Posts by nts1drums

I think the ones credited to a sole composer, such as Trick and Moon, will have both music and lyrics by that person.

I've read that Banks is responsible for RA&B's lyrics (as well as the bulk of the music) and that he was aiming to continue PG's style of quirky/humorous story-telling lyrics. There are some tricksy rhythmic bits in the song that I'm guessing are the Collins-generated components.

By the way I like how in your post the two guitarists get the first-name treatment while the other two are surnames-only, which is my preference - I shudder slightly at the first-names thing.

Haha oops, I didn't notice that until now. I think I prefer that for some reason.

And I figured that Banks wrote the lyrics as well, I mean it'd be hard to write clever humorous lyrics, I just didn't think Phil would write those kind of lyrics (then again the man wrote the impressive lyrics to Inside & Out and Scenes From A Night's Dream, so who cares what I say).

I believe you're mostly right, although Tony has claimed the choruses of "Entangled," which may mean he wrote the lyrics as well as the music to those.

I seem to recall him claiming that he wrote the music to the chorus as well, though I don't remember if he mentioned lyrics as well for that one. I similarly wonder what Collins specifically did on Robbery Assault & Battery, maybe the time signature change? The bridge? Who knows.

Also worth noting that Steve Hackett posted a bit of a reflection on Hairless Heart, and he mentions on the track that he wrote the first half of the melody (the guitar part) while Banks wrote the 2nd half (the synth part).

That pretty much puts the credit for Hairless Heart to Hackett/Banks.

Say, I wonder who wrote the lyrics to the compositions after Gabriel left...

Starting with A Trick Of The Tail, based on what I've seen...

Dance On A Volcano - lyrics Mike

Entangled - lyrics Steve

Squonk - lyrics Mike

Mad Man Moon - Banks

Robbery Assault & Battery - lyrics Banks (Collins hasn't contributed lyrically at this point, exceptions aside)

Ripples - lyrics Mike

A Trick Of The Tail - Banks

Los Endos - instrumental

I'd say the intro song would be Dance On A Volcano. It's got a mesmerizing riff & powerful chords. Phil's vocals aren't gonna be too difficult to do live.

Obviously Domino is gonna be included somewhere on the setlist, given the tour is named after the 2nd part. Turn It On Again & Abacab will also be obvious in inclusions.

Given Phil's state I think that most of the stuff involving his drums aren't going to be included (I'll miss Duke's Travels...) but hearing that they rehearsed Los Endos is surprising. I hear some percussion on the original track so Phil might do that instead of drums. Many Too Many, I've heard rumors, I don't know for sure. You'd have to show me evidence to prove it to me. Follow You Follow Me will be included since it's a mainstay.

Best guess? I'd say either A Trick Of The Tail or Duke. I'd add the two albums in between but Steve doesn't have many contributions on Wind & Wuthering (though his contributions to Eleventh Earl Of Mar, Blood On The Rooftops & The Unquiet Slumbers / In That Quiet Earth medley are still awesome) and ...And Then There Were Three... mostly has good tracks but I honestly don't like Burning Rope & Say It's Alright Joe.

Unrelated to the current topic but real quick over to Pigeons:

So at this point we know that Mike wrote the lyrics and Tony was primarily responsible for the music it seems like. But Phil is credited for the track too. What could he have contributed? Was it the melody?

EDIT: And is there a thread where I can properly introduce myself? Sorry for just randomly appearing out of the sky.

EDIT 2: I found it never mind.