Posts by Mozo

Thanks for everything indeed.

Based on interviews over the years, and comments since he died, it seems unlikely the Genesis that we love would have happened in the way it did without him.

I think we owe him a lot.

11 points

I have mixed feelings. It's a very bizarre track and it somehow connects to earlier Genesis stuff and at the same time, it doesn't. Nevertheless, I really liked the version he played in 2007.

I agree with all of that. Except I don't have mixed feelings about it!

I gave it 11, only because 14s/15s are reserved for the absolute stone cold classic.

This album alone has Solsbury Hill, Humdrum and HCTF

Looks like it's me and you that are in the 3 club!

IMO, one of the worst songs on one of the band's worst albums.

This is was the first album I bought actually as a fan, and I spent ages trying to convince myself that I really liked it. But I don't... :)

I get that it's a catchy, jaunty little number but that's the most positive thing I can say about it :)

It would appear that most people disagree with me, at least so far in the poll....

She got a five star review for her show in Dublin from the Irish Times. Think I'm going to have to borrow a couple of my daughter's CDs. Also, she's 34?! Just incredible.

https://www.irishtimes.com/cul…-does-it-like-you-dublin/

Ok, I could go on at length about this. But I would probably recommend Folklore, Evermore, and the Tortured Poets department to someone starting out.

Folklore was my gateway drug.

I know this is a "last gig" thread, but in my opinion, when some of the mega-hype and mega-fame dies down a bit, she will be re-evaluated and many more people will realise what an incredible songwriter/artist she is.

Seems you are the only Genesis person to attend an Eras gig!

https://www.vulture.com/articl…ylor-swift-eras-tour.html

Thanks, that's really interesting. It sent me on a trawl on the internet and I found this interview, during the release of her "1989" album.

Are there new musical influences here? Some music reviewers have been mentioning the influence of Lorde or Lana Del Rey or maybe Robyn in some of your songs. What do you hear?

I hear Peter Gabriel and I hear Annie Lennox. Those were the two artists that I was listening to a lot when I was making this record. What Annie does is so interesting to me, and it's not something you could ever try to duplicate. But the way she conveys a thought, there's something really intense about it. And I think that's something I'll always aspire to.

And what about Peter Gabriel?

With Peter, that's an artist who has such incredible taste and such an incredible finger on the pulse of what would excite people, musically. What he was doing in the '80s was so ahead of its time, because he was playing with a lot of synth-pop sounds, but kind of creating sort of an atmosphere behind what he was singing, rather than a produced track. It was just kind of astonishing how he was able to do that. And then you see him in his later work, when he did that album full of modern-day covers. I mean, I just think that he's remarkable at giving people what they want, but they didn't think they wanted.

I'm happy to see 2 of my favourite artists coming together in that way.

Ok, that's interesting.

I thought the findings might be a bit closer than they are.

For what it's worth, I much prefer the studio version. To me, the studio version has a nice groove, and a lovely "jangle" about it, that the live version doesn't have.

I've always thought the SO version felt rushed, and that the groove was missing to some extent. Having said that I'm still sad I never got to see them do it live - my first show was 1981.

I got the idea for this because some of the Tabletop Genesis team thought it was a strong opener to the album, and I think exactly the opposite. (love TG by the way, if they're listening!)

I feel that way about all of side 1, but that's for another day!

Hello everyone.

I have been listening to the Tabletop Genesis podcast again recently, and they were reviewing Seconds Out.

I think it's fascinating the range of opinions we get in this forum, so I wanted to start a new conversation, purely for a bit of fun.

The idea is obvious - which songs were better live than on the album? Of course, it's an extremely personal choice but it will be interesting to see what people think.

For the live versions I will probably just use the main live albums, but on occasion I might include specific other live versions (Archive, the odd live recording etc).

I'm starting it off with Squonk.

I have my own strong opinion about this one which I'll post later, but let's see what the general consensus is...

This post by DecomposingMan says Misunderstanding is on the list of Genesis songs with live versions worse than the original. I wondered what else might be on that list. For me, the 3SL version of M&SJ - a song I love on the album - is on that list too.

Any other suggestions?

Ha. Funny you should mention that.

I am about to start a conversation about that very thing. I will probably do one song at a time, so we can debate which song is "better" live, or not.

It's just a bit of fun.

I wasn't aware of Racing Minds, just looked them up. But I can't see any listing for them on the Fringe website, although there are still more shows to be added in the next week or so.

Re rentals: the short-term let system was up in the air when I last checked due to the Council's draconian approach which has left many property owners withdrawing due to uncertainty over licensing. When booking for this year I was told by some rental businesses to leave it for the time being until licences have been sorted, as I'd risk booking with a property that fails to gain a licence and I'd be left rental-less. As I prefer to get it sorted 10-12 months in advance I managed to find a nice looking family-run hotel off London Road that was amazingly well-priced - well, comparatively speaking. It's well reviewed so fingers crossed. I've always rented apartments until now; staying in a hotel will be a first for me.

For the first night I'm in one of the student rooms off Leith Walk. If you don't mind "slumming" it a bit (the rooms are basic but okay) it's a very cheap option. If the rental market doesn't stabilise I'm tempted to book a longer stay in a student room and put up with it on the basis that I'm usually out all day at productions so I'm only in the room morning and night and asleep in between!

HI, it's this...

https://tickets.edfringe.com/w…fore%20your%20very%20eyes.

In looking through possible Edinburgh Fringe shows I've come across a couple that are wholly or partly improvised based on audience input.

Others I'm interested in include Attila The Stockbroker is performing this year, anyone remember him? He's doing a show about early forms of music, incorporating early instruments. Also, a show performed by a woman in a bathtub to a single audience member. I love stuff like that.

If you want to see some genuinely good improv in Edinburgh, based on audience input, you need to check out Racing Minds.

I have seen their show many times and they are all gifted improvisers.

I'm just gutted I can't make it to the Fringe this year, partly because the room rental is now absolutely INSANE.

I think this is one of the better songs on the album - it actually feels thought out and arranged. Ray does well.

It's funny. I've always thought that CAS has been unfairly dismissed. I think there are some really good songs on there, especially One Man's Fool, which I think is one of their best late period songs.

But I've revisited the album recently and it now just feels like a midtempo, badly arranged, slightly dirgey set of tracks. Ive realised that the good songs are horribly outnumbered.

For the first time I'm really start to wonder what they were thinking. And it potentially illustrates just what Phil took with him - not just the voice and drumming of course. But a sense of what the song is supposed to be doing and where it is going. That is sadly lacking on this album.

Thanks for this. Really interesting stuff.

I have to go a long way down that list to find the first song that I wouldn't put so high (Land of Confusion).