Posts by Backdrifter

Probably one for UK members, Nicholas Parsons leaves us, aged 96. Actor, comedian, presenter, raconteur, quiz host, and for decades the lynchpin of Just A Minute.

Manchester July 7 2007.

in front of an audience that seemed to range from toddlers to geriatrics

After the gig I saw a group of teens in full goth gear, clutching their tour programmes. I felt strangely touched and even more strangely proud!

The next day at Twickenham we were near a man and his son of about 10. When they launched into Behind The Lines the wide-eyed look of wonder on the boy's face was a sight to behold. You just knew he'd listened to this stuff at home and simply couldn't believe it was now being played live right in front of him. He welled up and I very nearly followed.

Just to puncture that touching moment I also recall just before showtime Trevor Eve walked past in full double denim.

"Genesis in concert. With Trevor Eve. Sunday at 8. At Twickenham Stadium."

(Very niche humorous reference for those in the know)

I've watched the first two episodes of Good Omens, about an angel and a demon who have to reluctantly work together to protect their own interests. It's a neat idea and I'm a big fan of Michael Sheen and David Tennant who are both in it along with some impressive other names. But I'm struggling with it, it too often tries too hard to be overly quirky. At the moment I'm not sure I'll be going any further with it.

I gave up watching after episode 1. Dracula was too comic to be frightening which dispelled the tension & horror of other scenes, the wise-cracking nun was so convinced of her own brilliance that she was downright irritating, & several scenes including Dracula trying to enter the convent just dragged on too long. It would have worked better as a pantomime.

Disappointing – expected better from the creators of Sherlock :rolleyes:

I was wary of it precisely because it was by the Sherlock team. I quite like Sherlock and will always watch it, but found it too often overly rather pleased with itself. There was some of this in Dracula but it gradually got better. I was worried it would become pantomimic but it swerved away from that and ultimately it achieved something I hadn't seen before: it made Dracula quite scary and ruthless, which I've never previously found the character to be. So on the whole I ended up enjoying it.

But I must give special mention to a very overlooked and largely forgotten 1998 C4 series Ultraviolet. It was ahead of the vampire "revival" curve and did a great job of modernising the whole vampire thing, and without ever even mentioning the V-word.

I never liked the medley approach to their old material, play 2 or 3 songs (shorter ones perhaps) in their entirety instead of the 'bone tossing' mish-mash.

I didn't mind some of the medley-ing. I liked the Europe 87 one as it gave us 3 complete songs, Cage-Quiet Earth-Afterglow. The Cinema Show segment they sometimes did worked really well and had great energy. But the WCD tour one chopped the songs up too much and, as you say, we didn't get the chance to hear an older song in its entirety. In particular the axing of Los Endos after 2 decades was quite disappointing.

Again, I never have any issue with a band front-loading their new stuff, any self-respecting act should do that. But they could've thrown the older dogs a slightly bigger bone!

A very frustrating song for me. It starts well, the chanting with the keyboard line phasing in, then the chords and the shift into the main body of the song all make an excellent intro. It was the first CAS track I heard, and I straight away liked the darker feel and RW's voice, then that strong chorus. So far so good.

Then it just sort of deflates. A really lame and superfluous keyboard solo leads into what sounds like it's shaping up to be an extended middle section. I imagined it taking us on a diversion and routing us neatly back to the chorus and a conclusion. Errrr but no it just fades right there! If this song was a graph it would start on a high upward curve, plateau and then plummet. A great big disappointment of an initially promising song.

I liked the WCD tour lighting as well and the projection screen also. It was a good tour, saw them in Philadelphia (Vet Stadium).

A great set-up but I thought the set list reached the point where the older material became too marginalised. I always admire bands with the conviction to focus on their latest stuff and always defended Genesis's approach in that sense, but on that tour I was a bit saddened they crushed all the older stuff into one medley of snippets. Even Los Endos got dumped!

They considered opening with Behind the Lines but decided not to.

The Mama tour saw the varilites more perfected with great saturation and diversity in the lighting effects. Some think the Mama tour featured their best light show EVER.

It was an interesting one, partly for the very different configuration with Banks in the middle and the guitarists either side. This and the even more varilite-intensive IT show we're impressive. But I'm a big fan of the WCD tour set-up which pushed the lights to the margins and resulted in them being used more effectively, in my view.

You may be correct. But they were much more developed in 1983. I think these must be the early stages of LED lighting. I think the guy who created them is Mark Brickman.

I was fortunate to see Gabriel with Genesis four times (unequaled).

The 1981 tour was definitely the first varilite tour but yes the 83 tour made them more prominent and featured a more developed version of the lights. On the IT tour the entire rig was varilites.