Brooklyn I suspect this is more about scheduling too many gigs in the NYC area.