Posts by Duke of Earl of Mar

So when Tony Smith said "clean up the archives", is this what he was talking about ?

I'm glad to hear such news, but I would also do something more "basic". Something like :

- Genesis Live 1981 - Abacab Tour - The complete 2-hour-performance - Audio remastered from the original multitracks and video digitally enhanced in HD.

- Genesis Live 1984 - Mama Tour - Same thing

- Genesis Live in Wembley 1987 - Same thing

Then the Lyceum Theatre show.

I don't know if they have the rights on the 1976 and 1977 video live performances. If they have, please work on them also...

Really? What did he do?

I checked on Youtube.

He did some extra tapping, and an intense use of his Whammy pedal, along with some fast playing (think of Daryl in Firth of Fifth).

If you're attached to the studio version, you may find it surprising.

Los Endos is heavily modified too, with Snippets from his solo stuff ("Clocks")

Same with IKWIL.

Personally I don't mind some experiment.

I think this is the one. But it's made on purpose, so it doesn't count... :D

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

CSNY - Our House

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Neil Young fan (and so, CSN/Y), and I love this album - a classic - and this song. But I think it's cheesy. The "La La La" part is... :D

Same with In Too Deep from our favourite band. For me, the cheesiest song they ever produced (with the fake strings, and the infamous DX7 electric piano during the choruses...).

But I like cheesy songs...

Now this is truly interesting. I have the original VHS. I had been a fan since 1999 and the Purple Rain tour was once of my first concerts (preceded only by Rush and Yes I think). I then bought the Purple Rain deluxe version to get CD versions of extra tracks like Erotic City, the full length Let's Go Crazy, Irresistible Bitch, etc., plus the concert on DVD. How much better is this DVD version?

Much, much better than what existed before. They recently found the original audio multi-track tapes of the concert in the Vault. That's why they decided to release a new version of it.

The 2017 version was just a basic transfer from a VHS (or Laserdisc ?) to a DVD. So both the image and the sound had some limitations compared to what we should expect from a proper DVD, in fact the mix is the same as your original VHS (so, almost no low frequencies for example).

They first did a remaster of the audio in 2020, to stream the concert on Youtube to support research/hospital against the Covid pandemic. But the source was the stereo master tape. I guess it was only re-equalised and remastered, but it was already a vast improvement.

But this version is a proper remix (same as what Nick Davis did with the Genesis albums in 2007-2009), from the multi-track tapes. So they checked everything : relative volume for each instrument, EQ...

The overall sound is way better, more balanced, every detail is perceivable.

They improved the video too. It's not a proper "restoration", because there is no "real film", only a VHS source. They tried to improve the image with some algorithmic software (similar as what the Genesis Museum did with the Bataclan Concert). Honestly, it looks great. No perfect, but great.

Still, the most important thing is the sound, and they really did an amazing job.

You can watch some extracts on Youtube on the official Prince channel.

Prince & The Revolution - Live At the Carrier Dome, Syracuse, NY, March 30th, 1985.

I received the Deluxe boxset 2 days ago. 3 LPs, 2 CDs, 1 Blu-ray, a booklet and a poster, with a code to download the mp3 files to put them in your mobile phone.

Great stuff. Big sound, big venue, big haircuts, big suits.

a setlist in which much of the set has to be comprised of songs that the fans expect to hear (the hits).

I only speak for myself, but as a *fan*, I precisely want to hear "non hits" (or "deep cuts"). :D

It rather may be the "general/average audience", who knows songs because of radio airplay since the 80's, "Phil Collins connection"...

play songs they’d like to play that aren’t “fan favorites.”

I really wonder what songs it would be...

The tinny sugary top-end tweeness that dogged some of the 76-78 phase

I should probably feel ashamed about having some bad taste, but that's precisely something I like in those records...

I know the majority (including the band itself, that's why I think something is wrong with me...) favours any Genesis producer over Hentschel, but still, I like the sound he gave to these records.

But I can't explain why, only that I listened to these 76-78 albums countless times, as I was a child. It's probably why I'm attached to them...

with a sideways nod lyrically and somewhat musically to “Everything Little Thing She Does Is Magic.”

So apparently I'm not the only one who have noticed it... ;)

What, as worst song? Really - "many"? I can't be alone in liking it a lot and thinking how brilliantly it showed their range. I love that a band that produced superb complex rock music like Apocalypse, DWTMK and FoF could also serve up a delicate metrically irregular 3-minute acoustic ballad and give it to the drummer to sing. For me it's one of the things that makes them such a great band.

:thumbup:

More fool me is great. To me, it sounds a bit like a Roger Hodgson song (and I love Supertramp...).

What I love about Genesis is that it goes from Supper's Ready to Who Dunnit, from Slippermen to Hold On My Heart, etc...

But I like Scenes From A Night's Dream. Probably because I'm French so I don't pay much attention to the lyrics and how they are written (I understand English quite well I think, but still it's not my native tongue, so there's always some kind of "distance", and words don't hit me as hard as in French - it's probably why I can't listen to modern French pop music - I tend to always consider it quite bad, lyrically speaking...

Worst song ? I'll go for Small Talk. The synth used by Banks is awful.

Do you want something out of nowhere ? I've just had a revelation.

A Trick Of The Tail and I'd Rather Be You are linked together.

... I told you it was out of nowhere.

How ? Same key. Pretty easy, eh ? But there's more.

Tony plays exactly - I mean exactly, shapes and all - the same chords in the chorus of A trick of the Tail and on the beginning of the main riff of I'd Rather be You.

External Content youtu.be

^^

I like the instrumental bridge. Maybe not as much as other Genesis instrumental stuff, but for me it's part of what makes the good a good one, along with Phil's vocals.

On the "Rearrange the albums" thread, I had included it on IT...

1A) Feeding The Fire

2A) Tonight, Tonight, tonight

3A) Invisible Touch

4A) The Brazilian

1B) Land Of Confusion

2B) Domino

3B) Do The Neurotic

Approximately the same length as the one we got 36 years ago...

Speaking of Neil Young, Tonight's the Night, recorded in 1973, released in 1975.

Between 1972 and 1973, Neil Young lost two of his friends :

- Danny Whitten, guitarist of Crazy Horse (you know, Neil Young and Crazy Horse) in 1972.

- Bruce Berry, a roadie for Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young in 1973.

Both died from heroin overdose. Neil felt guilty, especially for Danny, because he had just invited him to record stuff. But Danny was in a complete mess, completely junkie. He could not follow the music. Neil Young told him to go back home and rest. He gave him 50 dollars to pay his trip back. And Danny paid his fatal dose with these 50 dollars.

Neil Young then entered in a depression/alcohol phase. He managed to organise a recording session with friends in Ken Berry's studios (Ken is the brother of Bruce Berry). There, they would drink alcohol, play games... And start recording past midnight, completely drunk, in a kind of pagan-rock 'n' roll-celebration atmosphere.

The result is Tonight's the Night.

On the tour for the previous album Mellon Collie, their drummer Jimmy and their touring keyboard player (something Melvoin) overdosed in a hotel leading to the death of Melvoin and Jimmy (Billy's closest friend and ally in the group) being fired.

Jonathan Melvoin, brother of Wendy and Susannah Melvoin.

Wendy was (and is still !) the guitarist of Prince and The Revolution (a.k.a "Purple Rain Era", from 1983 to 1986). The opening chord sequence of Purple Rain ? That's her.

Susannah is a singer and was briefly engaged with Prince in 1985-1986, but they broke up.

Jonathan was a multi-instrumentalist, he played drums and percussion on a few Prince's tracks. For example, this one :

His death led to the recording of a very sad album by Wendy & Lisa (Lisa Coleman was one of the two Prince's keyboardists between 1980 and 1986, the two girls were in a relationship and they formed a duo, "Wendy & Lisa", after the Revolution disbanded). The album is Girl Bros, released in 1998.

And, since we are here on a Genesis related forum, there is actually a thin connection. Wendy Melvoin played bass on this 1991 Peter Gabriel track :

EDIT : Besides Genesis, I'm also a Neil Young and Prince fan. Now you know...

;)

I guess it's also for technical reasons that they never performed Blood on the Rooftops live. Steve would never have been able to perform the intro properly on a nylon acoustic guitar (remember they had to install custom-designed electric pickups for their 12-string acoustic guitars). Magnetic pickups don't work with nylon-string guitar because, well, it's nylon, not steel (i.e. metal).

Nowadays we have piezo pickups, but I don't knowif they were available at the time, and as efficient as today...

And putting a regular microphone in front of the guitar, with the high volume they were used to playing, would have caused feedback.

Playing the intro on an electric would have been necessary. Was Steve ready to do that ?

- Mad Man Moon

- Blood on the rooftops (well, if possible)

- Snowbound (I love this song)

- Man of our times

- Cul-de-sac

- Living forever

Rutherford's bass playing is superb on NR, also on You Might Recall.

Yes it is, that's why I tend to like it over the years. Collins' groove is great too, and surprisingly, Chester never seemed to capture it on the live versions.

If you take a song like Duchess, Phil's and Chester's grooves are quite different, but Chester adds his own thing that I really like (Duchess live is probably in my top 5 Genesis song list).