Posts by KeithC

I've been a Hawkwind fan as long as Genesis. I didn't intend to include compilations but if I had, would have included Roadhawks. I bought this on release in April 1976 and it was one of my most played albums, brilliantly compiled as you say. Finally released on CD in 2021.

Presumably he is referring to a UK release of the PBS doc. I would be happy to have this as part of a blu ray set comprising the When in Rome concert, and the Come Rain or Shine doc. Given the stature of the band and their longevity, I think we have been poorly served by Tony Smith over the years. If Steve Hackett can put out high quality videos of his tours, which are on a much smaller scale, I can't see why Genesis couldn't. The excellent When in Rome concert was put out on DVD only. Come on Tony Smith do keep up, everything is in HD now. That none of the 2021/22 shows have apparently been filmed shows that Tony Smith has lost the plot.

My son (14) and I often chat about music when we are in the car. He asked what were my favourite albums, and while there are many, it made me think about which ones were perfect, those where you like every track, in other words, all killer no filler. These are mine:

Genesis - A Trick of the Tail

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon

Marillion - Script for a Jester's Tear

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Blondie - Parallel Lines

Meatloaf - Bat Out of Hell

ABC - The Lexicon of Love

The Manhattan Transfer - Pastiche

it's probably heresy, but Supper's Ready has never been a big favourite of mine (although I like parts of it), and I doubt it would be in my top 20 (maybe even lower!).

This list is like that compiled for Marillion tracks, when Hogarth songs are at the top and Fish era material scrapes the bottom. Marillion were a great band with Fish, but I lost interest when he left. Saw them live in the early 80s, fantastic.

The last studio album I bought was Duke so the list doesn't reflect my taste.

Ripples @ 89

A Trick of the Tail @ 94

Hairless Heart @ 98 (wish they would have played this more often)

Afterglow @ 103 (really!)

Many too many @ 129 (a favourite)

I always think you can tell how good a song is when it is just played on piano, recently discovered Elpidia Giardina on YouTube. I'd like to see Tony just playing like her.

Same with Rick Wakeman's piano tribute to Bowie (Space Oddity/Life on Mars).

I like some of PF's music but wouldn't say I was a fan. The last album I bought was The Wall, and saw them perform it live twice at Earl's Court in 1980/81. I can pass on their solo work but love David's Live at Pompeii blu ray, an iconic location with superb musicianship and light show. The blu ray box with supplementary songs from other locations on tour plus documentary shows what Genesis could do as a thank-you to fans.

Peter and Mike have done a few bits I've liked, but it has to be Phil. He has deservedly had huge success as a solo artist, but Tony and Steve's solo efforts have lacked something. Phil has it all, great musician, writer, singer, and collaborator. It's not just ex-Genesis, it's the same with PF, Dave and Roger's best work was always as members of the band.

I always thought they should have gone straight into Turn It On Again rather than Duke's Intro (same with the studio album, I never liked the order on vinyl, now of course you can programme the order you like!).

Encore should have been Follow You Follow Me then Carpet Crawlers.

I've never liked Mama or I Can't Dance.

Finally, I wasn't there but while we can discuss our favourites and their merits for inclusion, I think it's unforgivable (and inexplicable) that they didn't play Ripples.

I just cannot see any reunion, it seems very unlikely that Tony or Mike will want to guest on Steve's shows, and accepting that Phil is done with Genesis, a new singer would have to be found and the last time this happened it wasn't a happy experience. I think Steve would have been up for a reunion anytime over the past couple of decades but this has always been unlikely as evidenced by the BBC doc. Also, Steve left abruptly in the 70s and I doubt Tony has forgiven him! It's just wishful thinking and teasing from Steve.

I've never been a big fan but like their earlier albums. Only seen them once live in the 80s. Another of the great bands of my youth that is no more.

Kate is the greatest female musical talent the UK has ever produced. What I like about her, apart from her song writing, is the way she has conducted her career always on her own terms.

Steve thinks where there's life there's hope but the chance of a reunion, particularly now, is zero. Personally, I've never been bothered about a reunion, it was so long ago, Steve's band is doing a good job playing the older material, but the others have now left the stage. Some bands have continued touring since the 70s, but Genesis has been a stop-start affair.

Hopefully though we will see a blu ray of When in Rome, and this could include some content from the final tour. If they put out a decent set similar to Gilmour's Live at Pompeii. This has the main concert on one disc (When in Rome) and selected performances from two other shows together with documentaries (Come Rain or Shine + last tour) on another. Nice memento for fans and a nice little earner for them!

I didn't see any performances on this tour, but I've seen enough YouTube videos and interviews to appreciate how frail Phil is. I do think it's time he retired (not enough performers retire) and everyone can remember him for the great singer and stage performer he was.

We can never know what goes on behind the scenes, but Genesis seem to have had a very stop-start live career, with very long gaps between tours. Obviously we wish Covid and Phil's health hadn't got in the way this time, but they should have done this tour years ago.