Posts by Backdrifter

I'm avoiding the setlist discussion thread with all the potential spoilers :)

I'm inclined to avoid it too as I want to go into my first gig completely in the dark, but nevertheless I've still been checking in on the thread. Pre-tour, once you sift out the pie-in-the-sky speculating and wish-listing there's really just discussion of the stuff we'd pretty much all predict they'll likely play. Once the first gig has taken place the thread is definitely a no-go zone for me.

A clip that proves it is perfectly possible for a drummer around Nic’s age to handle Apocalypse in 9/8 beautifully. If it’s not in the set because of Phil’s voice I can live with that. But If they don’t play it on this tour because Nic couldn’t handle it I’m gonna be royally PO’d, not at Nic but at Phil for insisting the band employ a drummer who can’t handle the complexities of their prog-era stuff.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

:D

Don't forget it's Banks and Rutherford who went to the PC gig and said, yeah this could work so make sure you're pissed off at them too for the sake of balance and fairness!

Sometimes these pre-tour threads can get infuriating but this is great. We've not only speculated the crap out of the unknown setlist, as is required of course, but have decided on what's been rejected, the reasons why and identified the possible exclusion of one number as the basis for the complexity of all their prog-era stuff being beyond the capabilities of their drummer.

This is gold, guys. Gold! Keep it coming!

We have movie theaters here in the states that do dinner and a movie. Their called The Movie Tavern. You actually have waiters or waitresses come around and take your food order during the movie. I went once and found it distracting.

I would try this concert and food thing though if i lived where it’s happening.

I haven't been to these TBs shows but other 'event dining' deals I know of have the act come on after any food service. Which would especially make sense at an acoustic music performance otherwise a gentle guitar piece would be punctuated by cutlery scraping on plates, chomping slurping sounds, clinking wine glasses, loud whispers of "could you pass the salt/ pepper/butter/bread/ornithula macarounada (etc)" and heated arguments over the drinks bill.

We'll see..... It wasn't meant as a dismissive comment but an objective statement. Genesis, in the late '80s was "the" band to see along with many others that have come and gone. In fact, many fans routinely confused Phil Collins (solo) and Genesis in their respective heydays.

"Bandwagon" is pretty widely used in a derogatory way and that combined with the many times I've seen and heard Genesis fans use it dismissively about certain other fans, ie ones who became fans in the 80s (and weren't "proper fans"), made it feel like that's what you were doing. If you weren't, fair enough.

Those fans who came to the band through the 80s hits, and yes some of whom conflated Genesis and Collins solo, to me were/are just fans. People become fans through different routes and manifest their fandom in various ways. Those who bemoan their post-80 work and only want to hear 70s stuff could in their own way stand to be accused of bandwagonry and fandom that's lacking in some way, but hey they're just doing their thing too.

I don't think we will see what the 'fan demographics' are on this tour, I'm not sure how we'd know. I was just saying my gut feeling is there'll be more of the fans you referred to than you might expect.

Hope you enjoying your time in Edinburgh. Last year when there was no festival it was a strange time here but hopefully the buzz will now be back.

Ah the Meadows - such a large area. I am at the end near the tennis courts.

Thoroughly enjoying it thanks. God it's so good to be back here. Seeing lots of good productions, sinking a few cocktails and stuffing myself silly. I love Inverness, I really like the Black Isle where we currently live but there's still part of me that hankers to live here. London I lived in most of my life and will always be a Londoner. Berlin is the other place I'd love to live.

Yes in fact I strolled right past the tennis courts the other day.

It's less busy here than a normal Festival year, and although it's for obviously unfortunate reasons which makes me feel a little bad saying it, but I admit I like it like this. There's a buzz but it's not insanely crowded like previous years when I've been unable to walk on the pavements. Venues have spaced-out seating and at-seat bar service. But there are still shops, bars, cafés etc remaining closed, possibly never to re-open. Including, heartbreakingly for me, the Halfway House on Fleshmarket. Other favourites thankfully are open, but reduced periods. I'm glad to be here to bring business to some of them.

Writing this in the stadium bar at Tynecastle where I'm about to watch a play about one of the earliest women's football teams.

was this tour officially called the "mirrors tour", like on posters etc? And why - just because of use of mirrored lighting?

No it wasn't officially called that. As far as I know if it had an official name it was just the And Then There Were Three tour. Many fans refer to it as The Mirrors Tour because, yes, it was the tour that had the big mirrors.

I killed some time sat on a bench on The Meadows so was possibly very nearby you genesis1964 assuming you're at home. Now at the excellent Three Birds enjoying a reliably good dinner before strolling over to the Cameo to see The Sparks Brothers.

Sometimes, life is Good (deliberate cap).

I am in Denmark right now for three weeks. We are at the West Coast boarding at a holiday house in the dunes. The weather is quite cold but mostly fine. We did long trips with the bike across the fantastic dune landscape and visited the lovely little towns all around. Weather permitted a bath in the North Sea on two days so far. Wifey is still waiting for a SUP trip on the firth once the permanent wind goes down a bit.

Have you been up to - Skagen is it? - where you can actually see 2 seas converging? Somewhere I'd like to visit.

I always like Danish people I meet. They tend to have a really pleasant slightly off-beat character.

I'm stupidly excited because on Tuesday I head off for 8 days at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. It's just about my favourite thing, my favourite city and usually do it every year but of course it didn't happen last year. I'll be in my usual apartment just along from the Grassmarket, going to see about 25 productions and 3 films, and meals at 4 of my favourite restaurants. Pure indulgence.

I'll be on the early morning train from Inverness, in Edinburgh by 11.30, first show at 5pm... staged on a beach. Sure it might rain but I couldn't care less.

Mrs B has to work, unlike Mr Leisure that I am, but she joins me for the last 4 days. She'll come to a couple of the shows with me but otherwise will keep herself occupied, she loves the city too.

I've just finished all my packing today, made the final arrangements so can relax tomorrow. Oh man, I can't wait.

(Oh and we're both fully vaccinated. Just thought I'd mention it).

Guy Garvey playing Entangled on his BBC 6Music show as I write this, he introduced it saying it was a favourite track from his childhood and means a lot to everyone in Elbow and he dedicated it to them.