Posts by Dobey Kweeg

Yes/talking nonsense

Ahhh... I beg to differ. I don't think Steve and probably most of the posters here are under any illusions about how likely a re-union is, they're just practising the noble art of hanging on to hope in what seems like a hopeless situation. Doesn't make much difference, usually. But every now and then miracles do happen, and I'd say the last 47 Genesis shows constituted one such miracle, so even though I know you're absolutely right (in a sense) I prefer to see such talk as high spirited optimism.

First off, thanks to all of you who posted videos and thoughts on the final show (for those of you who were lucky enough to be in attendance last night at the O2). But, forgive me if I'm reading in between the lines, it sounded all a bit "anticlimactic". Not bringing Steve and Peter out for 1 song was a bit of a downer to long-time fans. At the very least, introducing them and thanking them for their contributions would have been a nice gesture and a way to close the loop. As someone stated, "it was business as usual" which is disappointing as a final show. From the sounds of it, the show could have happened in the US, Germany or anywhere else they played on this tour. Then again, Genesis have never bent over backwards for their fans (I know that I'll get torched for saying this) or have never struck me as such. They do what they want to do. And as far as the "they owe us nothing" argument, I can buy that in some respects but the reality is that they would not exist without the support (financial and otherwise) of their fanbase so let's temper that a little bit, shall we? And finally, for those of you hoping for a Phil solo tour, uhhh, keep dreaming. If you think he looks beat up now, he will exponentially look worse in the next couple of years. Sorry if this is a bit of a downer as a message..... This is the end....

Sorry to be blunt (on my first post!) but I do think in reading between the lines you've missed the point somewhat, although you do kind of get there in the end. I was at the O2 last night. My first Genesis show, so I'm not so sure about 'business as usual' even though I've been a fan since '86 and I've heard and watched enough concert footage to know what you mean. Before the show I was hoping for a Peter Gabriel appearance, I'd love to hear him sing those last two songs. But in the moment with Phil cracking jokes about his health it seemed far more important that it was Phil's last show than Genesis' last show. Because you're right, the chances of him coming back from retirement again are as good as none. I actually think there's more chance of Peter rejoining Genesis than Phil playing live again. Everyone else on that stage will have the chance to do more shows, indeed Tony aside it's almost certain that all of them will play live again at some point. Maybe even as part of a different version of Genesis, although I know that's not likely. But this was Phil's last show. For real. Again, I've not enough experience to say for sure, but I don't think the atmosphere in that room last night was anywhere near business as usual. Amazing show.