Posts by MoonlitKnight

Apparently so. I think we picked up on the disengaged audience members here! (see the posts that follow)

There ya go. Why they would think inserting scenes of bored audience members is a good thing (whether from a Yes concert or even worse a Genesis concert) is beyond my feeble mind's ability to comprehend.

Oh, nothing can beat the scenes added to the TOTT film 76...still cringe when i watch it and wonder what were they thinking at the time

I read somewhere that the audience scenes while Phil is belting out the "666" section of Supper's Ready are actually tacked on from a Yes concert. Perhaps that explains why the audience looks mainly bored (in one scene you can literally see some teenage kid asleep).

I watched some of 3SL and was reminded how terrible it is - badly filmed, the flow of the live footage disrupted by other stuff, songs out of order and butchered by edits.

I quite agree. The film editing is very subpar on the 3SL concert video. It's like they didn't think that anyone viewing it had the attention span to pay attention to the band playing live for any length of time. I don't know which is worst--the scenes that were edited into the ATOTT concert film during classic sections like the closing instrumental part of Cinema Show and Apocalypse in 9/8, or the butcher job they did to the 3SL concert. The tacked on audience noise on the 3SL video doesn't help either.

I gave this a 13 (very good) rating. For me the reason it falls short of outstanding is the repeated "Daddy you promised" lyrics that just me cringe today. However, the rest of the song is outstanding for me from the awesome increasingly loud intro to the quiet calm of the "house of dreams" section in the middle of the song. My favorite version is the live version from 1978 in Chicago...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

In the live versions I've always quite liked the use of the mellotron in the middle of the song, just after the "Features are burning on" line. Also, I love the heavy symphonic sound they play live at the end.

Ah, don't mind him. He's got a termite in his underpants about "wokeness" and is on a mission to crowbar it in at any opportunity. Including in response to innocuous comments about old-new setlist sequencing which he chooses to characterise as "moaning" 😂

Indeed. I teach political science and even I get tired of the exhaustive use of politicized terms as applied to things non-political, including simple disagreements over music.

That version has a lot more punch than the album version. The transition to ripples is so abrupt, i'm surprised Banks signed off on it!

Couple of other thoughts; i love the idea that they mixed it up a little still across a tour, in this fashion. And also, it occurs to me again that it is amazing that Phil was singing and drumming on material like this at a time he was on his way to being in the same group as Madonna and Michael Jackson in terms of musical success.

Edit: the ripples portion of the medley is heavenly, and the squonk part is very muscular, bordering on very heavy rock. I *really* wish i could have seen this live.

At the show I attended on the Mama tour that medley was comprised of Eleventh Earl/Squonk/Firth of Fifth. I thought the transitions worked well from each song to the next (especially Eleventh Earl to Squonk). Where things got clunky for me was they cut out of a good part of Squonk. The transitions within Squonk were more awkward than they were between songs. I have seen a clip (I believe from a show in Oakland, CA) where they added the very end of the Musical Box on after the instrumental section of Firth of Fifth. That is a bit clunky as well. I listen to it expecting Phil to sing "Now as the river dissolves," etc and instead he starts into "I've been waiting here for so long."

Lets remember the Greatness so much enjoyment for so long, was anyone on here at Wembley this year? If so how do think it compared to 2007?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I know I've said this before, but 1982 was the tops for me. We got the full Supper's Ready, the Lamb, and at least the truncated '76 version of Watcher. The band was at it's peak in terms of energy and their playing, and they looked like a bar band in their t-shirts and jeans instead of those godawful Miami Vice suits, circa the IT tour.

From Christian's intro at the top of this thread 👆

The lyrics are based on the book An Assassin's Diary by the near-assassin Arthur Bremer, who shot down Alabama Governor George C. Wallace (Democrat) in a shopping mall in 1972, but without killing Wallace. The song lyrics also contain elements that could be interpreted as parallels to the assassination attempt on John F. Kennedy.

Yes, pretty much what I thought. As I mentioned in a previous post I've read Bremmer's diary (creepy stuff). From what I've read as well about his childhood background it sounds like he was a sad and depressed youngster. And the lyrics definitely contain parallels to JFK's murder.

15/15 pts

no other choice. It's in my PG all-time top 5. The whole album is stunning.

I know that story as well but did Peter ever confirm it's about JFK?

Can't say for sure that it's about JFK. There are some actual differences between the JFK assassination and the song. For example, JFK was sitting not standing, and the governor of Texas was riding in the same car (not behind in a different car). It could be PG taking a little artistic license in describing an actual event.

Well, yes, undoubtedly, they know their craft, they are certainly top drawer and we are reminded of that , even in their weakest songs but I must say I don't find much substance to Paperlate, there is IMO a bit more in NRAA, even though it's another one I dislike.

I agree that there is more substance to No Reply at All, particularly in Tony's keyboard playing. In addition, I've always fancied the "drop down" when Phil is singing "There's no reply at all, there's no reply at all" toward the end of the song (Not being a musician I'm not sure if what I'm referencing is a cord change or a key change--or neither).

If you download something using torrents, as you download it to your computer, you are also sharing it with others by uploading it. Once it's fully downloaded, as long as you leave the torrent program running on your computer, you will be "seeding" it, so if someone else comes long to download it they will, at least partially, be downloading it from you. If there are 100 people seeding it, if someone comes along to download it (which if I recall used to be called "leeching") they'll download it very fast. If there's one person seeding a concert and 100 people trying to download it, it will be very very slow.

Witchwood is correct, I think the one I used was uTorrent too, but there used to be several of these torrent servers to choose from. Torrentz was another one I think. It is a little daunting if it's completely new to you, but pretty easy to get up and running. Also, leaving it running and uploading after you've downloaded something used to be considered good form, but in the earlier days i ran foul of the old data limits internet companies used to impose if I accidentally left something uploading for days, so I'd be screwed and left with terribly slow internet for the rest of the month 😆

Edit: I assume leaving it seeding for a while is still considered good form, it's how the community shares.

Sounds pretty easy. Thanks :)