Posts by MoonlitKnight

I went back and watched Nic’s interviews on YouTube from March and April of this year. In those interviews he says that there were three songs that were particularly hard for him to learn and that after learning them none of them made the setlist. He does say he had the songs learned (I stand corrected—in an earlier post I suggested perhaps he hadn’t managed to get those songs down). The 3 songs he mentions specifically as being difficult to learn were Apocalypse in 9/8 (he said he found it impossible to count to so he had to memorize the drum section); Los Endos; and Second Home By the Sea. Whether that means those are the three “hardest” songs that didn’t make the setlist—hard to say for sure. He also said the band was completely ready to tour before the first delay due to Covid. The concert—musically and visually—was totally prepared. That would lead me to believe that no changes have been made to the setlist since then.

I have never collected bootlegs or torrents and was always a bit reserved about audience recordings as they simply might spoil or even destroy the experience. So I never heard that 1982 gig. Getting older, I am more and more thinking I should.

In 1983 I stumbled into a double album of the Six of the Best gig in a record store in Baltimore that specialized in selling bootlegs. The album was titled “Gabacabriel.” I had no idea the concert had taken place. You can imagine my excitement over finding the album. I was disappointed in the sound quality but happy to own a recorded copy of such important Genesis history.

More gold: as you correctly note, speculation is essentially what drives this thread in particular. My speculation is based on the interview this past March with Nic and what he said in that interview. No, he did not say “We are not playing Apocalypse in 9/8,” but he did note how difficult it was for him to learn followed by him saying that some songs didn’t make the setlist. He stopped himself from elaborating by saying if he got specific on that topic it would upset fans who don’t want to know what’s going to be played. My impression was that Apocalypse is out. Please note that in my comment I purposely said “IF” it’s not in the setlist. I hope my impression is wrong on that count. As for being balanced in placing blame, fair enough, Tony and Mike saw Nic play and signed off on bringing him on board. Of course they were also between a rock and a hard place. They knew Phil would only do the Genesis tour if Nic was on drums. There would be no tour, regardless of what is played, without Nic on drums. He may be a very good drummer. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that is the case and we will hear some of the prog-era classics we haven’t heard for a while.

A clip that proves it is perfectly possible for a drummer around Nic’s age to handle Apocalypse in 9/8 beautifully. If it’s not in the set because of Phil’s voice I can live with that. But If they don’t play it on this tour because Nic couldn’t handle it I’m gonna be royally PO’d, not at Nic but at Phil for insisting the band employ a drummer who can’t handle the complexities of their prog-era stuff.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

We are under a Heat Advisory on Maryland’s Lower Eastern Shore. Heat Index Values are supposed to reach 107 f this afternoon. How did I ever survive with no AC at home, school or college? Just a bunch of fans blowing hot, muggy air on us. We just dealt with it. I’m not the man I used to be. TGFAC.

I'm assuming that the Many too Many rumor traces back to '07 rehearsals when Banks was pushing for that or Blood on the Rooftops. As far as other bits, I urge everyone ot re-listen to the Nic Collins interview(s). he also mentions that the more complicated bits were dropped form the setlist. I would definitely put 9/8 in that bucket. We'll find out if/when the tour proceeds :).

I think you’re spot on with your take on Nic’s comments that the more complicated songs were dropped. As I recall he made that comment at the the conclusion of discussing rehearsing Apocalypse in 9/8. I took it that he was saying Apocalypse didn’t make the final setlist, which as I’ve said in several other comments is an utter shame given the fact there are dozens of cover bands who play Supper’s Ready with one drummer.

So I take it it's just because "the And then there were three tour" is a bit of a mouthful? (Why not just call it the '78 tour?)

Hey, And Then There Were Three tour is better than the Mama Tour. I was in college at the time. I remember wearing my concert t-shirt while walking across campus thinking how cool I must look only to have someone point and laugh out loud in a mocking voice “The MAMA tour?”

Had a nice couple of weeks out of town in Maine and Western Massachusetts. Nice lakes, swimming for the kids etc. Did an obscene amount of barbecuing! Good local brews too.

Anyway, OT I want to say I increasingly believe it very important to counter disinformation rather than conveniently deleting it. I used to think 'what's the point?' but having seen it balloon malignantly I don't think that at all anymore. That's all.

👍 Stand up and fight for you know we are right, we must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our lives.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

We'll see..... It wasn't meant as a dismissive comment but an objective statement. Genesis, in the late '80s was "the" band to see along with many others that have come and gone. In fact, many fans routinely confused Phil Collins (solo) and Genesis in their respective heydays.

I much prefer the music from Genesis’ golden prog years. Having said that I can stomach almost all their pop songs live, with the exception of I Can’t Dance and In Too Deep. I come very close to hating the studio version of Invisible Touch but it’s decent live. To me songs like No Son of Mine, Land of Confusion, and even Hold on My Heart are a cut above average pop songs from that era.

With only 50% or so of Americans vaccinated to date and wide geographic divergences, I also have my serious doubts as to whether this tour will happen.... anywhere. They can't start cobbling dates based on cities that may or may not be "open for business". I can only imagine the astronomical expenses associated with a tour of this magnitude. I think that looking at what other acts are doing will be very enlightening in this regard. Many have already pushed their dates well into 2022 and some, even in 2023! Aren't we living in fun times? Fingers crossed that things improve for everyone.

All true, which makes things even dicier for a band whose members are 70 years old (with the exception of Nic of course). When you add Phil’s fragile health into the equation it really seems highly questionable the tour will take place late this fall/early winter in the US. Another of the long list of reasons that this “getting a vaccine is solely a matter of personal choice and has no impact on anyone else” is grade A bull cookies.

A story I just saw on CNN has me majorly bummed over the prospects for the DC concert specifically and the US leg in general. A growing number of acts are postponing or considering postponing tours in the States. Limp Bizkit has postponed their tour and Garth Brooks is considering postponing his stadium tour. An indoor Genesis show a week before Thanksgiving seems increasingly doubtful to me :(

I Am a Rock—just heard it on the radio.

Phil hinted at it as far back as 2016 when he talked about coming out of retirement....doing music again "maybe even with Genesis". The three of them were spotted together a lot in 2018. Wasn't a big surprise really.

I'm personally not really surprised if Apocalypse makes it....they've played (at least) part of Supper's Ready on most tours since 1972. I hope I am wrong but I don't foresee any big surprises. Ripples was the biggest surprise of the TIOA tour, and it was quite a biggie...and really well done too.

Perhaps our definitions of "big surprise" are different.....I'd say a big surprise would be a substantial part of anything from Trespass....more than the opening section of Moonlit Knight....more than the closing section of Musical Box...the whole Cinema Show....something from the 70s they haven't played in it's entirety since 1982 or earlier...or never played live. Slotting a couple of minutes of Fly On A Windshield into a Lamb medley would be a big surprise...and very welcome.

Count me as one who will be surprised (and very pleasantly so) if they play Apocalypse in 9/8. Since 1977 it’s been played on 2 of 8 tours (The Encore Tour and a few shows at the beginning of the IT tour). And Phil’s voice couldn’t handle the “666” section in 1986. I have my doubts he could handle it in 2021. One way around that challenge would be if they played that section purely as an instrumental and then have Phil sing the closing section.

Really? When?? Seems to me like we're kind of still here.

Thanks for this tip which I noticed hidden in the middle of your extremely whiny post (honestly, it's an 11 out of 10, it nearly blew my whinometer apart), but I'm gonna go right ahead and whine my head off whenever I feel like it 😃. You're also dead wrong of course, the earth can sustain our current population and more if we managed our resources properly, which we don't.

I agree. The problem isn’t overpopulation; it’s the damage we are doing through climate change to the crucial ecosystems that sustain life. Countries like China, India and Brazil are replicating the Western model of development. The additive impact of rapid industrial development over the last 2-3 centuries is the real culprit, and much if not most of that damage was produced during periods of time when the populations of the countries of Western Europe, Great Britain and the US pale in comparison to the rapidly developing countries today. And if you want to look at the problem from a purely nationalist perspective over the next several decades the US, Western Europe and Japan will face a crisis of rapidly slowing population growth. Ironically the very same countries where today you have large-scale anti-immigrant movements will have to rely on immigration to sustain sufficient numbers in their work-age populations.

Definitely headphones/earbuds worthy.

I still reckon they're doing Apocalypse. Nic has said, in at least three interviews I've seen, that he'll only mention song titles that made the final set....and he talks a lot about how Apocalypse is really difficult for drumming etc. He mentions rehearsing "a song from 1971" but doesn't name it, so I am doubtful about Musical box....but I see two different track listings for the upcoming box set. I wonder if there will be a set for the UK shows and a slightly different one for the US shows? Then combine both for the live DVD/BD/album? I'd buy a 4LP box set of Genesis Last Domino Live.

I really don't think the creature with red eyes is the Squonk. I don't see the resemblance. It looks evil, with one red eye...the Squonk is not evil. I did ask some non-fans what they thought of it, and the universal verdict was that it was canine. One even said "It's a wolf with one bad eye". But I now think it unlikely that White Mountain will make it. The red eyes could be from HBTS. Genesis rarely give us big surprises these days.

One could make the case that Apocalypse in 9/8 and DWTMK would be be big surprises too. And I agree that the Squonk as depicted in mythology is not an evil character. However if you look at the album cover the character has the classic “slanted up as you move from the middle of the face toward the outside of the face” evil look. If you google “how to draw evil eyes” and “how to draw evil eye brows” there is a resemblance to the image on the rehearsal clip. And yes I admit I have way too much time on my hands to be googling stuff like that :D

Let me start by saying I don’t play guitar. Having said that, I have to say that I thought measured by looks alone Mike looked kinda silly playing the Steinberger on the IT tour. He’s so tall and lanky that it looked in his hands like a toy prize at the bottom of a cereal box.

In my case its the frustration of the Irish Government and Health Officials who are adapting an ultra cautious covid restrictions exit. Arena sized concerts are still very much not on the radar yet. 18000 max attendance for sporting events so far here in Ireland

With the UK been so close and the real possibility the shows will happen there, its a no brainer and the fact 2022 will already be a busy year for concerts

Wait and see I suppose. Let's hope its pretty straight forward in terms of arena access. The EU green cert might be enough etc

I understand your frustration but at least your rules are being set at the national government level. Here in the US it’s utter chaos because decisions on restrictions are left up to individual states and municipalities. And most of the decisions are bass-ackwards: a state like Florida has its highest daily infection rate of the pandemic but their Huckleberry Dumbbell, Donald Trump-wannabe governor just issued an edict outlawing mask requirements. Meanwhile states with a high % of citizens who have gotten both shots are the ones where mask requirements and other restrictions are most likely to be reinstated. I’m supposed to see the concert in Washington, DC in November but honestly at this point I wouldn’t be surprised if the mayor there outlaws large-scale indoor gatherings. Hopefully I’m wrong.