Posts by BassAnd12Man

Since the coronavirus thread was shut down and the topic seems politically sensitive enough that a small number of fans of an old rock group can blow up at each other about it such that a separate thread seems unwise (and unwanted I'd guess), I thought I'd drop a random thought or two in here.

I'm so frigging tired of this shit. I haven't seen my parents in two years and they're supposed to visit in a couple of weeks and now this new (TG they didn't go with 'nu' haha) variant has blown up so quickly I'm afraid travel will shut. And if it does I'll understand, I think the precautionary principle is pretty important here. But it will suck.

That's all. Also I hope it's not as bad as it might be.

Based on early reports, it's not, but time will tell. Covid is endemic, by all accounts, so think of it as another "flu" for which we will most likely need an annual booster shot. To think this will disappear soon is illusory based on all the variants. in some twisted way, it reminds me of traveling pre- and post-9/11. We've adjusted, however painfully, to tons of new security measures and we still travel. The same will be true with Covid, I suspect - we'll deal with it. Best of luck with your parents; I know the feeling.

I'll always look at 92 medley fondly, because I was a 16 year old at my first Genesis concert, MTV generation you know. I really liked this new music coming at me I never heard. The screens illuminating DOAV were vivid, the 13 string was sharp, Chester kicked in, and a thrilling vocal from Phil, and from that moment on, I was an all eras fan. It was fun going to these things pre internet called record stores and finding Selling England, because it had 2 songs from the medley on it.

Very fun times starting to dig into PG Genesis and loving what I found.

MTV - What killed so many incredible bands form the '70s. It all became about "look" and "visuals" and not music.

To each his own indeed but when I think Abacab, Trick and Wind definitely don't come to mind. The only song off that album that reminds me of older stuff is Me and Sarah Jane with that Banks romanticism stamped all over it. Dodo also have some of the heavier colorings of previous works. The rest? Nope....

The first time I saw The Musical Box was at the Tower Theater some years ago. I drove up from the Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland and just as I got to Upper Darby a horrible windstorm came through and the power went out in the entire neighborhood. I must have broken the world record booking it by foot from my parking spot and the theater. Thankfully every show I’ve been to since then in Philly has been at the Keswick in a much nicer neighborhood.

Agree 100%. I really like the Keswick, mainly because I've played it myself several times lol!

Think again!! Here in California, we invented gangs, homeless, drug addiction, the smell of piss in the streets, and general skid row fun. LA, Oakland, and Sacramento are where Steve is going….and the parts of town he’s playing at are best left to Kevlar vests and you ideally should bring a Glock to protect yourself there 😂😂😜😜

I feel your pain. When I see shows scheduled for the Tower theater in Philly (however famous and historic it may be), I shudder at the thought of driving, parking and walking in Upper Darby. Especially that "lovely" drive down Market street through west Philly - car jacking anyone?. Thankfully, his shows are all in the 'burbs this time around.

The whole negative reaction to old stuff is a bit perplexing to me. In 2007 Ripples, FOF, IKWIL, the Old Medley and Carpet Crawlers were all warmly received at the show I attended in DC. Fourteen years later are there suddenly a bunch of 50 year old IT fans showing up at Genesis gigs who have no exposure to any of the older material?

To tag on to what others have said.... It could definitely be the city. It'll be interesting to see whether the crowd reacts similarly in those old Genesis strongholds - Philly, Montreal, Toronto come to mind. There's also a weird age/nostalgia thing potentially kicking in. Those "IT" fans are probably about 50ish nowadays? The "older" fans are very late '50s and '60s. With the pandemic, it's quite possible that the older people (also the ones more likely to have some health issues) just aren't going into crowded spaces yet. Boy, that makes aging sound appealing lol. I'm nearly 59 and I'm still not entirely sure about sitting cheek to cheek with 20000 other people, to be completely honest.

We can talk ourselves numb over all the things that would be good if..., but as mentioned in archive discussions elsewhere we all know they are not, never have been and never will be a clear-out-the-attic band. There won't be any full shows releases beyond what there already is.

I can only guess the silent movie clip represents "cinema". I saw that godawful film twice on the same day, in a cinema in the late 70s. It was the support film - remember them? - for a feature-length Incredible Hulk, as in the Bixby/Ferrigno TV series. How on earth that shotgun marriage of features occurred is anyone's guess. I went with a schoolfriend and fellow fan. A couple were within earshot, before the programme started she said of the support film "What's Genesis?" for that's how it was listed, just that word, and her partner said "Oh I expect it's some nature documentary" which caused us mild amusement.

We watched it, sat through the Hulk, then watched the Genesis film again - you could do that back then. But it was just as crappy the 2nd time. That's both the times I've ever seen it

I unfortunately missed the ATOTT tour by a smidgeon, age wise, but perhaps those who saw a show can answer this question. Was the backdrop film shown on the '79 film (the people chasing the earth ball) actually projected live as one of the films? I know they used a lot of films/slides on that tour as it was sort of meant to be Lamb part 2, visually. I do have a friend who saw that tour but he doesn't remember (either way) whether Cinema Show had projections. He does remember Carpet Crawlers having a film and numerous other slides. Thanks.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARP_Avatar

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_GR-500

Not much of an expert but from my understanding you plug this in and when you play the guitar it has a mix between a guitar and synth kinda-sound. Steve Hackett is infamous for his use of guitar synthesizers. An example is the title track of Please Don’t Touch.

Hackett used the Roland GR-500 a lot on Please don't touch (those gritty swelling chords are from the GR 500). Rutherford did use the ARP Avatar but he also used the Roland guitar synth live and in the studio.

My observation: This poll voting reflects more the result of the tastes for the album quality and not the tours.

I am old enough to say that I saw the early tours 1973-1974 (4 times) and the Lamb tour was my #1 for many years. But with the advent of the grandiosity of later tours (including other bands besides Genesis) during the 80's and 2000's, that tour has fallen down a little on my list.

About having a time machine, I would have loved to see the 76-78 tours that I missed but recovered in the 80's going to the Duke (2), Abacab (2) and Mama tours. Never saw the '82 Encore tour tho but Duke is still my new #1 even having seen the 1992 and 2007 tours that technically and visually are more stunning.

Interesting comment from someone who was fortunate enough to see the early '70s tours (I go back to '77 so that's my baseline). I actually didn't like the Duke tour (which I saw in Ottawa); I preferred ATTWT and Abacab/Encore tours. I just thought the setlist in '80 was unbalanced (they only had 4 post-Gabriel albums) with only a couple of Gabriel era songs played. The lighting was also super pared down compared to '78 and '81 (which of course featured the introduction of Varilights). All opinion of course....

Very well said and saves me struggling to articulate my own thoughts on this! So basically - yeah, what you said.

Not trying to pick a bone at all but if I had watched a Genesis video from 1973, 1976, 1980, etc., at the time, should I also have not judged the performance and just "see them live"? I have tickets for Genesis too this time around, let me clear. But my level of enthusiasm is at about a "1" on a 1-10 scale, after seeing these videos. You can delude yourself into thinking that they sound great; they don't unless you're tone deaf. Phil Collins can't sing anymore, period. His timbre is horrible, he's off key a good chunk of the time and he can't sing to the tempo (just watch the damned videos). Yes, the visuals are great, yes, the musicianship (mostly) is ok but that's not enough for a professional show that's charging $150-$500 a ticket. Come on! You wouldn't accept this from any other act! Now if you want to enjoy the company of other G-fans and have fun for one night, I get that. But to push the argument that they sound great? Not even close, unless you're completely delusional or your only experience of them live is 2007.

After seeing manchester i watched newcastle a couple of nights ago and was v impressed by the progress phil was making. He sounded much better and They seemed to be really enjoying themselves again. The O2 shows would’ve been wonderful. Who knows what happens now. Gutted for them and all the fans.

I don't mean to sound disrespectful by posting this but after listening to the Glasgow video.... Eeeekkkk. Phil's voice was horrible, off-key, off tempo, etc. I'm willing to give the guy some love and slack (lower keys, change in tone, etc.) but this was beyond the bounds of what a professional musician should be able to deliver, especially at the ticket prices charged for this tour.

Key words: "within the band". My biggest fear is Phil given every other health issue he has and also the other guys given their age (71). Not to be a downer but I"m not terribly surprised given how contagious variants are and how bleed through cases (vaccinated people contracting Covid-19) are popping up all over the place. Hopefully, their vaccines will prevent any serious health issues requiring hospitalization (which is their main intent).

I also feel bad for people that had tickets to these last UK shows. Hopefully, they will be rescheduled. I am, however, considerably less optimistic for those of us on this side of the pond. Given quarantining rules and such, I have a hard time seeing how all NA shows will proceed. I hope to be proven wrong 100%.

Man I wish I could hop in a time machine and experience that.

It was freakin' awesome (at the ripe old age of 14 lol). All I remember is all the long haired dudes around me, pot (everywhere) and the presence of perhaps 3 female out of 8000 lol. All kidding aside, my memories are a bit hazy (not for that reason!) but I do remember the lasers and the landing lights in Los Endos and TMB. I envy those of you who can remember every detail of a show you saw nearly 45 years ago. My memories ar much more spotty.

Interesting to see Seconds Out as the top live album. I wonder how many people who voted for that album actually saw the '77 tour (let's forget Cinema Show for now)? I did and that's why I did not vote for SO. It doesn't at all sound like a Genesis live show, circa 1977. Forget the fact that virtually no W&W is on it (and they played a lot of it live). It just sounds "weak". And Genesis was so powerful live on that tour, just listen to the Zurich bootleg or any other "raw" recording from that tour. I remember my shirt vibrating from the Taurus pedals, that's how powerful it was. I definitely don't get any of that from SO.

Hopefully one good thing to come out of the pandemic will be the end of handshakes, a ridiculous and sometimes slightly nauseating custom. Elbow-bumping can sod off too. There's absolutely no need for physical contact when meeting people. A nod, a smile (or in my case a sort of half-scowl) and a a few kind words of greeting are all that's necessary.

Spoken like a true Brit lol. For us "latins", the latter are genetically encoded.

I LOVE that album and am probably in the minority with that opinion. I saw that tour in October of 1978 and it was awesome. We even got a punk version of LLDOB as the encore lol. There were songs played that never made it to an album (me and my teddy bear) and awesome material from the first 2 albums. Gabriel was really into Springsteen at that time and those influences definitely colored "scratch", not to mention Roy Bittan's playing. Great memories of that period..... Thanks for posting the survey.

Unfortunately (or not, depending upon one's viewpoint) I just don't see this happening. I can't imagine Tony and Mike agreeing to performing without Phil. I'm not even sure Peter would go along with it. I do think Steve would likely agree to such a combination going out on the road, but I honestly wonder how much demand there would be outside of the hardcore, old-school Genesis fandom for such a show, especially in the States. Maybe it would work here in the US if performed in a few very select places, although I suspect one would still encounter such moments as I saw at a Musical Box concert several years when they were doing The Lamb tour. A clearly frustrated and bored woman sitting in front of me turned to her husband and asked "When are they gonna play Invisible Touch?"

12 years from now lol lol lol....

I hadn't ever realised they dropped CCs for the US/Canada dates. I did know that even in the UK The Knife was sporadic. Setlist FM claims it was played on 2 or 3 US dates as was back In NYC so yes PG era was sparse. Setlist FM also claims that on the last date in Canada they finished with TMB closing section, which I'm inclined to say is an error on the compiler's part.

They did play the end of TMB in Toronto only (I saw them in Ottawa on that tour). Just as they played Back in NYC in... NYC lol. But the standard setlist, which 95%+ of us saw, had The intro of Dancing out and IKWIL as the only 2 Gabriel era songs played in '80 in NA. Hey, I love ATOTT and W&W so I was quite happy as a lot of that stuff was still being played at the time, especially One for the Vine.