Posts by MoonlitKnight

Absolutely my favorite song on Abacab, and maybe in my top 10 all-time for Genesis songs. A perfect mix of prog and rock. And as others have mentioned, the light show at the live performances was astounding. If you listen to recordings on YouTube from the 1981-84 era you can hear audible gasps and loud cheers from the audience in response to the vari-lites.

At the risk of being labeled a braggard I have very fond memories of this tour as I had the opportunity to go backstage to meet Phil in his dressing room before the show in Washington, DC (thanks go to my extremely buxom female friend at the time who was a radio DJ and managed to flirt our way past Phil's management and stage crew so that she could get Phil to record some promo spots for her station). Still, despite this once in a lifetime experience I have to say that if forced to choose I've always slightly preferred Face Value to Hello I Must Be Going. To me HIMBG seemed like it basically covered much of the same musical ground Phil had already covered on FV. There are some very good songs on Hello. For me the biggest weaknesses are the ballads as compare to FV. For my taste Don't Let Him Steal Your Heart Away and Why Can't It Wait Until Morning sound rather formulaic and lack the emotion of songs like You Know What I Mean and If Leaving Me is Easy. Also, there's a creative edge to songs like The Roof is Leaking, Droned, and Hand in Hand that are hard to find on HIMBG.

I have no clue either. I'm sure I could think of other Banks songs where this is the case though.

I bought the CD when it was new and got rid of it after one listen (which, in retrospect, was unwise of me). Mainly, I thought that songs like "I'll Be Waiting" and "The More I Hide It" were real downers.

I did eventually get the CD again, and have had it ever since. This was a case where I just needed to give something more than one listen.

My experience with Tony's solo albums is that I generally found them to be a bit of a letdown. However, there have always been one or two pearls per album that I really enjoyed. Songs like This is Love, The More I Hide It, Water Into Wine, Another Murder of a Day, and The Border. It's so interesting to me that Tony wrote such great "solo" songs for Genesis (once they started giving songwriting credits to individual band members his songs were always my favorites) yet his material on his solo albums frequently lacked that certain something. I guess it shows the influence of the other members of Genesis is making suggestions here and there when Tony would bring in a solo song for consideration.

Suck it up, 'Phil.' Many great live albums have had the audience "sweetened" in the mix, including Wings Over America and Peter Gabriel Plays Live, plus just about every other live album ever produced. The only live albums I know of that were recorded straight to disc are Deep Purple Made In Japan and UFO Strangers In The Night. The ARW show was fabulous. Ask anyone who attended one of the gigs. I for one couldn't care less whether the audience was dubbed or not. Just sayin'...:rolleyes:

Geez, dude. Lighten up.

This reminds me of a comment by a grumpy old prog-head bloke I know who's always banging on about how Genesis went rubbish after PG&SH left, who (like me) went to a 1982 show on that tour. He took issue with PC introducing Supper's Ready as "a really... really... REALLY old song." The bloke complained that it was only 10 years previously and Collins's description was somehow derisive. Yes, some people will find any minor thing to bellyache about.

My point to him was on the same lines as your comment above, ie so much had happened in that 10 years. Two key members had left, new touring members added, 7 album releases, a marked change in style and their first major singles successes. The band's personal circumstances had changed significantly - marriages, becoming parents, getting divorced. The two departed members had gone on to have notable solo careers. Yes, it was "only" 10 years but with all that happening it must have felt like a whole lifetime ago.

They played what was in my opinion the best Collins-era rendition of Supper's Ready on that tour and the guy complained about the intro? Man, he was grumpy.

Over the weekend I finally watched the move from which the clips for this video of a great PG song were drawn.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I realize many will disagree vehemently with me (including my girlfriend, who adores Queen), but I was never a huge fan of the multi-track vocals used by Queen. Just a matter of personal taste. For what it’s worth I had the same issue with music of The Carpenters. In short, with Queen I love the music. The vocals—not so much.