Posts by Mozo

There's been an outpouring of love for Karl Wallinger. I suppose I never realised he was so loved.

I love every WP album and always thought it a shame he/they weren't a bit more popular.

But he was obviously a very talented guy. I always hoped we'd be getting some new material from him one day...

Big fan here. I'm happy he's releasing something new, but cautious. Like many artists, I think he had a golden period, and his later material doesn't quite match up.

Having said that, his 5 album run - Turnstiles, The Stranger, 52nd Street, Glass Houses, Nylon Curtain is spectacular.

I'm a bit late to the party too, but I just saw this thread...

I rate it as a 10. I've never quite got this track in the way that many others seem to.

Personally, I think there are 2 better songs on side 3, let alone the whole album.

For me, Anyway does what Lamia does, but much better.

It might not seem like an obvious connection, but the 2 are very much linked to me.

I imagine we have a few people who saw the Abacab tour, and in particular at the NEC in Birmingham?

The first ever Genesis show was 23/12/81 at the NEC. So I spent the whole month furiously listening to Genesis, and then saw them live 2 days before christmas day. And then spent ages furiously listening some more.

Even The Lamb seems Christmasy to me because I listened to it obsessively that month ^^^^

Any other tales of Genesis Christmas past?

It's remarkable how many candidates there are for best album opener. Practically every album in fact...

For me it has always been Watcher. Even after all these years I still get goose bumps hearing that intro.

It's atmospheric, dramatic, mysterious, even catchy in its own weird kind of way.

In some ways it even serves as a good introduction to the band for a new listener. It's got everything.

I like this track, certainly more than some other people seem to. I especially the the ending section, with Tony and Steve's interplay. Love Steve's guitar work here.

I don't mind the lyrics at all, but I can certainly understand why they are somewhat impenetrable for some people.

Is it a bit long? Probably.

I think one of its major issues is that it's on an album with FOF, CS, DWTMK and IKWIL. Most tracks are going struggle in that context.

Very hard for me, this one.

My favourite PG album, although it took a long time to get there...

It has the lushness/production of So, with the more emotional side of PG's later work. I think US hits the sweet spot.

Blood of Eden is possibly my favourite track on any album. With the passing of Sinead O'Connor it's now even more poignant.

A few years after this album came out I was going through a tough time, and this album and the live album really helped me through.

I love sides 2-4 with a passion. I think it captures them live at one of many peaks.

However, I must admit I don't care for side 1 much. In my opinion, they never captured the magic of Squonk, Carpet Crawlers and Afterglow live, compared to what I like about the studio versions.

But that's a minor complaint. This still gets played regularly by me. Especially FOF, IKWIL, and all of sides 3 and 4.

For me, it's an instant 15. A fantastic track, and an amazing way to start the album. They certainly knew how to start an album, and it leads into what is probably my favourite song on Duke (Duchess, of course).

Also, its the first song I ever heard them play live, as it is the song they opened my first gig with - in 1981.

Imo comfortably, and I mean COMFORTABLY their worst album. (Im not counting FGTR).

A couple (or three depending on how you look at it) of good tracks, and no surprises for guessing which those are. I bought this and spent ages trying to convince myself it was good at the time.

I'm still slightly shocked at the quality control on side 2. I get the feeling they weren't feeling that invested at the time or something.

And I hate the production too! :D