Posts by MoonlitKnight

oh man…I must be nuts. My 3 kids and I always reference that one as one of our top 10 favorite episodes!!! Kramer was gold on that! George walks into the set looking confused!! Kramer is eating and drinking like a freak…”And…we’re back!”

Hey bro, different strokes for different folks. Based on your username I should probably defer to you on this one :)

To be honest, I interpreted Tony's comment as meaning that some long-running live staples (these being the "old dogs" and not necessarily just "old" i.e. prog era songs) may not be played in favor of presenting a broader picture of Genesis as both a prog band and a pop group within a two-hour timeframe. Tbh it could go either way at this point since it seems the band is trying to be as vague as possible regarding a potential setlist to avoid alienating fans of either Gabriel-era or Collins-led Genesis. Still lookin' forward to the show though, regardless of what songs are played.

Oops-I just reread a BBC article from 2020 that credited the “old dog” comment to Phil. I thought for sure that Tony said that, but I guess I was wrong. In the interview Phil made a point of saying songs that featured his drumming would be removed. I’m not sure what to make of that. No Los Endos in the setlist? No Behind the Lines? No SHBTS? No Firth of Fifth? No Cinema Show as part of an old medley? No Afterglow? If so I guess we really might get some stuff that hasn’t been played for a while.

When you think about the 2007 setlist, the few genuine surprises (measured as songs not played over the several previous tours) were Duke’s Intro, Duke’s Travels, Ripples, and perhaps Carpet Crawlers. I’m thinking the surprises on this tour will be fairly limited again. Maybe Squonk, Duchess, and some part of Supper’s Ready. Hopefully I’m wrong and there will be more, but I find Tony’s comment that, given a two hour set limit and considering the hit songs the band feels they need to play, “some of the old dogs won’t be running” to be disconcerting for those of us who are hoping for more old stuff to be included in the setlist.

Yes I didn't much care for the whole Merv Griffin set-up, that was too silly.

I don’t think the show as a series ever jumped the shark, but that Merv Griffin episode was about as close as it got. I remember watching it with my former wife when it first aired and we both agreed it was time for Jerry and the gang to call it quits. I consider that episode to be one of the most maddeningly stupid episodes of any good sit-com series I’ve ever seen.

Just found this interesting interview with Peter recorded in Cleveland in 1974 during the SEBTP tour.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I agree that Season 9 was a little too over the top at times. Every episode had some great moments that season (e.g. I saw the b-boppin’ and scattin’ episode last night) but many also had Kramer doing things that were for me just too wacky—installing a garbage disposal in the shower; the whole Merv Griffin set fantasy (I think that was season 9, but I might be wrong) asking Jerry where the stock of Kaiser rolls were for his meat slicer. It’s like the character had completely lost touch with reality. As Liquid Len phrased it, they definitely went the surreal route the last season or two.

Sometimes I well up when learning such young children have absorbed the Beatles into their DNA. I hope it'll never end.

Check this clip out of youngsters doing a helluva job with I Am the Walrus :)

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

On this day, 12 July, in 1958 The Quarrymen made their first recording, at Phillips Sound in Liverpool - a rare McCartney/Harrison composition In Spite Of All The Danger, and a cover of That'll Be The Day, both sung by Lennon, both performed into a single mic.

63 years... if you go back the same amount of time from that date, we're still in the 19th century during the reign of Queen Victoria and Grover Cleveland was US President.

Ah, the old “if you go back the same amount of time” mind game. I was talking with my gf about that the other day in regards to classic Genesis music from the PG era. Trying to convince her teenage and early 20 year old kids that music from then is cool is Iike trying to convince me in the 1970s when I was a teen that that music from the 1920s was cool :/

The only red flag for me with this whole genre of reaction videos is how few times you watch a video and the person reacting says they don’t like the song. That virtually never happens. I figure they know that people who stumble across their reaction video are fans of the song (that’s how it comes up as a suggestion on YouTube in the first place) and they feel a need to give the viewer what they want. The one I’ve seen that stands out from that general approach was one I posted in this thread last week where a couple reacts to Supper’s Ready. The husband loved it and the wife seemed to barely tolerate it.

Plenty (Tim Bowness, Brian Hulse, David K Jones) - Enough (2CD lockdown project, includes a cover of Suzanne Vega's Soap & Water)

Ah, Suzanne Vega. I heard this one yesterday for the first time in a while . . .

“Julie With,” Brian Eno

oh. Never even occurred to me it was about the English Civil War. Should have picked up on that. My American brain just went to our civil war. Your right that some of the humor is kind of cheesy, post PG. Like “you’ll have no trouble until you catch your breath and the nurse will present you the bill”.

I’m not sure I’d characterize any line from Entangled as cheesy. Now Illegal Alien . . . Oy, where do I begin?

I’d be perfectly happy if they skip I Can’t Dance. As for Follow You, Follow Me, Phil has performed it at solo shows in recent years and an acoustic version was played during the CAS stations. It’s a song that fits his current vocal range and fits the “we played some older stuff” category, poppy as it may be. It checks a lot of boxes.

Information for this stuff came from various forums related to Genesis music and keyboard forums. As for the guitar synth there’s the footage recorded during the 1983 sessions that has the ARP Avatar in the background, implying that it was used on that record. Some of its sounds can be heard on Duke as well. The Roland GR-500 was used for the rest of the guitar synth appearances (with exceptions of course).

As someone whose instrumental musical talent is limited to playing the air drums to classic fills in the instrumental sections of songs like Firth of Fifth and Cinema Show I must profess complete ignorance as to the guitar synth. Would you mind sharing its unique design and purpose?