Posts by MoonlitKnight

I agree 100% about Do the Neurotic. It definitely is a much edgier song than The Brazilian. And the end is pure joy—rather like that soaring part of Cinema Show that always causes an eruption of cheers and applause from the audience.

Having been in 2 of the bands that you cite :), I can tell you that the main reason is that people don't want to hear personal "takes" on Genesis music in a tribute band. They want to hear note-for-note recreation as any of these shows are nostalgia experiences for 99% of the people in the audience. And yes, Martin Levac is incredibly talented and eerily similar to Phil Collins.

Just to clarify, I quite enjoy each of the bands I mentioned. As for Martin Levac, no doubt he is very talented, but I never understood why he abandoned covering Genesis music. He was spectacular as “Phil” in TMB and I really enjoyed the show I saw his own Genesis band perform in Philly about 12-13 years ago. When he started doing Phil’s solo music instead I emailed his website asking the reason for the change. He was nice enough to respond in person, but his answer made no sense. He said he didn’t feel comfortable as someone in his 40s trying to replicate Phil in his 30s as Genesis singer and drummer. What I didn’t get was why he was comfortable doing solo 30-something Phil? Maybe because the music was less challenging? I dunno.

Thanks much! I'm a college professor stuck smack dab in the middle of grading final papers and exams for the semester. Once I'm done with that I'll give it a look!

I'm with you on sides 3 and 4 apart from your reversal on TWR, a track I've always loved and without any kind of chemical assistance. It, and especially its various live renditions, are the sort of thing that even as a nutjob fan I yearned for them to do more of, taking things off-piste in the most un-Genesis-y way. I absolutely love this band but have always felt frustrated that while they showed on the Lamb tour, with that track, they could (by their standards) break free and run a little wild, they didn't do it more often. I'm not saying I wanted them to do Jazz Odyssey every night but at least cut loose more than that track on that tour. But I love the album version.

I hear ya on the "cutting loose" (or the lack thereof). I really enjoy the version of The Lamb that was performed on the Encore Tour in 1982 precisely because it feels like the band really took chances and pushed the envelope with the jazzy intro and outro. The outro didn't always work (IMHO it was a disaster at the show at The Marquee in '82, which I assume is why they cut the outro jam short and and transitioned into Watcher much sooner than at other shows on that tour), but when it did work it was joyous and magical.

I was blown away with the set list. I knew 80-90% possible songs but to hear Duchess, Dancing With the Moonlit Knight, and believe it or not that was the first time to hear Afterglow live. I like how they changed the medleys up too. I loved the melodic versions of The Lamb, Follow You Follow Me, and That's all.

Back in '86 I got to hear Supper's Ready prior to them replacing it with Afterglow.

Fantastic show!!!

I'm not sure if you've seen this clip from Detroit 1986. The last part of Supper's Ready. It's awesome!

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Yes it's about dependency, the person in the song is at the point of desperation to satisfy their addiction - most likely heroin.

A favourite lyric of theirs for me, and I'm a big fan of the song generally. I think it's a pity they were apparently so down on the mid-section (hence quickly abandoning it after the IT tour), I think it has a really nice dark, slightly turbulent dream-like quality.

My interpretation of the song is basically the same, but with one twist. To me the character is torn between feeding his addiction and trying to kick the habit. That second point (kicking the habit) is addressed in the line "Try to shake it loose, cut it free, let it go, just get it away from me."

This touches on a broader version of this question I've occasionally wondered. I'm not interested in tribute bands but might be intrigued if I knew of one that did interesting different interpretations instead of faithful straight recreations. Does anyone know of any?

EDIT - if you do, best answer in the tribute bands forum and tag me in.

I've often wondered the same thing. I've seen 4 Genesis tributes bands: The Musical Box; Trespass; Dance on a Volcano/Turn It On Again (Martin Levac's band that did the Three Sides Live Tour; the band changed its name at some point); and The Genesis Show. The one that comes closest to "different interpretations" is The Genesis Show, but that's mainly because the lead singer neither looks nor sounds like Phil Collins. In terms of the music they play it's basically a recreation. Levac is so close in looks and sound to Collins that it's almost creepy, and anyway he switched to doing Collins' solo music over ten years ago. TMB is right on in being a faithful recreation. I saw Trespass 10 years ago and don't even know if they still perform or not. All of which is a long-winded way of saying I haven't found anyone yet who is willing to take a walk on the wild side in terms of creative reinterpretations of the music.

Stagnation. It’s not that I didn’t appreciate it at all, but seeing The Musical Box perform it a couple of weeks I was reminded of just what a great song it is. My partner has started getting into the older stuff since we met. Her personal favorites are Supper’s Ready and Ripples. After TMB show she was thrilled they had played both SR and Ripples, but was really enchanted by “that Stag-something” song (as she called it). When we watched When in Rome on public television last weekend she instantly recognized the riff during IKWIL, saying “Oh, this is from that stag-something song” lol.

Lots of recordings on GenesisMovement. My faves from that tour are the recent remaster of Forest Hills, The Marquee and Hammersmith.

Ok, it’s time for true confessions: I’m such a techno idiot that I don’t quite understand how that site works. Can you download files from there, and if so using what software? (Like I said, I’m a complete idiot when it comes to all things tech lol). As for the shows you mentioned, I have listened to all of them on YouTube. I’m particularly fond of Hammersmith and Forest Hills. I understand that The Marquee show is “iconic,” but for me Abacab, SR, and The Lamb/Watcher aren’t quite as on the mark at Marquee as at those other shows. I’d add LA, Dallas, and Columbia, Maryland to my list of faves from that tour, but none of those recordings is of the same quality as the ones you mentioned.