Posts by BassAnd12Man

I think most of the people going to the upcoming gigs are not necessarily the same who have voted for Trick, Lamb and SEBTP, incidentally my favorites no matter the order. I'm just guessing but judging by the comments, some of the fans interested in the gigs are generally younger, got on board with the latest albums and perhaps never had the chance to see the band live. I´m generalizing of course but I'd submit the majority of earlier fans are not that interested and as such I think the choice of material is about right.

You may very well be right Fabrizio. But as a 45+ year fan, I am/was hoping for 1-2 surprises as this is definitely the last hurrah for them. And I would venture to say that there's still a sizable portion of older fans in attendance. My guess is that the current setlist was entirely based on what Phil could handle vocally (even transposed). I can hardly imagine him singing ATOTT or Gabriel-era material, for example.

Tonight Tonight Tonight has been posted finally, seems they had some issues at beginning and Phil forgot words also.

Tonight Tonight Tonight Video

Thanks. Man, these songs are unrecognizable transposed so low. I remember thinking the same thing in '07 with Ripples and other songs but this seems much worse. Duchess also lost a lot of its punch in a lower key. I realize that this is the current reality. Also noticed quite a few flubs in some of the posted videos (e.g. Banks was off tempo pretty badly in Cinema Show last night). Hopefully, opening tour jitters.

I mean, there's a reasonable amount of stuff there. And 'favourite' doesn't really capture a range value. Some people love all the albums almost equally and others only like certain ones. I think a ranked choice vote would probably be the best way to see, but you can't do that on this forum software.

More generally, I was hoping to see more love for the Self-Titled album, as it was one of my picks (along with Trick and Duke).

I suspect that rank ordering would reveal roughly the same top 3. It's just interesting to me to see the "era divide" pop up yet again. This isn't meant as bait for arguing. If you like Invisible Touch, go for it. In my mind, there's a bit of cognitive dissonance if you equally enjoy Foxtrot and Invisible Touch, for example. But hey, that could be my problem lol. Peace.

I'm sorry but I just can't stop comparing 2 "recent" versions of DOWTMK, the one form last night and this one from 5 years ago:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

@ all new members

You may want to participate in this poll ;)

Christian, though the responders to your poll are certainly not "representative" show goers necessarily, it's nonetheless interesting to see how disconnected preferences (the top 4 albums are '70s stuff) are to the actual current setlist. Maybe we can send your poll results to Phil, Mike and Tony lol (yes, that's a joke). Thanks for doing this.

But if he had that confidence in his new stuff he'd tour it properly, he wouldn't choose to do a token couple of tracks and get them hurriedly out of the way before focusing on an entire 44-year old album by his old band.

This topic always seems to come up and I empathize with the various realities that Steve might be juggling. On the one hand, playing Genesis has become his meal ticket. Less cynically, I actually think that he senses some responsibility in carrying the prog torch forward with this material which is admirable since no one else is doing it. On the other hand, I really like a lot of his solo stuff. I was fortunate to see him on some of his earlier tours (in '80 and '81) and those shows were fantastic. He did thrown in the occasional Genesis bit but it was 5-10 minutes in a 2+ hour show. I'd personally see him again if he decided to solely focus on the solo stuff (he did do Spectral mornings not that long ago) but he is in a "bind" at this point, I suspect, having done these Genesis tours for so many years now. Robert Plant was kind of in the same situation. On his first few tours, he absolutely refused to play any Led Zeppelin. Then, on the Now & Zen tour, the floodgates opened and these became staples of his live shows, albeit in very bizarre forms in recent shows.

Thanks for posting the setlist and for the videos. I'm not terribly surprised by the setlist (it's pretty much 2007 give or take) which is probably the most disappointing part. I was hoping that they'd slip in one true surprise but alas, no. The intro to DOWTMK was pitiful; I'm sorry. Yes, I'm going to see them (in NA) and yes, I will enjoy it and feel more than a twang of nostalgia but man, oh man, age is not for the faint of heart (and I'm speaking to myself as much as anything else)..... Take care.

Seconds Out has terrible flow because it's got noting to do with the W&W setlist flow (excluding Cinema show form the '76 tour for now). It would have been better as a triple live album since nearly all of W&W was played at some point during the tour. As someone who saw that tour, Seconds Out doesn't do it for me. It sounds "thin" and Genesis live was a monster by this point (loud and booming).

Thanks AB. I hope my point didn't come across as trashing MR, as that was absolutely not my point. Quite the contrary, having learned so many of his bass and 12-string parts, I have the utmost respect for his playing ability and he is, in fact, vastly underrated on both instruments. It was simply a series of observations from the interview. As you said, there are probably logical answers for their various levels of "excitement" about the tour at the moment.

As far as coming alive on stage, I've seen it many times... Many years ago, I participated in a Sirius XM Townhall interview of Roger Waters in NYC. On mic, his age definitely showed. He was severely myopic and obviously had pretty intense hearing loss, among other things. However, the next evening, on stage, it's as if someone had injected him with "super juice" lol. It's interesting but I guess 50 years on the road will do that to you. Take care, Andre.

Will everyone please promise to not post setlist details in this thread, only in the setlist spoilers thread! I don't want to know until I'm sat in the Glasgow Hydro in 2 weeks time.

In fact, from the start of the tour I think I'll simply avoid this entire board altogether, just in case.

Welcome to the internet/social media age. I remember being totally surprised seeing them in '77, '78, etc., having little to no idea what they were going to play. Other than reading the music papers at the time (which rarely if ever revealed complete setlists), it was virtually impossible to know what a band would play. Now, in the era of attention deficit, everyone has to know everything, "now". How I miss the '70s.... And yes, avoid this board!

I think that's a really valuable lesson, yes. But there's a difference between recognizing the value of what was done in the past, and reliving what you've done in the past by hanging out with it every night.

I certainly know that my first marriage and subsequent divorce contributed to who I am today (and hopefully helped make me a better husband this second time around). But I have no interest in hanging out with my ex-wife. Similarly, I'm sure the band can see the way certain songs were really influential in their growth as artists and as a band. But that doesn't mean they have any desire to play some of those songs ever again. And I don't blame them for that.

That may be a strong analogy as I don't necessarily equate life's relationships with songs (and I am a diehard musician) but that being said, I would concede to your argument IF Genesis was still a viable recording entity. For example, in the early '80s, I understood why they were so focused on the new material at that point and perhaps didn't want to wallow in the Gabriel era stuff. However, this is a pure nostalgia tour, as was 2007, so there really are no barriers as to what they could play (they have no record to promote or sell and that model has been dead ever since downloads reared their ugly heads). Of course, they can play whatever they want but I suspect Rutherford has a pretty strong say in the setlist given his general aversion for early '70s stuff. Playing a song that's nearly 42 years old (Duke stuff) is not that far removed form playing one that's 46 years old (Trick stuff), for example. All fine, just my opinion.

I'm glad you said it AB, as I was thinking the exact same thing. Rutherford is the one who seems to have a pretty strong disdain of earlier material (ok, that might be strong wording) whereas Banks would play way more of it if he had the final say. I think Phil, as evidenced by his attendance of a Musical Box show (and playing one one song) several years ago has also come around to the earlier stuff. In fact (flame throwers coming my way), reading their body language in the BBC morning show interview, I got the distinct impression that Mike was the most gung-ho (by far) in doing this tour whereas Phil was not super enthused (understandably) and Tony was somewhere in the middle. Yes, this may be reading tea leaves but that's the impression I got.

I think that it is one of the older songs that they all really like. I think that is part of the problem with them playing old material. I think it is hard for all three of them to agree on certain older songs. The ones that they do play, it seems that they all still feel strongly about. Most bands are critical about their past and Genesis is one of the most critical.

That's a really good interpretation. I still find it odd. Once we reach a "certain age" (cough, cough), we all look back at things we said, did, etc., at different points in our lives. And while we might cringe in certain instances, the reality is that history is not revisionist, i.e., we acted in a way that was consistent with who we were at that point in our lives. That doesn't make it any less valuable and shouldn't be looked down at as who we are today is the cumulative sum of those experiences. That's way too off-topic lol.

One thing Genesis has always been good at is creating "flow" in their setlist (some bands are horrible at it) - though ending with Carpet Crawlers in '07 was a bit weird, despite their emotional attachment to the song. So expect a punch in the face as the opener and closer, whatever these might be. I also can't imagine that they won't include an older song in the encore to close that loop. The again, we'll all know soon! Take care.

In the documentary you can hear the end of In That Quiet Earth transitioning into Afterglow. I’m guessing that will be plugged in between Cinema Show and Afterglow, as during the Mama Tour. I’m expecting TTT/IT as the set closers. For the encore I have a hard time imagining an encore that doesn’t include some older stuff (as with Carpet Crawlers in 2007). I think we are likely to get a mix for the encores—something like I Can’t Dance, DWTMK/Carpet Crawlers, Turn it on Again. I’m holding out hope the set begins with Abacab (or they launch into it right after Duke’s Intro, as they did with TIOA in 2007). The song I’m having the hardest time figuring out in terms of placement is Duchess. I just can’t imagine it without the lead in from BTL.

They could start Duchess with the Roland drum machine bit. It's a bit stark but it might work.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Thanks for posting. My God, I feel even worse for Phil than I did. As someone who's been seeing them live since 1977, it's heartbreaking to see how physically beat up he is. I hope he gets through it and can enjoy it but there's a part of me that's thinking "why"? I think that all of you in the UK are fortunate in that you're likely to see an uninterrupted tour; I'm beginning, however, to have serious doubts about the North American tour's viability after a month or so on the road in the UK, the traveling involved in his state, etc. Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a downer; the interview was sobering.

Thanks Paul. Don't worry about the rant. This is a ranting site lol. All kidding aside, many would agree with your post. The reality is that 8 studio albums were released in the 1970s and 4 in the '80s (2 in the '90s - one of which they wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole). The other reality is that the '80s albums probably outsold the '70s vinyls by a factor of 10, at least. That being said it's all old, dated music, if you go by the dates, which is a hard argument to put forth (the newest songs are 30 years old). I personally find IT as dated as any other album with the electronic drums and the "synths du jour". If you ask any prog fan to pick one song that best defines '70s prog Genesis, it would have to be Supper's Ready. Yet, it's unlikely that they'll play even a bit of it. I empathize with the juggling act that they need to engage in but I also have a hard time swallowing that they need to play "all the hits", especially as these songs are very old. Plus, they have no new material to promote; this is a nostalgia tour, pure and simple. That's my rant :).