Posts by Duke of Earl of Mar

@hofflalu has started a thread about a video from Alex Ball's Youtube channel (about E-mu SP12 floppy discs from Genesis).

There's another video about Tony's Roland JD800, that he used from 1991 to 1998.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

What's interesting is that Alex demonstrates some sounds from certain songs that actually never got played on tour during this period. So, maybe it gives us a clue about what was actually rehearsed or at least suggested before the tours (WCD or CAS tours).

I also find this video quite funny because of Alex's attempts to play Genesis songs without getting a copyright strike... :D

I realise you said "it's like..." but I disagree with the notion of what a musician is "supposed" to be doing, other than that they're supposed to do what they feel like doing.

Actually, I agree with you. While writing this post I was wondering "Should I write "musicians were supposed to", implied by some fans' POV, or rather "Some "old" fans expected them to sound like..."?" I finally chose the first option because it felt simpler to write, maybe I should have gone with the second and reformulate. :)

EDIT : And you're right, I forgot Peter and his WOMAD stuff, for example...

I think this period (1981-1983) is quite interesting in the history of the band :

- Phil Collins first solo album, totally different from Genesis;

- Genesis most radical album ever (Abacab);

- Steve Hackett releasing a "pop" album (Cured);

- Mike doing the same (Acting Very Strange);

- Then Tony doing the same (The Fugitive);

- Anthony Phillips playing pure-synth stuff;

- Then the same Anthony Phillips playing "pop" (Invisible Men), although it seems he wasn't very fond of it.

You see what I mean ? At this point of time, it's like all were trying not to even evoke what they were supposed to be (musically, I mean).

I've just noticed there's a reprise of Hairless Heart in The Light Dies Down On Broadway... 8)

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content youtu.be

Calling All Stations :

1 Calling All Stations Banks, Rutherford 00:05:43
    2 Congo Banks, Rutherford 00:04:51
    3 There Must Be Some Other Way Banks, Rutherford, Wilson 00:07:54
    4 Alien Afternoon Banks, Rutherford 00:07:51
    5 Sign Your Life Away Banks, Rutherford 00:04:45
    6 Not About Us Banks, Rutherford, Wilson 00:04:38
    7 The Dividing Line Banks, Rutherford 00:07:45
    8 Uncertain Weather Banks, Rutherford 00:05:29
    9 Run Out of Time Banks, Rutherford 00:06:31
    10 One Man's Fool Banks, Rutherford 00:08:58
    11 Anything Now Banks, Rutherford 00:07:00

TOTAL 01:11:25

I think the album would have been better that way... Less uniformity, I think. Recently, I came across "Sign Your Life Away", I think this is one of their best songs from that period, very punchy. I like "Anything Now", especially the surprising piano solo. And "Run Out Of Time" is a hidden treasure.

Setlist :

External Content youtube.com

Don't forget it's recorded with a mobile phone. Everything sounds a bit muffled here. Tim got a lot of criticism on his singing, based on that video. But those who were there claimed they sounded great.

For the solo part, I tend to favor his "more relaxed" approach he has compared to Daryl (and I like Daryl too - but the same goes with Firth of Fifth back in 1998, also because of the improvisation that was different every night).

I've read on Facebook that Anto apparently played a bit of Firth of Fifth (possibly during the Word of Mouth extended ending at the end of the concert). Nice ! I would like to see that.

Sorry don’t really know how to insert links properly.

To insert a video, on the post editor click on " >_ ". You will see ["tt"]["/tt"]. (I added some quotation marks to make it visible, but you won't have them.)

Replace "tt" by "media" inside the square brackets and paste the Youtube link between them.

["media"]Youtube link here["/media"]

You must not have any quotation marks inside the brackets, otherwise it won't work.

It just seemed particularly short-changing to only have the Mar intro, unless anyone can confirm they ever did more of it than that.

They did on a very few occasions...

Difficult to say which one is my favourite. The "Bright" one is... brighter, at least in the first part : more clarity, a bit more top end, each instrument apart from the orchestra seems to be more discernible (e.g. the damper noises of the piano), and the voice cuts more through the overall mix (less reverb). Perfect for today's standard (radio promo and so on).

The "Dark" one is more about the overall balance between everyone, even if the strings and the horns are more present. Also in the final part, the drums are a lot more present in this mix (especially in the low end), and there's few details in the string part there, that I can barely hear in the "Bright" one (listen at 5:13, there are some high notes in the Dark mix).

Wait, he has never heard The Knife but he has a Spot The Pigeon poster ?

That's funny.

Of course everyone has some albums and songs, considered as "classic ones" that we have not heard yet (personally I know Yes, and their Tormato and 90125 albums, and a few other well-known songs, but I know I still have to listen to Tales From Topographic Ocean, Close To The Edge, etc, because I don't know them. Same for the Beatles or the Stones, I still don't know all of their songs.)

I saw this thread yesterday and since, I've kept trying to find a Genesis song that I really don't like... but I can't find any.

Everything between 1970 and 1980 is top notch for me.

Of course, there are songs that I like less than others : for example between Alone Tonight and Who Dunnit, I would choose the first. Even then, I still kind of like Who Dunnit... and if I didn't like it, I don't think it would be one of those songs you would be afraid to admit you don't like.

I think the album that contains most of the songs I would skip is CAS. Something like Small Talk for example.

But I think the main reason would be the sounds used in it, not the song itself if it makes any sense. Small Talk with different sounds and arrangement would be better than it actually is.

I found this on Youtube. Quite funny to me, but I think it's only because the synthetic voice-over adds something quirky. ^^

This guy is a fan. He also posted some time ago another video based on the same concept, pointing out "the" Rutherford riff...